Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Connor Murphy
To Chicago: Nick Robertson + Pontus Holmberg + 3rd Rounder

To Toronto: Carl Grundstrom
To Los Angeles: Ilya Samsonov

We’d gain about 550k towards the cap with these two moves.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

That’s too much for Murphy we gotta stop paying those premiums for these players I know I’m part of the minority cause I didn’t like the muzzin deal felt we gave up too much and we weren’t close to winning at the time either

Reactions: horner

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
That’s too much for Murphy we gotta stop paying those premiums for these players I know I’m part of the minority cause I didn’t like the muzzin deal felt we gave up too much and we weren’t close to winning at the time either
I don’t think it’s much of an overpayment. Not to mention it would solve a huge issue on our blueline who’s under contract beyond this year.

Rielly - Murphy
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - Timmins

Has a good mix of size, physicality, offence and defence.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He doesn't know how to play defence at all. Hes esentially a bigger Barrie.
You'd think for a guy who 'doesn't know how to play defense at all' the team would bleed goals whenever he's on the ice.
Something doesn't add up here, weird.

1702915315935.png

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So, would Ohio born Murphy waive to move to Toronto?

I think maybe I'd consider Kampf, Timmins and Steeves
for
Connor Murphy and a 2nd.

Reactions: arso40

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Pretty sure the Christmas trade freeze is happening soon but wouldn't be surprised if we see a trade in January IMO.

With the given space we have accrued. I know when the Blues talked, another team was involved in to play. It'll be interesting to see if we revisit or go elsewhere.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Pretty sure the Christmas trade freeze is happening soon but wouldn't be surprised if we see a trade in January IMO.

With the given space we have accrued. I know when the Blues talked, another team was involved in to play. It'll be interesting to see if we revisit or go elsewhere.

We haven’t actually accrued any space because we are in LTIR, quite heavily I might add. That said, space has freed up with Klingberg done for the year

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
The time to upgrade D is now. Not at deadline when cost of doing business is higher. There is no reason why Zadorov isnt a Leaf. For what Calgary got for him, the Leafs definitely could have matched that deal. When you wait until deadline, a player like Zadorov will go for double the cost.

Reactions: Al14

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The time to upgrade D is now. Not at deadline when cost of doing business is higher. There is no reason why Zadorov isnt a Leaf. For what Calgary got for him, the Leafs definitely could have matched that deal. When you wait until deadline, a player like Zadorov will go for double the cost.

Our need isn't really a third pairing D though... we should be aiming higher.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

The cost for us would have been notably higher given our requirement for retention and that Calgary didn’t want to keep any of the deal. They cared more about dealing him with no retention than getting more value or even not trading him within their division.

We were never really in it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Which seems to be effective.

I’m just of the opinion he doesn’t add enough to be worth needing to shelter so much. I’d rather have players that can be trusted in more situations. That said, I know it’s a double edged sword, as I have certainly been one of the people talking for well over a year at this point that our lack of offense from the backend is a big problem.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I’m just of the opinion he doesn’t add enough to be worth needing to shelter so much. I’d rather have players that can be trusted in more situations. That said, I know it’s a double edged sword, as I have certainly been one of the people talking for well over a year at this point that our lack of offense from the backend is a big problem.
Sure, in an ideal world you can have all players capable of playing in all situations. I think his positives, especially on this team, outweigh his negatives.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

for
Connor Murphy and a 2nd.
Don't see why he wouldn’t waive. Plays on a contender, probably paired with Rielly and he’s got McCabe who he is familiar already with. There’s definitely pros and cons, but I think the pros outweigh the cons here.

Reactions: arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Don't see why he wouldn’t waive. Plays on a contender, probably paired with Rielly and he’s got McCabe who he is familiar already with. There’s definitely pros and cons, but I think the pros outweigh the cons here.

Perhaps, but it would be interesting to know his personal connection with Dublin and if family is still a consideration for him.

Obviously, he doesn't drive home to meet family after games or off days, but maybe he sees a brighter future in Chicago, doesn't have to uproot himself/family, and doesn't have cross-boarder flight to get ?home? in Dublin?

Personally, I haven't been "home" in over 25 years so that wouldn't bother me at all, but I know some people who fly across the continent home multiple times a year to visit family. They'd likely go more frequently if it was just a 1 hour flight a province away.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

for
Connor Murphy and a 2nd.

Murrphy did go the OHL route and play for Sarnia in juniors, so you'd figure he'd at least be open minded about little old Toronto.

He can talk to his old teammate Jake McCabe from Eau Claire Wisconsin and see how he likes it.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Essentially we need a solid pairing for Rielly like Hainsey or Schenn and another RHD. It’s gonna be tough but hopefully something can come to fruition.

At 1.1mm for the next 2 years and then RFA status, yeah.

Someone has to be on the third pairing, and you do expect a coach to, you know, coach.

Timmins can be a keeper, or used to improve top 4, pushing a better player down.
I think timmins is great to keep for that price point but I also think he’s a good bartering chip as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Murrphy did go the OHL route and play for Sarnia in juniors, so you'd figure he'd at least be open minded about little old Toronto.

He can talk to his old teammate Jake McCabe from Eau Claire Wisconsin and see how he likes it.

Yep, or he might really be happy in Chicago and not have good memories of playing in the OHL. Of course he wouldn't be doing 10 hour bus rides ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki