Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We traded him cause we were to the cap thanks to cap’ I actually liked him though if he’s a ufa it makes sense play him on the third line drop jarnkrok to the fourth line
He suckered Pitts.

Kapanen sucks and has no role. He thinks he's a top 6, and won't do bottom 6 stuff.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
He suckered Pitts.

Kapanen sucks and has no role. He thinks he's a top 6, and won't do bottom 6 stuff.
Kapanen I remember was running around hitting guys and would drop the gloves not sure what your referring to? maybe his play style??

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I could see it. He had offensive flair
Tre was looking for 2 D we know that

I think we settle on 1

Rielly Brodie
Xxx. McCabe
Gio. Lilly

With Benoit/timmins/lagesson
Murphy retained and Joey Anderson maybe?sounds like he’s playing sound defence he’s familiar with the system

horner

May 22, 2007
I've been through our roster and assets looking towards the TDL

I think the team definitely needs one top 4D, ideally I'd also like to bring in a fast 2-way bottom 6F if McMann and Steeves can't take the job

My idea would be to have a top 6 and a 3A 3B lines built for different jobs
3A is if we need a goal and 3B would be used to defend leads and Dzone draws

Looking through our assets I'd be willing to move our 1st and a prospect not named Minten, Cowan or the Russian kid for the top 4D and a mid to late pick for the Forward (if needed)

I don't think it matters which hand the D shoots with, just get the best young defenseman with as much term left on his deal as possible
I'm not sure who's available but if were giving up a 1st and Neimela the player were getting better be good

The Forward i'm thinking of would be like a Kapanen type, without the issues obviously

No trading roster players unless it's somebody like Samsonov or Reeves to gain cap space

I know some people have got quite keen on trading Robertson but he's playing 10 minutes a night on the 3rd line and scoring at better than a half a point a game in his early 20's, that is not a player to give up on

Knies Matthew's Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf ?

Rielly Brodie
McCabe/? ?/Liljegren
Liljegren/McCabe/Gio/Benoit/Lagesson/Timmins

Woll
Samsonov/Smith
Last yr from reports we could have traded knies a couple of times .
Iam so glad they never pulled the trigger
He is the power forward we have desperately needed in the top 6.

Minten a center we have been looking for for yrs . Hockey Canada guaranteed him a spot on the wjteam. He is already 50% on the dot 200' player his offensive game is just coming around and he is physical . When he finally fills out he will be 6'3" 220 lbs.

Cowen not many 18 yr Olds make the wj team and he was pretty much guaranteed a spot . We have a top 6 Forward in the mold of Koneckny or Marchant type of player, which again we have been looking for for yrs.

Grebyonkin I don't know much about but he is 6' 2" 190 lbs . He is a skilled physical Forward

Minten and Cowen are already penciled into the lineup next yr.
Grebyonkin the next yr.

All of these players are on ELC contracts

I would do a small trade this s yr for a physical defensive dman.

Next summer sign 2 UFA dman

Skeji or Pesce Carolina wont sign both
Tanev
Demelo
Ekman-Larson
Hakanpaa
Forsling
Walker
Seeler

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Kapanen I remember was running around hitting guys and would drop the gloves not sure what your referring to? maybe his play style??

Sometimes, and sometimes he would be completely invisible for stretches. He’s also had some distraction issues within the team, which is another reason why I think they opted to deal him (in addition to clearing cap).

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Last yr from reports we could have traded knies a couple of times .
Iam so glad they never pulled the trigger
He is the power forward we have desperately needed in the top 6.

Minten a center we have been looking for for yrs . Hockey Canada guaranteed him a spot on the wjteam. He is already 50% on the dot 200' player his offensive game is just coming around and he is physical . When he finally fills out he will be 6'3" 220 lbs.

Cowen not many 18 yr Olds make the wj team and he was pretty much guaranteed a spot . We have a top 6 Forward in the mold of Koneckny or Marchant type of player, which again we have been looking for for yrs.

Grebyonkin I don't know much about but he is 6' 2" 190 lbs . He is a skilled physical Forward

Minten and Cowen are already penciled into the lineup next yr.
Grebyonkin the next yr.

All of these players are on ELC contracts

I would do a small trade this s yr for a physical defensive dman.

Next summer sign 2 UFA dman

Skeji or Pesce Carolina wont sign both
Tanev
Demelo
Ekman-Larson
Hakanpaa
Forsling
Walker
Seeler
Good post.

I would be loathe to move any of our prospects, partly because we need their ELC’s and partly because they represent some already demonstrated capability.

I like our forwards and feel our biggest need is top 4 RHD. I’d be up to trading picks to shore it up, as long as Brodie is moved as either part of the package or in a separate deal for picks.

Spending on what can be traded for, I would be open to UFA’s, particularly DeMelo.

Reactions: arso40 and horner

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Timmins but I'm also keeping an eye on Niemela on the Marlies too .. Topi could step into Connor's role and be the superior player in the near future. Seems more like an off-season type of move though.

Timmins provides valuable depth with some modest intrigue on his upside. I'm not in a rush to move him unless the Leafs intend on bringing in a legit upgrade with multiple years of control.

I agree. I just don't think it's fair to Timmins to have him be in the pressbox if they acquire a defenseman and everyones healthy. They did that to him for a long time last year. He's also been injured a lot as well so that's on him but I think they probably should utilize his value if he has some to gain an asset. Basically like they did with Dermott and Sandin previously. He's a solid bottom pairing defenseman for sure.

For me, Kapanen’s brain couldn’t keep up with his feet.

Talented and could skate like the wind, but he didn’t have the IQ to match his talent level.

We need better.

I think he's got Grabner, Gregor, etc level of ability. The difference is that you can't pay those players 3M+.

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
We need another top-9 forechecking winger and a top-4 RD for sure, then maybe a fringe add for the 4th line and PK.

I think the Leafs depth on D is solid, one more guy like Tanev to push everyone down one spot and they'll have better D 1-9 then last season. No need to add a schenn or gustavsson, we already have benoit and timmins.

Goaltending you can't fix now, there are teams way more desperate than the Leafs who have awful awful goaltending. Gotta keep giving Sammy chances until Woll comes back. Jones as a number 3 probably the best situation in the league.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hindsight is 20/20 and he may not have wanted to play here but Duchene is having a hell of a year after being bought out by Nashville.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Can you expand on this a bit? I haven't seen enough of either of them, but I favor Lags in the shifts I paid attention to, and what I happened to notice.

It's interesting because we could see important decisions made between the two in the future.

Willie Lages has the teams worst GvA/60 and Benoit has the best and on fewer OZ starts so there is a bit of separation right now. Now in larger samples as an Oiler Willies defensive numbers were pretty good, and on a looser defensive team so I think he has more to give as the season goes on. He has the rest of the season to bring it along a little further but if there was a decision today it would be an easy one.

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40 and LeafEgo

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Hindsight is 20/20 and he may not have wanted to play here but Duchene is having a hell of a year after being bought out by Nashville.

I am curious what kind of deal he gets next summer.
He is not going to sign for such a discount again. The 2C free agent market isn't exactly great either.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I am curious what kind of deal he gets next summer.
He is not going to sign for such a discount again. The 2C free agent market isn't exactly great either.

He'll be 33 next summer with a career known for its inconsistency. I don't think he's getting a huge deal - if he keeps it up, probably like 3 years X 4.5-5M would be a good result from his perspective. I can't picture anyone giving him 3-5 years X 6M+.

Also, given that he has the same caphit as Domi, I'm assuming we kicked tires on him and he wasn't interested in coming here. He went to a tax free state with very little media/fan pressure and a team that's just as much a contender as we are. Some guys want to come play for Toronto, but I'm assuming he's not one of those guys.

Reactions: TheShape

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This keeps getting repeated and I've yet to see any account that actually backs this up, much less all of them. Sure is a good narrative tho.
I heard it repeatedly on the radio from guys who follow the team. Dubas was all in, I don't doubt it for a minute actually. You're free to disagree.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Willie Lages has the teams worst GvA/60 and Benoit has the best and on fewer OZ starts so there is a bit of separation right now. Now in larger samples as an Oiler Willies defensive numbers were pretty good, and on a looser defensive team so I think he has more to give as the season goes on. He has the rest of the season to bring it along a little further but if there was a decision today it would be an easy one.
In fairness he’s Been playing against the tougher comp when one of them has to

Reactions: Buds17

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
In fairness he’s Been playing against the tougher comp when one of them has to
I hadn't seen that. Do you have some numbers or is this the eye test? I don't follow QOC particularly so I don't have a reference.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I hadn't seen that. Do you have some numbers or is this the eye test? I don't follow QOC particularly so I don't have a reference.
Simple math they were paired on the bottom pair injury happened to gio laggy went up the line up with mccabe and Benoit stayed with timmins on said bottom pair you guys gotta use your eyes man the analytics can mislead you

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
He'll be 33 next summer with a career known for its inconsistency. I don't think he's getting a huge deal - if he keeps it up, probably like 3 years X 4.5-5M would be a good result from his perspective. I can't picture anyone giving him 3-5 years X 6M+.
If he only signs for 3 years, that will be a good deal for someone.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Simple math they were paired on the bottom pair injury happened to gio laggy went up the line up with mccabe and Benoit stayed with timmins on said bottom pair you guys gotta use your eyes man the analytics can mislead you
Even though I often do defer to TOI and pairings, Lagesson actually does not have what I'd consider to be a clear advantage over Benoit in TOI/G (15:13 in 18 GP to 14:49 in 15 GP).

Reactions: arso40

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This is how our defence has been deployed 5 v 5

Screenshot (1225).png

Heres the total number...

Screenshot (1227).png

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Even though I often do defer to TOI and pairings, Lagesson actually does not have what I'd consider to be a clear advantage over Benoit in TOI/G (15:13 in 18 GP to 14:49 in 15 GP).
Nothing beats watching the game I guess ……you would see, though your right on the toi it's been clear laggys higher on depth chart we’ve been over playing top pair and you have to keep in mind laggys been penalized a lot last couple games would make the numbers closer than they would be but I actually like benoit better personally

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
I heard it repeatedly on the radio from guys who follow the team. Dubas was all in, I don't doubt it for a minute actually. You're free to disagree.
I understand your confusion. The rumour came from some Reddit user with no connections trying to connect dots between the leaked Knies for Hagel/Fleury deal and then later reports that Kyle was unhappy with Shanny being an extra level of authority Dubas had to go through to get things done. The rumour took off in the social media and blogospheres. No one with any authority or connections reported it. In fact Friedge in 32 thoughts directly said there was no veto and that both Shanny and Dubas thought Knies was basically untouchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki