Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Lagesson - 18 games, 3 ES assists, 8 shots, +0, 12 PIM, 30 hits, 28 blocks, 16 giveaways, 3 takeaways, 1:40 on PK in 15:13 per game.

Benoit - 15 games, 0 points, 10 shots, +5, 8 PIM, 42 hits, 24 blocks, 5 giveaways, 6 takeaways, 1:27 on PK in 14:50 per game.

What are everyone's thoughts on this depth chart battle? It looks pretty close. I favour Benoit, he has more experience, he's more physical and he has good takeaway/giveaway metrics. His added physicality being the tipping factor.
The thing I love about both players is they just play within their game. They no their limits and don't try to do more then what's expected of them. The one thing that stands out about both players is whenever there is a scrum or a player in front of our goalie after a whistle, both players don't hesitate or take any shit from opposing players which sucks our other players in as well.

I find it funny that when Reaves is in the lineup, this team doesn't really have a backbone and don't really muck it up. But when he's out of the lineup, they're always in scrums, and a lot of the times, initiating it as well.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Outside of a first, what is an acceptable price for Tanev? Two 3rd rounders and Niemela for Tanev (50% retention)

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Outside of a first, what is an acceptable price for Tanev? Two 3rd rounders and Niemela for Tanev (50% retention)
I don't know, even that seems too much. I just don't really want him and feel they should've got him 5 years ago or when they signed Brodie instead.

It's crazy, but the guy I'm still intrigued by in Calgary is Kylington. Supposedly, he's there practicing, I've got no idea what his mental state is, but if ready, I'd be interested. He's not the defensive guy some people are after, but I think he'd still be a very good addition.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Don't trade any assets for him. A tenth round pick would be too much, and they don't exist anymore.

If you must, sign him for free this coming summer. With his injury history, he will likely join Klingberg on Robidas Island, also know as our Leafs LTIR !!!

We don't need to expand our Leafs list of injury prone D-men.

JMHO.

Reactions: Rude Dog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If you're going into a playoff run with Timmins on your bottom pair, you're in trouble. Here's the thing, yes he's been better, but his bad is eye popping ugly. It was the same last year before he was out, it isn't changing, or more correctly it's way too risky to expect much. Playoff hockey, I see his game translating to horrific. A Benoit, still serviceable.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
If you're going into a playoff run with Timmins on your bottom pair, you're in trouble. Here's the thing, yes he's been better, but his bad is eye popping ugly. It was the same last year before he was out, it isn't changing, or more correctly it's way too risky to expect much. Playoff hockey, I see his game translating to horrific. A Benoit, still serviceable.
It really does boil down to basics. Defending, compete, getting the puck out of the zone. You take the boring guy that can make outlet passes over the guy that can rush it once in awhile on a coin flip everytime - this all said is when you are discussing 75% oc the league or depth players

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It really does boil down to basics. Defending, compete, getting the puck out of the zone. You take the boring guy that can make outlet passes over the guy that can rush it once in awhile on a coin flip everytime - this all said is when you are discussing 75% oc the league or depth players

The only problem is we need a pp2 guy.

I was totally against Timmins and klingberg together. But if we have Timmins at least someone can play the puck.

I like Lilly for it but it doesn’t seem to be in the cards

Reactions: VanW27

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The only problem is we need a pp2 guy.

I was totally against Timmins and klingberg together. But if we have Timmins at least someone can play the puck.

I like Lilly for it but it doesn’t seem to be in the cards
I would debate that with trying an alternative quarterback... run it through a forward and liljegren for a righty one timer

Reactions: rumman

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I would debate that with trying an alternative quarterback... run it through a forward and liljegren for a righty one timer

I could see it. He had offensive flair
Tre was looking for 2 D we know that

I think we settle on 1

Rielly Brodie
Xxx. McCabe
Gio. Lilly

With Benoit/timmins/lagesson

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think Timmins with lots of usage on PP #2 can produce at a 35-40+ point pace on the bottom pair. That's a useful player. The Leafs don't really need an offensive minded defenseman, they just need for Timmins to remain healthy.

I don't think he plays every game in the playoffs, but he will be in the mix if he keeps producing.

Reactions: Rocker13 and kb

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I could see it. He had offensive flair
Tre was looking for 2 D we know that

I think we settle on 1

Rielly Brodie
Xxx. McCabe
Gio. Lilly

With Benoit/timmins/lagesson
Yeah personally i see one dman being added as well of impact.. and i would hope it is someone of age and a long term plan .. i dont like rentals.. make hockey trades

Reactions: arso40

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I like Timmins but I'm also keeping an eye on Niemela on the Marlies too .. Topi could step into Connor's role and be the superior player in the near future. Seems more like an off-season type of move though.

Timmins provides valuable depth with some modest intrigue on his upside. I'm not in a rush to move him unless the Leafs intend on bringing in a legit upgrade with multiple years of control.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Leafs defense long-term (next 3 years) I am happy to keep are

Rielly
McCabe (as a #4/5D who makes less than 3M)

I would look to upgrade/move the below

Brodie --> If he doesnt take a big cut (2-2.5M on a 2 year deal if he wants to come back)

Gio --> He should be Muzzins assistant next year and not playing games for us. Need to replace next summer

Klingberg --> The player type more than the player. We need a #2/3D who is offensively gifted and moves the puck well.

Lilijgren --> If he cant break into the top 4 by this years playoffs and get 21+ mins a night with 30+ pt production I consider making a deal to upgrade on him

Potential D-prospect who can step onto the team in this period

Niemela --> Replace lilijgren as a good bottom pair defense

Ideally we need a #2RHD and #3LHD to be added

Scion

May 25, 2012
I like Timmins but I'm also keeping an eye on Niemela on the Marlies too .. Topi could step into Connor's role and be the superior player in the near future. Seems more like an off-season type of move though.

Timmins provides valuable depth with some modest intrigue on his upside. I'm not in a rush to move him unless the Leafs intend on bringing in a legit upgrade with multiple years of control.

I've been unimpressed with Niemela when I've watched the Marlies in person this year. He is small and gets bullied easily in the corners. He will have to excel offensively to be useful in the NHL. It's certainly not impossible, but I wouldn't be penciling him ahead of Timmins in the near term.

Reactions: Kurtz

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Benoit easily.
Can you expand on this a bit? I haven't seen enough of either of them, but I favor Lags in the shifts I paid attention to, and what I happened to notice.

It's interesting because we could see important decisions made between the two in the future.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Who’s Connor?

Leafs defense long-term (next 3 years) I am happy to keep are

Rielly
McCabe (as a #4/5D who makes less than 3M)

I would look to upgrade/move the below

Brodie --> If he doesnt take a big cut (2-2.5M on a 2 year deal if he wants to come back)

Gio --> He should be Muzzins assistant next year and not playing games for us. Need to replace next summer

Klingberg --> The player type more than the player. We need a #2/3D who is offensively gifted and moves the puck well.

Lilijgren --> If he cant break into the top 4 by this years playoffs and get 21+ mins a night with 30+ pt production I consider making a deal to upgrade on him

Potential D-prospect who can step onto the team in this period

Niemela --> Replace lilijgren as a good bottom pair defense

Ideally we need a #2RHD and #3LHD to be added
Why would you even consider trading lily he improves his game every year just get the top pairing guy needed and let him gradually improve

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've been through our roster and assets looking towards the TDL

I think the team definitely needs one top 4D, ideally I'd also like to bring in a fast 2-way bottom 6F if McMann and Steeves can't take the job

My idea would be to have a top 6 and a 3A 3B lines built for different jobs
3A is if we need a goal and 3B would be used to defend leads and Dzone draws

Looking through our assets I'd be willing to move our 1st and a prospect not named Minten, Cowan or the Russian kid for the top 4D and a mid to late pick for the Forward (if needed)

I don't think it matters which hand the D shoots with, just get the best young defenseman with as much term left on his deal as possible
I'm not sure who's available but if were giving up a 1st and Neimela the player were getting better be good

The Forward i'm thinking of would be like a Kapanen type, without the issues obviously

No trading roster players unless it's somebody like Samsonov or Reeves to gain cap space

I know some people have got quite keen on trading Robertson but he's playing 10 minutes a night on the 3rd line and scoring at better than a half a point a game in his early 20's, that is not a player to give up on

Knies Matthew's Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf ?

Rielly Brodie
McCabe/? ?/Liljegren
Liljegren/McCabe/Gio/Benoit/Lagesson/Timmins

Woll
Samsonov/Smith

Last edited:
Reactions: SprDaVE

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I've been through our roster and assets looking towards the TDL

I think the team definitely needs one top 4D, ideally I'd also like to bring in a fast 2-way bottom 6F if McMann and Steeves can't take the job

My idea would be to have a top 6 and a 3A 3B lines built for different jobs
3A is if we need a goal and 3B would be used to defend leads and Dzone draws

Looking through our assets I'd be willing to move our 1st and a prospect not named Minten, Cowan or the Russian kid for the top 4D and a mid to late pick for the Forward (if needed)

I don't think it matters which hand the D shoots with, just get the best young defenseman with as much term left on his deal as possible
I'm not sure who's available but if were giving up a 1st and Neimela the player were getting better be good

The Forward i'm thinking of would be like a Kapanen type, without the issues obviously

No trading roster players unless it's somebody like Samsonov or Reeves to gain cap space

I know some people have got quite keen on trading Robertson but he's playing 10 minutes a night on the 3rd line and scoring at better than a half a point a game in his early 20's, that is not a player to give up on

Knies Matthew's Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Gregor Kampf ?

Rielly Brodie
McCabe/? ?/Liljegren
Liljegren/McCabe/Gio/Benoit/Lagesson/Timmins

Woll
Samsonov/Smith
Yes we need a top 2 so Brodie can either be traded or dropped to the third pair kapanen would be a good target not sure his contract status what’s his obvious issue?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yes we need a top 2 so Brodie can either be traded or dropped to the third pair kapanen would be a good target not sure his contract status what’s his obvious issue?

Brodie and Rielly works, we're better off getting somebody good to carry McCabe or Liljegren on the 2nd pair

Kapanen makes over 3M so to much unless the Blues eat 50%, he had a major issue in Finland in the off-season and the Leafs and Pens moved him because he's overpriced and isn't the easiest to coach apparently

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Brodie and Rielly works, we're better off getting somebody good to carry McCabe or Liljegren on the 2nd pair

Kapanen makes over 3M so to much unless the Blues eat 50%, he had a major issue in Finland in the off-season and the Leafs and Pens moved him because he's overpriced and isn't the easiest to coach apparently
We traded him cause we were to the cap thanks to cap’ I actually liked him though if he’s a ufa it makes sense play him on the third line drop jarnkrok to the fourth line

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We traded him cause we we’re to the cap thanks to cap’ I actually liked him though if he’s a ufa it makes sense play him on the third line drop jarnkrok to the fourth line

He used to be my avatar, I thought he could be a 50-60 point player but he just never kicked on

I'd play him on the 4th and Jarnkrok on the 3rd, I don't think Kapanen has the offense to be on that 3rd line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $681.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki