Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I understand your confusion. The rumour came from some Reddit user with no connections trying to connect dots between the leaked Knies for Hagel/Fleury deal and then later reports that Kyle was unhappy with Shanny being an extra level of authority Dubas had to go through to get things done. The rumour took off in the social media and blogospheres. No one with any authority or connections reported it. In fact Friedge in 32 thoughts directly said there was no veto and that both Shanny and Dubas thought Knies was basically untouchable.
Can we cut this down to fewer words and have it as a pop up ad style when entering this board

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I understand your confusion. The rumour came from some Reddit user with no connections trying to connect dots between the leaked Knies for Hagel/Fleury deal and then later reports that Kyle was unhappy with Shanny being an extra level of authority Dubas had to go through to get things done. The rumour took off in the social media and blogospheres. No one with any authority or connections reported it. In fact Friedge in 32 thoughts directly said there was no veto and that both Shanny and Dubas thought Knies was basically untouchable.
Didn't Dreger report it?

"As the NHL trade deadline comes and goes, there’s a bit of controversy brewing between Chicago Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson and Kyle Dubas, his counterpart in Toronto, over reports of a proposed trade that ended up not occurring between the teams.

The deal involved forward Brandon Hagel and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, both of whom were traded to other teams prior to the deadline on Monday.

TSN’s Darren Dreger reported on Saturday that the two teams had discussed a deal that would have sent the two players to Toronto in exchange for goaltender Petr Mrazek, forward prospect Matthew Knies and at least one first-round draft pick"

So who nixed the deal and why? Anyways, we've heard he balked at deals, this makes sense to me as entirely plausible.

Reactions: rumman

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Simple math they were paired on the bottom pair injury happened to gio laggy went up the line up with mccabe and Benoit stayed with timmins on said bottom pair you guys gotta use your eyes man the analytics can mislead you
Okay I sort of see:) There is pairings in the advanced stats actually. Some tougher usage but with a stronger defensive partner and more OZ opportunities gave him quite solid results with McCabe. It's his minutes with Timmins, Klinger, Reilly and Brodie that dragged his metrics down.

I prefer Benoit as well but there is a lot of runway left.

Reactions: arso40

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Didn't Dreger report it?

"As the NHL trade deadline comes and goes, there’s a bit of controversy brewing between Chicago Blackhawks GM Kyle Davidson and Kyle Dubas, his counterpart in Toronto, over reports of a proposed trade that ended up not occurring between the teams.

The deal involved forward Brandon Hagel and goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, both of whom were traded to other teams prior to the deadline on Monday.

TSN’s Darren Dreger reported on Saturday that the two teams had discussed a deal that would have sent the two players to Toronto in exchange for goaltender Petr Mrazek, forward prospect Matthew Knies and at least one first-round draft pick"

So who nixed the deal and why? Anyways, we've heard he balked at deals, this makes sense to me as entirely plausible.
Dubas and Shanny didn’t see eye to eye with a lot of things but Knies was the one thing they whole heartedly agreed was not for sale. Kyle Davidson tried to his luck and go for more and it was very quickly shut down.

This was with around the leaked stuff which further brought the ire of leafs and Davidson ending up apologized in the GmS meeting

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
Didn't Dreger report it?

Yup it was a deal that was brought up, most likely by Chicago’s side, but never agreed upon by the Leafs. Friedge on his podcast saying that it wasn’t a deal that got nixed because it never even got to that point. Fleury was never even asked to waive his NTC. Knies was an untouchable to both Dubas and Shanny. Remember Dubas was even angry that this proposal was leaked to the media through Dreger.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Hamilton In NJ is done until the playoffs. Could be a spot for Samsonov

They also may be after a righty to fill in, would Timmins for Bastian work?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can only imagine the bidding war that Vancouver could create for Kuzmenko. It sure seems like he is on the outs there.

I don't think you create bidding wars for players who are getting scratched as frequently as Kuzmenko.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Fabbro is a healthy scratch again tonight (3 in a row). His underlying numbers have been decent this year. He played alongside Josi last season and put up strong defensive numbers. He could possible be a long-term fit next to Rielly. Obviously going after a player who can't crack Nashville's lineup is iffy. If the acquisition cost is right it would be a good gamble. Lankinen+Fabbro for Samsonov+Timmins would be close to cap neutral. Lankinen, like Samsonov, was good last year and has been below replacement this year. If Jones/Woll end up being the tandem by the trade deadline the Leafs can most likely offload Lankinen's salary easier than Samsonov's. The other half of the deal is Fabbro for Timmins. They are the same age, Fabbro is the defensive defenseman, Timmins offensive. Fabbro doesn't have the injury history that Timmins has. The part of this deal that makes me hesitant is Timmins has the extra year at 1.1M whereas Fabbro is an RFA this off-season and most likely doesn't get qualified if his play doesn't improve.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Didn't Dreger report it?

Anyone using Dreger as any part of any argument has already lost

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Erik Karlsson would have been the veto? Seems big enough, franchise changing enough and controversial enough as a trade target and wouldn't you know, Pittsburgh went out and got EK65 with their new president and GM on the same page.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I wonder if Erik Karlsson would have been the veto? Seems big enough, franchise changing enough and controversial enough as a trade target and wouldn't you know, Pittsburgh went out and got EK65 with their new president and GM on the same page.

That’s what would make sense but looking at the Pitts deal it’s hard to draw up a parallel, we don’t have multiple bad contracts to dump. Only way I could see it is one of the big 4 wingers for Karlsson retained + 1sts either in a 3 way deal or SJ rents them and moves them at 50% at the deadline for a bigger haul than they’d get for Karlsson.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Philip Broberg appears to be gaining trade value while playing in the AHL.

Broberg was assigned to the AHL on Dec. 7, two days after Oilers general manager Ken Holland denied a report that defenceman's agent, Darrin Ferris, had been granted permission to search for a trade.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports a trade still seems to be most likely outcome for Broberg, but notes he could be moved as part of a bigger deal.

"It remains a curious situation for Philip Broberg. As we know, they're in win-now mode and he couldn't get into the lineup at the NHL level," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "Yet, you look at his [AHL] numbers – he's playing in Bakersfield and he's logging between 25 and 27 minutes per game. He wants to get back into the NHL. That's not likely in Edmonton, unless there's an injury, so trade seems the most likely."

"But here's an interesting twist: maybe it's not just Philip Broberg for an asset coming back to the Edmonton Oilers. Maybe Broberg becomes the sweetener so they can also move Jack Campbell's contract to free up a little bit of cap space. So, Broberg is a commodity, and it seems like that commodity is growing higher day by day."

Selected eighth overall by the Oilers in 2019 draft, Broberg has no points in 10 games with Edmonton this season and one goal and four points in eight AHL games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That’s what would make sense but looking at the Pitts deal it’s hard to draw up a parallel, we don’t have multiple bad contracts to dump. Only way I could see it is one of the big 4 wingers for Karlsson retained + 1sts either in a 3 way deal or SJ rents them and moves them at 50% at the deadline for a bigger haul than they’d get for Karlsson.

We had Muzzin and Murray on LTIR at various points last year. Maybe depending on how the cap and retention would have worked out we could have added him and made the offseason restructuring. Just a guess as it was the first thing Pitt went for and is big and splashy enough.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hamilton In NJ is done until the playoffs. Could be a spot for Samsonov

They also may be after a righty to fill in, would Timmins for Bastian work?

Timmins for Bastian would be nice

When they didn't qualify Bastian in the summer, he was very appealing to me.

Bastian would be very nice to add. I also would like Trenin off of Nashville but I don't think he's a big secret, I wouldn't be surprised if he got Goodrow type interest and teams overpay for him.

Reactions: andora

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Philip Broberg appears to be gaining trade value while playing in the AHL.

Broberg was assigned to the AHL on Dec. 7, two days after Oilers general manager Ken Holland denied a report that defenceman's agent, Darrin Ferris, had been granted permission to search for a trade.

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger reports a trade still seems to be most likely outcome for Broberg, but notes he could be moved as part of a bigger deal.

"It remains a curious situation for Philip Broberg. As we know, they're in win-now mode and he couldn't get into the lineup at the NHL level," Dreger said on Insider Trading. "Yet, you look at his [AHL] numbers – he's playing in Bakersfield and he's logging between 25 and 27 minutes per game. He wants to get back into the NHL. That's not likely in Edmonton, unless there's an injury, so trade seems the most likely."

"But here's an interesting twist: maybe it's not just Philip Broberg for an asset coming back to the Edmonton Oilers. Maybe Broberg becomes the sweetener so they can also move Jack Campbell's contract to free up a little bit of cap space. So, Broberg is a commodity, and it seems like that commodity is growing higher day by day."

Selected eighth overall by the Oilers in 2019 draft, Broberg has no points in 10 games with Edmonton this season and one goal and four points in eight AHL games.

Typical Dreger bs. Not seeing anything Broberg has done this year at either the NHL or AHL level that would indicate an increase in his trade value. If anything, the fact he cannot stick on a lousy defensive team like the Oilers could indicate quite the opposite.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fitting him into our cap situation seems like it would have made for quite the chore (he currently represents Pittsburgh's highest AAV and would only have been fourth on that list here). I'd guess that Dubas was fairly enamoured with the idea of acquiring Karlsson (or Dubas somehow happened to be in charge of two teams with that specific need).

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Fabbro is a healthy scratch again tonight (3 in a row). His underlying numbers have been decent this year. He played alongside Josi last season and put up strong defensive numbers. He could possible be a long-term fit next to Rielly. Obviously going after a player who can't crack Nashville's lineup is iffy. If the acquisition cost is right it would be a good gamble. Lankinen+Fabbro for Samsonov+Timmins would be close to cap neutral. Lankinen, like Samsonov, was good last year and has been below replacement this year. If Jones/Woll end up being the tandem by the trade deadline the Leafs can most likely offload Lankinen's salary easier than Samsonov's. The other half of the deal is Fabbro for Timmins. They are the same age, Fabbro is the defensive defenseman, Timmins offensive. Fabbro doesn't have the injury history that Timmins has. The part of this deal that makes me hesitant is Timmins has the extra year at 1.1M whereas Fabbro is an RFA this off-season and most likely doesn't get qualified if his play doesn't improve.
I noticed he got scratched the first night; I didn't know it went to three in a row. He could be a good fit, but I feel Nashville would want offensive help, no?

I feel like they would ask for Robertson or Steeves + something else.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fitting him into our cap situation seems like it would have made for quite the chore (he currently represents Pittsburgh's highest AAV and would only have been fourth on that list here). I'd guess that Dubas was fairly enamoured with the idea of acquiring Karlsson (or Dubas somehow happened to be in charge of two teams with that specific need).

Karlsson could have arguably had a better on ice impact for us than Pittsburgh but Dubas did seem to brute force that acquisition with free reign on his new team...

Of all the roster changes over the years, assets out the door for various additions... it's just hard imagine a lower value deal causing such a rift in upper management.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Karlsson could have arguably had a better on ice impact for us than Pittsburgh but Dubas did seem to brute force that acquisition with free reign on his new team...

Of all the roster changes over the years, assets out the door for various additions... it's just hard imagine a lower value deal causing such a rift in upper management.
I can't imagine it did.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I noticed he got scratched the first night; I didn't know it went to three in a row. He could be a good fit, but I feel Nashville would want offensive help, no?

I feel like they would ask for Robertson or Steeves + something else.
Carrier would be the better get.. stronger in the areas that this defence could be better at and decent enough still at getting the puck ahead

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I haven’t watched Fabbro and I may be off on it, but I get the Tyson Barrie 2.0 heebie jeebies form the thought of Fabbro vs what this team really needs in a partner Rielly.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki