Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scion

May 25, 2012
I wouldn't be opposed to Muzzin or Lindholm pattern deal, but I disagree wholeheartedly with the second bold, and the first bold is inconsistent with arguing against a RH McCabe. It all comes down to how we construct the D. Rielly needs the right partner to give us that minute munching playoff d pair- but that partner doesn't have to be another 7+ million dollar top pairingd. I'm not sold on renting Tanev or Savard as a good use of assets, and Peeke is definitely a gamble, but the right complementary guy to Mo- even if its more of a 4-5 type- with multiple years of control provides stability and consistency in the top pair, stops the merry go round, and absolutely moves the needle.

Another top pairing guy moves the needle also, but in a different way. It would allow us to have two "top pair" quality pairings- if we have the right partners for both Rielly and dmanX. Do we have that in house?
A 4-5 like McCabe doesn't move the needle as demonstrated by this current D corps with McCabe on it... When we had a similar core, but with Muzzin we were legit contenders and that is what we need to get back to even if it takes a retool year to redistribute cap.

Scion

May 25, 2012
And as far as free agents the players available that could help longer term are: Pesce, Skej, Forsling and Montour. Shorter term Tanev makes alot of sense as well.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, we're rapidly approaching re-tool territory. There are some good pieces on this team but it's clear we need to adjust a bit

The defense in particular needs to be restructured. It's not big and mean, neither is it small and skilled. It's just straight up bad and can get exposed in a variety of ways come playoff time. I shudder to think about a Florida forecheck against these guys.
Re-tool territory is approaching depending on the next 2 to 3 years. Main problem has been our 1st round picks being traded away and not getting years back on the return, ROR/Foligno/Marleau/Mrazek (we got mitten in the 2nd round)/Muzzin (good when healthy but didn't play enough for us) and sadly with what happened with Rodion. If you're able to resign some of the players like Schenn and ROR then it doesn't look as bad.

You're right on the d-core, when Treliving was introduced, he talked about wanting to be bigger on our back end, I just think this past summer he didn't really have the time nor knew what our d-core was made of, needed to see the season to see the real issues. I think this summer he will make his stamp on the d-core, he's going to have some money to work with, and only 3 players under contract in Reilly,McCabe,Lilly (RFA, but should be back)

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Even with Bertuzzi's lack of production his underlying numbers are very strong, being amongst the best on the team. I think this could present a golden opportunity to get him at a reasonable contract like 4x4.
Yeah I really don't understand why people are crying about Bertuzzi. Him and Tavares together has been our best duo pretty much and then adding Marner and Nylander the line stayed consistent. He's contributing a lot to his line without producing which in the long run just helps out out since we can get him cheaper than we thought we would.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Re Hanifin, I thought there were media reports/rumors he didn't want to extend in Canada?

There were but it was the same thing with McCabe, I think we're the exception.

Kessel, JVR, Gardiner and Matthews either extended or wanted to extend here.

McCabe waived to join.

I think because of how many flight options guys have in/out of Toronto through multiple airlines that it's no big deal.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Re Hanifin, I thought there were media reports/rumors he didn't want to extend in Canada?
Yes that was the word. I don't know that another high skill no hit lefty solves any problems anyhow. It would be nice if they were prepared to pony up for that level of player though.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
I would honestly call up Seattle and try and a big trade that fits all our needs.

Larsson 50 percent 2 million
Oleksiak 4.6 million
Brandon Tanev 3.75 million
For

Robertson
Lilly
Samsonov(cap)
Timmins
1st round pick

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Tanev Domi Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf McMann

Rielly Larsson
Oleksiak McCabe
Benoit Brodie

(Big D group)
Woll
Jones

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1.) he was inches from an extension in Calgary

2.) Toronto is generally exempt from this (not always). He is from Boston which is a 2 hr flight.

They tried really hard to get him but with the money they've got invested on their back end already, I don't see Hanifin as a viable option.

I have to think they want to get Lindholm, they're performing well but the 1C is a big hole.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
They tried really hard to get him but with the money they've got invested on their back end already, I don't see Hanifin as a viable option.

I have to think they want to get Lindholm, they're performing well but the 1C is a big hole.

My understanding is they were about to pull the trigger on a 8/60ish deal but Calgary is thinking about a rebuild.

So he is at least to some extent willing to sign in Canada

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
My understanding is they were about to pull the trigger on a 8/60ish deal but Calgary is thinking about a rebuild.

So he is at least to some extent willing to sign in Canada

I believe Hanifin would be willing, Toronto is the exception usually.

Boston can't swing it either.

Chicago maybe would try to get a legit piece back there?

Not sure who else would be a player.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I would honestly call up Seattle and try and a big trade that fits all our needs.

Larsson 50 percent 2 million
Oleksiak 4.6 million
Brandon Tanev 3.75 million
For

Robertson
Lilly
Samsonov(cap)
Timmins
1st round pick

Knies Matthews Marner
Bertuzzi Tavares Nylander
Tanev Domi Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf McMann

Rielly Larsson
Oleksiak McCabe
Benoit Brodie

(Big D group)
Woll
Jones
Could you imagine being Seattle and being offered that deal?

If Tampa don’t make the playoffs would Cooper consider the Leafs job?
100% he would.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Leafs need to …
1)waive Samsonov
2)Fire Keefe
3)Hire a coach that will hold Leafs immature players accountable
3)trade for a competent 1b goalie to take over until Woll comes back
4)trade for the top 4 dman we desperately need
5)trade for a defensive gritty 3rd line center that can pot a few goals

Too much to do in one year let alone during the season.

Maybe this isn’t our year and we sell off obvious pieces?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Leafs need to …
1)waive Samsonov
2)Fire Keefe
3)Hire a coach that will hold Leafs immature players accountable
3)trade for a competent 1b goalie to take over until Woll comes back
4)trade for the top 4 dman we desperately need
5)trade for a defensive gritty 3rd line center that can pot a few goals

Too much to do in one year let alone during the season.

Maybe this isn’t our year and we sell off obvious pieces?

Best of luck with that

You have about as much chance of us selling while we're in a playoff spot as Samsonov winning the Vezena

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Mario Ferraro + Luke Kunin
To San Jose: Nick Robertson + Topi Niemela + 1st Round Draft Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad