Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I haven’t watched Fabbro and I may be off on it, but I get the Tyson Barrie 2.0 heebie jeebies form the thought of Fabbro vs what this team really needs in a partner Rielly.

Thoughts?
I don't think Fabbro is all that similar to Barrie (superior defensively and inferior on offence). That stated, I'm not exactly envisioning him as being the most successful of complements to Rielly/a top pairing d-man either.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Carrier would be the better get.. stronger in the areas that this defence could be better at and decent enough still at getting the puck ahead
He would be good as well. I mentioned him last week after they played the Preds.

But while they're still in a playoff hunt, they seem unlikely to move him. Whereas Fabbro is the one who is healthy scratched.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He would be good as well. I mentioned him last week after they played the Preds.

But while they're still in a playoff hunt, they seem unlikely to move him. Whereas Fabbro is the one who is healthy scratched.
Oh for sure he is likely the easier get so to speak - i just dont really want him :p

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Oh for sure he is likely the easier get so to speak - i just dont really want him :p
Okay, that's fair.

To his credit, though, he has played a lot with Josi, and that's something worth looking at when trying to find a guy who could play with Rielly potentially.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I haven’t watched Fabbro and I may be off on it, but I get the Tyson Barrie 2.0 heebie jeebies form the thought of Fabbro vs what this team really needs in a partner Rielly.

Thoughts?
I haven't watched much of him either. I am just scouting based off numbers. He appears to be the opposite of Barrie. All of his value appears to be in his even strength defense which is not Barrie's strength. I think he can play with Rielly because he was Josi's partner in 21-22 when Josi had the best season of his career.

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 2.17.05 PM.png

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019

I have a hard time seeing them deal Fabbro. Barrie & Carreire are UFA.
They would only have Schenn under contract next year on the right side.

What is there motivation to deal him?
I guess Timmins is at least under contract next year, so there is that from their perspective. Assuming Timmins is going the other way.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

I guess Timmins is at least under contract next year, so there is that from their perspective. Assuming Timmins is going the other way.
Big, strong, physical, that’s what I want from any incoming D men. oh, and they have to be competent defensively……….

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Well, if they elect to move Fabbro, I imagine re-signing Carrier is their next move.

They have a few RD coming up as well.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Does it really matter if this team gets 105 or 115 points?

You can cling to regular season accomplishments as a sign of success if you want. If the Leafs actually, you know, had any regular season success that is. That hasn't been the case here yet.

The very definition of mediocre.

No Atlantic Division titles. No conference titles. No Presidents trophy.

So what regular season success we are talking about is limited to the team getting a few more points than ever before.
If you don't want talk about the regular season during the regular season, maybe you should stop posting during the regular season.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Also fair.. i would still prefer a bit more bite
You're not alone; I think the addition to the bottom end of the D has helped in that regard, and could afford an addition like Fabbro.

Is BT interested in Will Borgen from the Kraken? I heard his name in Leaf rumors.
The issue with Borgen isn't too dissimilar to Peeke. Borgen's numbers are better, but it's still an issue of whether he can handle 20ish minutes against good opposition.

He'll cost quite a bit more than Peeke as well, mind you.

Reactions: LeafSteel

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Is BT interested in Will Borgen from the Kraken? I heard his name in Leaf rumors.
He’d be a perfect target……..

You're not alone; I think the addition to the bottom end of the D has helped in that regard, and could afford an addition like Fabbro.

The issue with Borgen isn't too dissimilar to Peeke. Borgen's numbers are better, but it's still an issue of whether he can handle 20ish minutes against good opposition.

He'll cost quite a bit more than Peeke as well, mind you.
I’ll take both Peeke and Borgan, send Brodie and Timmins packing………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I can't tell you that the D is improved upon at that point.
Way more stable, Timmins might have upside, but he’s injury prone and Brodie’s done, not losing anything that Benoit and Lagesson haven’t got covered……..

Reactions: arso40

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
He’d be a perfect target……..

I’ll take both Peeke and Borgan, send Brodie and Timmins packing………
I agree that Brodie is maybe slowing down a bit but he’s still someone that is needed on this team imho. I hope we can find a dependable, physical, top 4 to play with Reilly and drop Brodie down the line up but keep him still. McCabe has been really good since he returned from injury and Liljegren I was really coming before his injury. I think that they’d make a good second pairing for us. Brodie, Gio would make a reliable bottom pairing and definitely imho and there’s injury depth in the system

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree that Brodie is maybe slowing down a bit but he’s still someone that is needed on this team imho. I hope we can find a dependable, physical, top 4 to play with Reilly and drop Brodie down the line up but keep him still. McCabe has been really good since he returned from injury and Liljegren I was really coming before his injury. I think that they’d make a good second pairing for us. Brodie, Gio would make a reliable bottom pairing and definitely imho and there’s injury depth in the system
I see where your coming from, but if you can trade Brodie why not? He makes more money than Benoit/Lagesson who appear more that capable to handle bottom pairing duties. Keeping Gio for depth makes some sense too, but Brodie if tradable needs to go imo……..

Reactions: LeafSteel

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Brodie won't move this year, our RD is pretty mediocre after him, oh and he makes 7.5M real cash.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I see where your coming from, but if you can trade Brodie why not? He makes more money than Benoit/Lagesson who appear more that capable to handle bottom pairing duties. Keeping Gio for depth makes some sense too, but Brodie if tradable needs to go imo……..
I know this is a pro league where results are everything, but isn't Brodie struggling in his personal life right now? Wouldn't TOR be a little too ruthless to punt him out of town? I'm not sure what the best solution is, but what kind of message is that? "A close family member passed away, and your wife is suffering from an illness? We'll trade you!"

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Brodie won't move this year, our RD is pretty mediocre after him, oh and he makes 7.5M real cash.
We also need to make that side stronger, not weaker. If there’s an upgrade to the right side, it’s probably someone who can replace Timmins for this season.

I know this is a pro league where results are everything, but isn't Brodie struggling in his personal life right now? Wouldn't TOR be a little too ruthless to punt him out of town? I'm not sure what the best solution is, but what kind of message is that? "A close family member passed away, and your wife is suffering from an illness? We'll trade you!"
I get business is business but I agree, there’s no way the Leafs trade Brodie right now given what’s going on in his life. Maybe they walk from him in the off-season but I doubt they trade him unless it’s to a destination of his choosing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We also need to make that side stronger, not weaker. If there’s an upgrade to the right side, it’s probably someone who can replace Timmins for this season.

Unpopular opinion is that if there is a very good upgrade to be had, I am open to trading Liljegren.

Sanheim for example has been playing RD for the Flyers this year and doing pretty well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think Tanev would be a very significant addition to this blueline. I would be surprised if that trade doesn't happen.
Tanev would be a significant addition to our LTIR.

If a young and injury prone Timmins is unwanted here because of his shorter injury list, just take a look at old man Tanev's lengthy injury history.

You just have to watch this video:

IMHO, Tanev would still be a Vancouver Canuck if not for his massive injury history.

Tanev sacrifices his body all too much to stay healthy long term. He's immune to pain, however he can't play through many of his injuries.

While we're at it, why don't we double down on the Tanev injury phenomena and acquire his brother too.

As Tanev ages going forward, his body will break down a lot faster due to all the injuries he has sustained.

I would love to have a healthy Tanev on our Leafs blue line, however I'm not sure just how much he'd end up being missing in action residing on our Leafs LTIR.

JMHO.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If you don't want talk about the regular season during the regular season, maybe you should stop posting during the regular season.
I know these "only the playoffs matter" posts everywhere, all the time, all season. Everyone gets it, it isn't an epiphany, sage revelation, it's the most obvious thing going. Let's just all agree, yes, of course dummy. And if you truly believe it, then show up in May, who would waste six months on nothingness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki