Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If our 1st is moving, I'd like it to be in another McCabe type deal, but this time a RHD partner for Rielly.

1st round pick+
for
Steady physical #4 RHD with multiple years at 3.5 or less, + a solid depth forward (preferably a pker) with an extra year at a low cap number
Larsson is above your dollar value, but perhaps we could get them to retain?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Bertuzzi is the type of player we should be supporting the core with. He's expensive at the moment but think of him as a buy low opportunity this offseason, and his current one year overpay a tax to get him into the club for free. He's a perfect fit for the team, is in the process of building chemistry already, and has the upside of a 40 goal season.

If he likes it here and wants to resign 100% keep him and get the price point fair. Build with patience.

He’s a 29 year old grinder with extensive injury issues, bad skating, and a limited skill set. Short term deals in the high 3s to low 4s is all I’d give him, anything long term is a ticking time bomb.

Reactions: andora

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Age wise and play wise, Hanafin needs to be the target, but you need to able to pay him and resign after. Don't see the point in adding a 34 year Tanev.

Don't see the point in trading a 1st this year unless you're resigning the player to be with you for longer then a year.

Toronto has to many holes to fill right now to be trading for rental players.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It's a comprehensive article.

But the most interesting thing was the bit about zone entries, and because of that, I am not sure Tanev alone will be all that much improvement.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Age wise and play wise, Hanafin needs to be the target, but you need to able to pay him and resign after. Don't see the point in adding a 34 year Tanev.

Don't see the point in trading a 1st this year unless you're resigning the player to be with you for longer then a year.

Toronto has to many holes to fill right now to be trading for rental players.
I absolutely agree. Our roster is quite old actually, it is concerning. We need to moving our premium assets for younger, longterm solutions.

Reactions: Al14 and Rocker13

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
He’s a 29 year old grinder with extensive injury issues, bad skating, and a limited skill set. Short term deals in the high 3s to low 4s is all I’d give him, anything long term is a ticking time bomb.
Rather than limited skill set I'd say desirable toolbox for the Leafs.

For whatever guessing is worth at the moment that's sounds like fair value but it could change by seasons and playoffs end. Alls I'm saying is if he wants to stay with the team more than he wants to leverage his ufa status to chase an overpay we should be including him in the program going forward.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Thing is Montour has never been that good aside from last year’s breakout!

The year before, 11 goals and 37 pts in 81GP isn't bad

He's playing at a 27 pt/pace right now but not sure if it picks up.

I'd definitely prefer Forsling to Montour though.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Rather than limited skill set I'd say desirable toolbox for the Leafs.

For whatever guessing is worth at the moment that's sounds like fair value but it could change by seasons and playoffs end. Alls I'm saying is if he wants to stay with the team more than he wants to leverage his ufa status to chase an overpay we should be including him in the program going forward.

I get it he fills the net front niche well and is kind of good on the wall but that’s about all he’s good for. If Tavares slows down and Nylander prices himself out, Bert isn’t capable of carrying the puck in, he’s not a shooting threat from distance, and he’s not much of a playmaker unless it’s a foot away from the net.

Basically his value depends on us having someone who can do all the actual work in getting the puck from our zone to the front of the net so Bertuzzi can do his thing, those guys need to get paid first and then whatever is leftover after can go to Bert but never the other way around.

Reactions: LeafEgo

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Domi and Bertuzzi

Combined:
64 games
8 goals

CapHit: $8.5mm

How much worse could it be?

Is this a true reflection of the players, or is it something else?
This feels pretty close to Domi's usual numbers, especially when he's not on a bottom feeder getting fed prime minutes. Maybe a goal or two off the usual pace for the Dallas, Carolina, Jackets days that were somewhat competitive teams.

Bert had 8 goals in 50 games last year, 6 in 32 this year. It's not the 30 goal guy any of us wanted, but does seem in line with play last year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This feels pretty close to Domi's usual numbers, especially when he's not on a bottom feeder getting fed prime minutes. Maybe a goal or two off the usual pace for the Dallas, Carolina, Jackets days that were somewhat competitive teams.

Bert had 8 goals in 50 games last year, 6 in 32 this year. It's not the 30 goal guy any of us wanted, but does seem in line with play last year.

So poor decisions from the get-go.

Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
We should try and trade for Hanifin if we can extend him. That gives us three long-term pillars on the backend, Rielly, Lily, and Hanifin.

How close would a package of 1st round pick, Nick Robertson, and Conor Timmins get us?
Why wouldn’t that work you get a top 9f I think he’s still got top 6 potential you get a top 6 dman with potential and a first rounder sounds like a haul to me

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think there's a $3 million difference between Bertuzzi and Jarnkrok.

I actually like Bertuzzi but the guys currently on pace for 15 goals/36 points and he can't drive play. At best that next contract needs to start with a 3. Maybe he'd be open to something with that aav on a 7-8 years worth of term, but who knows

I don't really see the point of trading him mid season though. The team needs him in the top 9.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I actually like Bertuzzi but the guys currently on pace for 15 goals/36 points and he can't drive play. At best that next contract needs to start with a 3. Maybe he'd be open to something with that aav on a 7-8 years worth of term, but who knows

I don't really see the point of trading him mid season though. The team needs him in the top 9.

I appreciate Bertuzzi's annoyingness and motor to disrupt out there and seems to have untapped garbage goal potential... but he's not exactly a $5.5 million man.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I appreciate Bertuzzi's annoyingness and motor to disrupt out there and seems to have untapped garbage goal potential... but he's not exactly a $5.5 million man.

Yep. He's entertaining and love the attitude, but that's not enough to justify that high of a caphit.

I actually hope he agrees to come back on another 1 year 'show me' deal

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A deal with Nashville for Trenin and Carrier would be nice. Would be willing to include Robertson in a deal as long as we’re confident we can extend both players.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
A deal with Nashville for Trenin and Carrier would be nice. Would be willing to include Robertson in a deal as long as we’re confident we can extend both players.

Converting Robertson into a Top 9 staple is probably a win for the Leafs at this point. Get someone who is a more defined contributor and accept the trade off of Robertson's potential in doing so.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Trenin - Domi - Jarnkrok could be a real pain in the ass to play against.

Next year, Trenin - Minten - Jarnkrok.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Bertuzzi will be very good in the playoffs, and that might make him difficult to resign at the dollars that the Leafs will have available.

Not sure how things will unfold for Bertuzzi and the Leafs to be honest. Most teams don't carry the kind of playoff underachiever label Toronto does, so even if he's good in the playoffs in terms of production, his AAV ask will still be negatively impacted by poor regular season numbers. That's a long way off in any case.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad