Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Tanev would be a significant addition to our LTIR.

If a young and injury prone Timmins is unwanted here because of his shorter injury list, just take a look at old man Tanev's lengthy injury history.

You just have to watch this video:

IMHO, Tanev would still be a Vancouver Canuck if not for his massive injury history.

He would still be a canuck if they didnt have a class a moron running their team at the time

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I know this is a pro league where results are everything, but isn't Brodie struggling in his personal life right now? Wouldn't TOR be a little too ruthless to punt him out of town? I'm not sure what the best solution is, but what kind of message is that? "A close family member passed away, and your wife is suffering from an illness? We'll trade you!"
You make a very good point, how sbout granting him a leave of absence?

Reactions: freshwind

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I know these "only the playoffs matter" posts everywhere, all the time, all season. Everyone gets it, it isn't an epiphany, sage revelation, it's the most obvious thing going. Let's just all agree, yes, of course dummy. And if you truly believe it, then show up in May, who would waste six months on nothingness?
"I've come to this board today to state what a waste of time talking about the regular season is!"

;)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Unpopular opinion is that if there is a very good upgrade to be had, I am open to trading Liljegren.

Sanheim for example has been playing RD for the Flyers this year and doing pretty well.
He and Robertson are kind of in the same boat. It might sting a bit, but it could be worth it.

Also, in terms of what other teams would covet, he's probably up there.

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Tanev would be a significant addition to our LTIR.

If a young and injury prone Timmins is unwanted here because of his shorter injury list, just take a look at old man Tanev's lengthy injury history.

You just have to watch this video:

IMHO, Tanev would still be a Vancouver Canuck if not for his massive injury history.

Tanev sacrifices his body all too much to stay healthy long term. He's immune to pain, however he can't play through many of his injuries.

While we're at it, why don't we double down on the Tanev injury phenomena and acquire his brother too.

As Tanev ages going forward, his body will break down a lot faster due to all the injuries he has sustained.

I would love to have a healthy Tanev on our Leafs blue line, however I'm not sure just how much he'd end up being missing in action residing on our Leafs LTIR.

JMHO.

The risk isn’t LTIR, the risk is he’s healthy enough to play but mangled enough that he makes mistakes, can’t project any strength on the boards/in front of the net, and is a second behind the play.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He and Robertson are kind of in the same boat. It might sting a bit, but it could be worth it.

Also, in terms of what other teams would covet, he's probably up there.
What boat is that and what sense does a trade for sanheim make?? I might be over reacting and I apologize but that’s not a good idea at all nor do I think Robertson and lily are in any kind of boat together if it’s not a boat for young players that are improving

Reactions: Ciao

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What boat is that and what sense does a trade for sanheim make?? I might be over reacting and I apologize but that’s not a good idea at all nor do I think Robertson and lily are in any kind of boat together if it’s not a boat for young players that are improving
They are in the same boat in the sense that they could possibly be part of a bigger core but have yet to properly establish themselves, thus making them possible trade candidates that other teams would like.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
They are in the same boat in the sense that they could possibly be part of a bigger core but have yet to properly establish themselves, thus making them possible trade candidates that other teams would like.
Do you think lily’s not established on our team? There’s no way he’s not they’re not trading him of all players even if it’s for an upgrade it will be someone we don’t control or someone from the forward group

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I know these "only the playoffs matter" posts everywhere, all the time, all season. Everyone gets it, it isn't an epiphany, sage revelation, it's the most obvious thing going. Let's just all agree, yes, of course dummy. And if you truly believe it, then show up in May, who would waste six months on nothingness?
If you're interested in the Leafs in the playoffs and wait until May to show up, most years you'd be too late.

When people say "only the playoffs matter", no need to be upset as I'm sure it's not meant to be taken literally, and no need to insult people by calling them "dummy". What they're really saying is that playoffs matter more than the regular season, and after so many years of regular season success followed by playoff failure, it's hard to get too excited about anything that happens during the regular season.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Do you think lily’s not established on our team? There’s no way he’s not they’re not trading him of all players even if it’s for an upgrade it will be someone we don’t control or someone from the forward group
He is, and he isn't. I'm waiting for him to take that next step where people consider him more akin to Knies in terms of importance. I'm hoping he does it because it'll save a lot of effort to find another D. He's getting paired with Rielly now, so we'll see.

But until he does, there is this awkward position of possibly moving him to get something else because other teams are going to want something good in return.

Reactions: andora

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
How much cap space do you guys think you'll be working with assuming Nylander is tied up for 10m and Liljgren for 5m?

I might be too high on Lilly?

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
How much cap space do you guys think you'll be working with assuming Nylander is tied up for 10m and Liljgren for 5m?

Assuming Nylander at 9.5x8, Liljegren at 3.5x5, Domi returns at 3x3, all of Robertson, Gregor, Benoit <1M and they let Bert, Brodie walk they would have ~13M to fill 2LW and 1RD (Tanev). I also wouldn't be shocked if Minten is 4C and they move on from Kampf freeing up another 1.5M.

Reactions: ottawa

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Do we shift our focus towards getting a goalie? Really don't want to pin our season on rookie Wall with his injuries.

horner

May 22, 2007
Do we shift our focus towards getting a goalie? Really don't want to pin our season on rookie Wall with his injuries.
Every goaltenders get injured.
Markstrom was out for awhile.
Vasi was injured for 15 games

There are no garentees

We need a dman we can't fix everything this yr .

Our team needs to tighten up defensively

To me we need three dman

Players that need to be replaced
Brodie Gio Timmins

Again these prospects are of limits
Knies Cowen Minten Grebyonkin

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Not at all we should be signing him 2 an 8 year deal too for sure

Assuming Nylander at 9.5x8, Liljegren at 3.5x5, Domi returns at 3x3, all of Robertson, Gregor, Benoit <1M and they let Bert, Brodie walk they would have ~13M to fill 2LW and 1RD (Tanev). I also wouldn't be shocked if Minten is 4C and they move on from Kampf freeing up another 1.5M.
You already make no sense with that assumption unfortunately we don’t know what he’s going to get but we know he won’t get that your better off working with a worst case scenerio so were not counting money that we won’t have

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Every goaltenders get injured.
Markstrom was out for awhile.
Vasi was injured for 15 games

There are no garentees

We need a dman we can't fix everything this yr .

Our team needs to tighten up defensively

To me we need three dman

Players that need to be replaced
Brodie Gio Timmins

Again these prospects are of limits
Knies Cowen Minten Grebyonkin
throw niemela in there too

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Minten replacing Kampf makes a ton of sense, especially cap wise.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
You already make no sense with that assumption unfortunately we don’t know what he’s going to get but we know he won’t get that your better off working with a worst case scenerio two were not counting money that we won’t have
I assume this is all trying to say you think Nylander will get more than 9.5M? Look at his comparables.

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
Do we run with Jones and Sammy until Woll comes back? I'd hate to throw away valuable assets, but we may need to bring in a better veteran than Jones.

Any targets? We should also dump Sammy for the cap space ASAP.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Cole Smith is now on a 5-game point streak since I mentioned him as an option. No longer a bargain bin option unfortunately. Still an interesting player they should look at in the off season.

Reactions: Rare Jewel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki