Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd say Holmberg, Steeves and Abruzzese could easily fill in. McMann could too and then one of them could play on the 4th line.
Steeves and Abruzzese are cannon fodder, to say they easily step in really over states their value. Robertson is way better than either one of those too imo, they’re warm bodies. Holmberg just disappoints of late really too.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Steeves and Abruzzese are cannon fodder, to say they easily step in really over states their value. Robertson is way better than either one of those too imo, they’re warm bodies. Holmberg just disappoints of late really too.

Really thought Holmberg would take a spot. He showed some positive glimpses last year
Doesn't look like he's able to take the next step

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Really thought Holmberg would take a spot. He showed some positive glimpses last year
Doesn't look like he's able to take the next step
He hasn’t looked bad to me I don’t know maybe I missed the shifts where he was horrible if your looking at stats he was in the middle of Gregor and reeves no easy feat

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Anyone else concerned about Robertson's play?

I mean he's definitely not in the lineup for his defensive prowess, so he needs to be producing offensively.

Has 1 goal in his last 16 games.
From what I see mgmt has got him playing a different style. I know posters hated watching the water bug player but that is how he needs to play to be effective.

This is exactly how you get Marchment's

He's another player who wasn't given a decent opportunity even when he was doing well with very limited opportunity because our coach thinks he knows better

Robertson put up points in the AHL, he's at about half a PPG in the NHL playing 10 minutes a game and he's only 22
Thats after our bottom 6 couldn't do **** to start the season

Work with him and develop him Keefe you Babcock imitating moron
Add Trevor Moore. 16 goals this year

Last edited:
Reactions: Duffman955 and Kiwi

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
From what I see mgmt has got him playing a different style. I know posters hated watching the water bug player but that is how he needs to play to be effective.

Add Trevor Moore. 16 goals this year
Yeah when he was flying around finishing checcs and being tenacious he was his most effective I feel like keefe has him squeezing his Sticc too tight

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Yeah when he was flying around finishing checcs and being tenacious he was his most effective I feel like keefe has him squeezing his Sticc too tight
I think the issue for Robertson is that there are (at least) four wingers ahead of him on the depth chart. He is behind Marner, Nylander, Bertuzzi and Knies...so he gets third line ice time with a centre that is not defensively responsible and he gets sheltered and limited minutes.

He is develop though and can do this by playing ten minutes a night as long as he plays every night. This guy have not played a lot of games the past three years and is being brought along slowly which is not to say "Keefe doesn't like him".

Which winger's ice time are you reducing to give Robertson more time right now? He needs to be patient, put in the work and be ready when a larger opportunity presents itself.

I am not a fan of dumping him and I don't know what his trade value is but he is the guy I would consider moving for a decent return (along with Holmberg and Timmins). With Cowan and Minten coming and Knies continuing to develop Robertson may have difficulty carving out a meaningful role on this team.

Robertson, Timmins and picks for a dman with some term?

Reactions: Nevins and arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think the issue for Robertson is that there are (at least) four wingers ahead of him on the depth chart. He is behind Marner, Nylander, Bertuzzi and Knies...so he gets third line ice time with a centre that is not defensively responsible and he gets sheltered and limited minutes.

He is develop though and can do this by playing ten minutes a night as long as he plays every night. This guy have not played a lot of games the past three years and is being brought along slowly which is not to say "Keefe doesn't like him".

Which winger's ice time are you reducing to give Robertson more time right now? He needs to be patient, put in the work and be ready when a larger opportunity presents itself.

I am not a fan of dumping him and I don't know what his trade value is but he is the guy I would consider moving for a decent return (along with Holmberg and Timmins). With Cowan and Minten coming and Knies continuing to develop Robertson may have difficulty carving out a meaningful role on this team.

Robertson, Timmins and picks for a dman with some term?

I don't know anything about him, just: Kyle Burroughs Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | San Jose Sharks | Sports Forecaster

They need scoring, and certainly, on a team like the Sharks Robertson could make the trade look bad, but as you say, who is he playing ahead of in Toronto?

He looks like a 3rd. liner, and perhaps next year he breaks out.

It is really difficult to know if selling him now is high or low. He has no history in the NHL of being a good player. He's young, too much exposure too soon. Too many injuries to have a good history as a pro.

If he's moved who is recalled? Steeves?

Reactions: conFABulator

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I don't know anything about him, just: Kyle Burroughs Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | San Jose Sharks | Sports Forecaster

They need scoring, and certainly, on a team like the Sharks Robertson could make the trade look bad, but as you say, who is he playing ahead of in Toronto?

He looks like a 3rd. liner, and perhaps next year he breaks out.

It is really difficult to know if selling him now is high or low. He has no history in the NHL of being a good player. He's young, too much exposure too soon. Too many injuries to have a good history as a pro.

If he's moved who is recalled? Steeves?

Ugh I'd rather keep Robertson. Dude could break out into a poor man's Caufield - he's already at almost half a PPG with very limited ice time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Ugh I'd rather keep Robertson. Dude could break out into a poor man's Caufield - he's already at almost half a PPG with very limited ice time.

Yes, he could turn into a top 6 winger.
He is only 22, 9 months younger than Kokkomen, half a year older than Villeneuve. No one is writing them off.

Leafs have a list of ones who got away.

How about a Brendan Gallagher? Nah, doesn't have enough hate in him.

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Luke Kunin seems like a Treliving type of player but Idk if he has that much offensive prowess as a 3rd line center.

But he also plays for the sharks so it's swayed. He was nice in Nashville

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If they could make one of the following ...

Colton Sissons
Yakov Trenin
Nick BJugstad
Scott Laughton
Luke Kunin
With the exception of Kunin, they are all still in a playoff hunt, so it would be difficult to get them a this point.

With the Sharks, Burroughs, as you mentioned, could be an interesting guy to look at.

I can't really rationalize the necessity for him, although I think he would be an upgrade on Domi, but Granlund, is someone I'd be looking at.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
With the exception of Kunin, they are all still in a playoff hunt, so it would be difficult to get them a this point.

With the Sharks, Burroughs, as you mentioned, could be an interesting guy to look at.

I can't really rationalize the necessity for him, although I think he would be an upgrade on Domi, but Granlund, is someone I'd be looking at.
You talkin about the same Burroughs that played for van ?? No Thank You

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think we're starting to overrate Robertson a bit because of 1 week. Is his potential higher? Of course it is, but this guy has barely played hockey the last 3-4 years because of injury and apparently he's too good for the AHL and we're at risk of him demanding a trade if he doesn't stick with the Leafs. Holmberg may be boring and I wouldn't mind an upgrade over him but he plays a simple game and he's not a huge liability on defence which I think would help Domi having 2 wingers who are defensively responsible. Robertson hasn't exactly been lighting the lamp since that 1 or 2 week stretch so I don't want to hear we'd be losing a lot of offence either. If Fabbro is possibly available then maybe try and get Trenin involved in the deal as well who is a good skating physical and good defensive 3rd line winger/PKer. Idk if Nashville would look to move anyone else except Fabbro though because I believe they are starting to get it together and looking pretty good, but you never know and those are 2 guys who would fit well here. Again though, Robertson just seems like he's just gonna keep slipping down our depth chart on the left side with Greb and Cowan.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Not Alex, if that's who you're thinking of.

Kyle, however, who played for Van last year and SJ this, has some interesting numbers that may make him a decent pick-up.
He is a smaller lybushkin.. same play style same expectation.. adequate depth defenceman

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He is a smaller lybushkin.. same play style same expectation.. adequate depth defenceman
Yep, and some people wouldn't mind if they got him back.

But In contrast to Timmins, for example, he seems to be much more adept at defensive usage. Which is a + in and of itself, but it also allows you to use the top 4 (Rielly's pairing) with even more OZS.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

But In contrast to Timmins, for example, he seems to be much more adept at defensive usage. Which is a + in and of itself, but it also allows you to use the top 4 (Rielly's pairing) with even more OZS.
Or you just get rielly a partner and push everyone where they should go

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Is not worth acquiring at all
not with benoit and lagesson.. basically same players

defensive third pair sure, like benoit and lagesson

Reactions: arso40

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Or you just get rielly a partner and push everyone where they should go.
Yes, the issue there is finding such a partner is difficult, and as long as Brodie is here, he'll likely be used as the go-to guy with Morgan.

So tailoring the the other two pairings to best help you maximize Rielly's is the next best step, I think anyway.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
defensive third pair sure, like benoit and lagesson
But right-handed. FWIW.

Also, for more than half of his games this year, Burroughs has played more than 20 minutes. Which is something we don't expect Lagesson or Benoit to give. So, perhaps there's more to give.

But taking into account the numbers, age, contract, and cost to acquire, he may be a much better get than Tanev at this point.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
But right-handed. FWIW.

Also, for more than half of his games this year, Burroughs has played more than 20 minutes. Which is something we don't expect Lagesson or Benoit to give. So, perhaps there's more to give.

But taking into account the numbers, age, contract, and cost to acquire, he may be a much better get than Tanev at this point.
Right handed shot no withstanding.. context of his usage is that he is on san jose - he was running thwir powerplay for a bit

I like him dont get me wrong i just dont see what he does relative to the leafs pushing to be a contender this year or next.

Reactions: arso40
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad