Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
But right-handed. FWIW.

Also, for more than half of his games this year, Burroughs has played more than 20 minutes. Which is something we don't expect Lagesson or Benoit to give. So, perhaps there's more to give.

But taking into account the numbers, age, contract, and cost to acquire, he may be a much better get than Tanev at this point.
For the worst team in the league if it’s not Ferraro from the sharks no thank you you have enough to get riellys partner Brodie doesn’t cut it and I don’t care what keefe thinks treliving didn’t resign him all those years ago he knows he wasn’t a top pair d when he left Calgary and he’s definitely not one now

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
i just dont see what he does relative to the leafs pushing to be a contender this year or next.
Well, I'm not putting all that on this trade. You can still go and get another D on top of that if you can find one and the price makes sense.

But having all those variables line up is proving to difficult while also not wanting to part with anything like Knies or higher on the value tier list.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I think we're starting to overrate Robertson a bit because of 1 week. Is his potential higher? Of course it is, but this guy has barely played hockey the last 3-4 years because of injury and apparently he's too good for the AHL and we're at risk of him demanding a trade if he doesn't stick with the Leafs. Holmberg may be boring and I wouldn't mind an upgrade over him but he plays a simple game and he's not a huge liability on defence which I think would help Domi having 2 wingers who are defensively responsible. Robertson hasn't exactly been lighting the lamp since that 1 or 2 week stretch so I don't want to hear we'd be losing a lot of offence either. If Fabbro is possibly available then maybe try and get Trenin involved in the deal as well who is a good skating physical and good defensive 3rd line winger/PKer. Idk if Nashville would look to move anyone else except Fabbro though because I believe they are starting to get it together and looking pretty good, but you never know and those are 2 guys who would fit well here. Again though, Robertson just seems like he's just gonna keep slipping down our depth chart on the left side with Greb and Cowan.
That's fine, he's still better than the guys you mentioned. I have a feeling he will do well if traded, he's under utilized with us.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
For the worst team in the league if it’s not Ferraro from the sharks no thank you you have enough to get riellys partner Brodie doesn’t cut it and I don’t care what keefe thinks treliving didn’t resign him all those years ago he knows he wasn’t a top pair d when he left Calgary and he’s definitely not one now
Unless they give up Nylander or Knies or maybe go for someone with a massive contract like Jones, the likelihood of getting a conventional top-pairing Dman is close to nil.

On Ferraro: Supposedly, Carolina went for him, and the price was too much. So what do we have to offer them?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Unless they give up Nylander or Knies or maybe go for someone with a massive contract like Jones, the likelihood of getting a conventional top-pairing Dman is close to nil.

On Ferraro: Supposedly, Carolina went for him, and the price was too much. So what do we have to offer them?

I can’t see what interest Carolina would have. Their D is already completely stacked.

Reactions: LeafSteel

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I can’t see what interest Carolina would have. Their D is already completely stacked.
skjei replacement

Well, I'm not putting all that on this trade. You can still go and get another D on top of that if you can find one and the price makes sense.

But having all those variables line up is proving to difficult while also not wanting to part with anything like Knies or higher on the value tier list.
it isn't the year to be buying

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Perhaps, but you would still like to improve somehow.
it's a tough decision - if you want to improve, you have to be comfortable knowing you are going to pay a price. if they appropriately identify and target a player that is in the age bracket with medium to long term term (either contract or re-signable) then suck it up and do it

imo it isn't a rental year, nor is trading for fringe remotely beneficial

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

I don’t even want him but if I’m listening on someone from the sharks it’s Ferraro there’s tons of players in the mold we’re looking for we don’t have to get another depth dman

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I don’t even want him but if I’m listening on someone from the sharks it’s Ferraro there’s tons of players in the mold we’re looking for we don’t have to get another depth dman
That's fine. However, IMO, even amongst the depth already here, he may offer something better/different due to being used as a top 4 guy in SJ.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Based on this years play you def extend 88 and seriously consider moving on from 16 if the ask is big…like at best 16 makes the same as 88 but I’d move on, we have too many needs and 16 play has declined

Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Of course, always better to acquire guys with term, but do the Leafs have tradeable assets to get guys with term?
i dont' think they have a ton of currency that wouldn't hurt to move - but pissing away more for rentals in a landscape where more teams than normal may feel like they're in it and prices may be higher than normal i don't care for either..

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I wonder what a guy like Jones would cost and what we could potentially unload in the process. He's crazy overpaid, but you're getting minutes and experience. Do you get rid of Kling, Sammy and maybe even grab a pick in the process? Does Chicago not care because of their current state?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wonder what a guy like Jones would cost and what we could potentially unload in the process. He's crazy overpaid, but you're getting minutes and experience. Do you get rid of Kling, Sammy and maybe even grab a pick in the process? Does Chicago not care because of their current state?
I'm not sure about the price, but he has an NMC and seems keen on staying in the US.

He could waive; his dad played for the Raps, so he's not unfamiliar with the area, but if he were to waive, Dallas seems to be his preferred spot.

The contract is also too long; I mean, I don't know if he's worth 9.5 now, so the last years of that contract may be rough. So they would need to retain a fair portion, and doing it over that amount of time is usually a no-go for teams.

It's a very complicated deal.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I'm not sure about the price, but he has an NMC and seems keen on staying in the US.

He could waive; his dad played for the Raps, so he's not unfamiliar with the area, but if he were to waive, Dallas seems to be his preferred spot.

The contract is also too long; I mean, I don't know if he's worth 9.5 now, so the last years of that contract may be rough. So they would need to retain a fair portion, and doing it over that amount of time is usually a no-go for teams.

It's a very complicated deal.
Plus Jones seems like the next Holl candidate here where fans will be waiting to chew him up after every game.

Reactions: horner

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I would trade those two a first round pic niemela maybe a middling pic if they retain I would be all over that he’s perfect

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's probably some combination of this but if you upgrade defense do you reduce our goals against by 0.5 per game? Do we win closer games? Is it bad goaltending at times? Or just classic Leafs playing down to competition?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It's probably some combination of this but if you upgrade defense do you reduce our goals against by 0.5 per game? Do we win closer games? Is it bad goaltending at times? Or just classic Leafs playing down to competition?

highly highly arguable. But I would think you could make a case to say that although it seems we've lost playoff rounds due to lack of offensive production, with better defenders we'd be supplying forwards with more opportunities for zone entries and puck possession. More aggressive defensemen capable of playing physically will tend to slow down opposing forwards on a rush more often, allowing backcheckers to catch opposing forwards and assist. More cerebral defenders don't bite as often on opposing forwards attempted moves, recognize and get in passing and shooting lanes more often, turn more pucks over, and don't get caught off-man or in positions they shouldn't (as often) in the D-zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad