Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That's fine. However, IMO, even amongst the depth already here, he may offer something better/different due to being used as a top 4 guy in SJ.

Yep, trying to hit homeruns all the time won't win you games.

Sometimes a bunt to move someone over is the right decision.

Let's say you can get a 3rd. pairing defender you can use on the 2nd. pair for 3 year for 1.1mm for a reasonable cost. Probably better than trying to fit a 4th. pairing defender there, or even using minor leaguers there.

Of course, Leafs don't have much capital, and what they did have in the summer wasn't spent wisely.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yep, trying to hit homeruns all the time won't win you games.

Sometimes a bunt to move someone over is the right decision.

Let's say you can get a 3rd. pairing defender you can use on the 2nd. pair for 3 year for 1.1mm for a reasonable cost. Probably better than trying to fit a 4th. pairing defender there, or even using minor leaguers there.

Of course, Leafs don't have much capital, and what they did have in the summer wasn't spent wisely.
And yet some think we can get a better batch this summer with less capital than last year. With the cap rising, cost of UFAs will also rise. Need to draft and develop but we are in too deep to take a step back to take two forward.

Reactions: All Mod Cons

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And yet some think we can get a better batch this summer with less capital than last year. With the cap rising, cost of UFAs will also rise. Need to draft and develop but we are in too deep to take a step back to take two forward.

Domi and Bertuzzi

Combined:
64 games
8 goals

CapHit: $8.5mm

How much worse could it be?

Is this a true reflection of the players, or is it something else?

Last edited:

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
It would never happen but if we were sellers at the deadline it would set the franchise up for years of strength.

Nylander for ???
Bertuzzi
Domi
Brodie
Kampf

Then use that draft and prospect capital for years to come.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
It would never happen but if we were sellers at the deadline it would set the franchise up for years of strength.

Nylander for ???
Bertuzzi
Domi
Brodie
Kampf

Get marner and/or Tavares to waive, and move him/them to a team that gets him for next year as well, and has time to re-sign him.

Get Leafs to retain for a year.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

Nylander for ???
Bertuzzi
Domi
Brodie
Kampf

It is one of those situations where you take one step back to take a step forward.
The team has too many holes right now and it would be ridiculous to throw assets on short term solutions.

Not sure what to do about Nylander but all the others listed there should be available in a trade because there is a high likelihood they won't be here past this year or could end up a negative asset (Kampf)

Bertuzzi would probably be open to a trade to a team willing to extend him. So I don't think waiving his NTC will be an issue in the right situation.
I think he may have the most trade value.

Domi could be moved to a contender desperate for a 2C/3C.
The fact that he has played C rather than wing for the Leafs probably helps his trade value.

Brodie if you retain 50% could have a buyer if someone is desperate for a D and hoping a change of scenery helps.
But I don't expect much here.

Kampf at 2.4 M.... you sell to the highest bidder and don't look back. If you don't give him the optimal wingers, he becomes a negative in the Leafs lineup.
It is just not a risk I am willing to take going forward when this team isn't even a contender. If you are a contender, and need him to fit a very specific 4C role, he may be worth it. But that is not the situation right now with the Leafs.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Not sure why people want to move on from Bertuzzi… I’m assuming it’s the lack of scoring but he’s made Tavares look decent again 5on5.

Because he isn't worth 5.5 M to the Leafs, and definitely not on a multi-year deal which he could command in the summer.

I take that cap in the offseason and get a Top 4 D.

Reactions: Budz

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Because he isn't worth 5.5 M to the Leafs, and definitely not on a multi-year deal which he could command in the summer.

Brodie and Klingberg along free up 9.15 million total. You can easily sign a top 4 defenceman using that.

Reactions: Rocker13

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know Weekes said that the Panthers wanted to re-sign both Montour and Forsling but things seemed to have quieted down there.

I wonder if we could get Forsling on a 5-6 year deal at 5.5-5.85M ?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yes, but I am getting 2 of them. ;)
If Demelo hits free agency, I think he should be target number 1. Rielly - Demelo top pair. Ideally you sign him to a similar Brodie type deal. Then I’d look for a solid third pair who can provide a little bit of offence such as Carrier potentially.

Rielly - Demelo
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - Carrier

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I know Weekes said that the Panthers wanted to re-sign both Montour and Forsling but things seemed to have quieted down there.

I wonder if we could get Forsling on a 5-6 year deal at 5.5-5.85M ?

Montour's numbers seem to have cratered but his skating and puck rushing abilities are interesting. He used to have a lower IQ reputation but last year he seemed to be outskating all his mistakes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Demelo hits free agency, I think he should be target number 1. Rielly - Demelo top pair. Ideally you sign him to a similar Brodie type deal. Then I’d look for a solid third pair who can provide a little bit of offence such as Carrier potentially.

Rielly - Demelo
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - Carrier

Man, DeMelo's been my guy for so long. Seems like he's cut from that old school two way Giordano cloth. Small and compact, RHD.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Montour's numbers seem to have cratered but his skating and puck rushing abilities are interesting. He used to have a lower IQ reputation but last year he seemed to be outskating all his mistakes.

I don't know what to make of the year so far - he came back from injury - maybe by the time playoffs are here he is back to normal.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
We should try and trade for Hanifin if we can extend him. That gives us three long-term pillars on the backend, Rielly, Lily, and Hanifin.

How close would a package of 1st round pick, Nick Robertson, and Conor Timmins get us?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021

Bertuzzi is the type of player we should be supporting the core with. He's expensive at the moment but think of him as a buy low opportunity this offseason, and his current one year overpay a tax to get him into the club for free. He's a perfect fit for the team, is in the process of building chemistry already, and has the upside of a 40 goal season.

If he likes it here and wants to resign 100% keep him and get the price point fair. Build with patience.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If our 1st is moving, I'd like it to be in another McCabe type deal, but this time a RHD partner for Rielly.

1st round pick+
for
Steady physical #4 RHD with multiple years at 3.5 or less, + a solid depth forward (preferably a pker) with an extra year at a low cap number

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bertuzzi is the type of player we should be supporting the core with. He's expensive at the moment but think of him as a buy low opportunity this offseason, and his current one year overpay a tax to get him into the club for free. He's a perfect fit for the team, is in the process of building chemistry already, and has the upside of a 40 goal season.

If he likes it here and wants to resign 100% keep him and get the price point fair. Build with patience.
Five points, in the last five games... seems to be finding out how to be a good complimentary piece for our skilled guys. It's hard to figure out what the price to pay for him is though... I guess we'd have to see how he performs the rest of the way.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and LeafEgo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad