Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Connor Timmins is reminding me of Justin Holl, in the sense that he's offensively gifted when it comes to moving the puck but defensively there's a lot to make up for and also he's not as physical as he should given the size that he has

If Connor Timmons had a mean streak, he'd be a much more valuable asset and maybe Trelviing doesn't even look for a "RD shot with a mean streak"

This is Justin Holl all over again

• Wow
Reactions: LeafSteel

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not putting too much hope in playoff success with the likes of Brodie and Timmins on the backend, but I guess that’s just me………
Playoffs don’t start for months.

Connor Timmins is reminding me of Justin Holl, in the sense that he's offensively gifted when it comes to moving the puck but defensively there's a lot to make up for and also he's not as physical as he should given the size that he has

If Connor Timmons had a mean streak, he'd be a much more valuable asset and maybe Trelviing doesn't even look for a "RD shot with a mean streak"

He stands up when he needs to. You’re right, he’s not mean though.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It’s funny for all his struggles the puck rarely enters the net when he’s on the ice.
Is ‘giveaways’ a stat that’s tracked? I wonder how many he’s actually had this season.

I hope this link opens. He has had 5 giveaways.

Reactions: ACC1224

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Justin Holl couldn't make a break out pass if his life depended on it. Timmins made a break out pass yesterday that led to a goal that Justin Holl could only dream of. Please don't compare Holl to Timmins offensively.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

I think you have Post Holl Traumatic Syndrome and are seeing Holl’s where there are no Holl’s. That’s right, you are Hollucinating….:)

Timmins plays nothing like Holl. They have completely different games.

Holl has played 194 AHL games and 307 NHL games. Timmins has played 52 AHL games and 77 NHL games.

Are you really comparing them? Seems like Holl has hit his ceiling while Timmins is barely starting.

Just the fact you are comparing them says Timmins has much more unrealized upside than Holl ever showed.

To move Timmins without giving him at least half a season would be poor asset management at a position where our depth is incredibly weak.

How weak is it? We had Justin Holl playing in our top 4. That’s weak..z

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

But to be fair Holl had over 300 games of pro hockey under his belt when he landed on the Leafs full time and Timmins has 141 as off today. It won't matter if he can't stay healthy but he isn't close to fully cooked yet. In terms of game experience he is a 22 year old who lost his last season of Junior to injuries. His life for the last 5+ years has been more rehab than working on his skills so if he can stay healthy the potential for real improvement should be there.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
But to be fair Holl had over 300 games of pro hockey under his belt when he landed on the Leafs full time and Timmins has 141 as off today. It won't matter if he can't stay healthy but he isn't close to fully cooked yet. In terms of game experience he is a 22 year old who lost his last season of Junior to injuries. His life for the last 5+ years has been more rehab than working on his skills so if he can stay healthy the potential for real improvement should be there.

Just out of curiosity. Why would him being unable to work on his skills for 5 years improve things?

Progression isn’t linear but it tends to follow a curve. He may have been on good pace at 20. But that doesn’t mean he will regain that trajectory at 25

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Just out of curiosity. Why would him being unable to work on his skills for 5 years improve things?

Progression isn’t linear but it tends to follow a curve. He may have been on good pace at 20. But that doesn’t mean he will regain that trajectory at 25

Yeah, now that he's played 11 games this year, he should be getting up to game speed.

Other players hit the 11 game mark 17 games ago, and most weren't coming an injury.

People should just set aside their preconceived notions about players and evaluate and track their games going forward.

You would think Leafs ability to flush players to other teams where they do get up to speed would be a consideration.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Connor Timmins does kinda looked like Holl in sofar as that both of them suck
Wouldn’t go that far but he’s not gonna be able to hold a spot In The top six come playoff time at this rate but peeke on the other hand

Reactions: rumman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Timmins has one of the best GA/60 of our D, at 1.9, while sporting a 4.5 GF/60. One of the better Corsi, Fenwick, the best On Ice Goals %, second best expected GA/60. He also has the best Shots against per 60... and he's second in PPG amongst our D.

But he sucks??? I don't get it.

He also is relatively inexperienced... you have to view him more like a 21 year old rookie in terms of patience. His numbers defensively have been great, and he's only going to get better over time.

Not expendable.

I think his value to the team definitely remains greater than any trade return he'd realistically get

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Justin Holl couldn't make a break out pass if his life depended on it. Timmins made a break out pass yesterday that led to a goal that Justin Holl could only dream of. Please don't compare Holl to Timmins offensively.
lmao I clearly said similarities in terms of bad defense and lack of physicality.

We were all glazing over Justin Holl at some point too how quick we forget

Reactions: arso40

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
lmao I clearly said similarities in terms of bad defense and lack of physicality.

"Connor Timmins is reminding me of Justin Holl, in the sense that he's offensively gifted"

Those are your exact words my friend. No one was ever glazing over Justin Holl. Yes, at moments he was playing ok defensively, but that was mostly due to Muzzin being his partner. Once Muzzin got hurt, the real Justin Holl showed up which was absolutely atrocious.

Reactions: arso40

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

But except for gaining more man strength isn't progression heavily reliant on more time spent against higher level competition? You play against the highest level of competition you can and earn more ice time until you hit your level. His development was interrupted every year and just getting older doesn't change that. I think he will definitely improve because the missed game time is so great but that really means better than a typical injury free 25 year old.

If you read the scouting reports they said things like impressive two way game, reacts at a high level, very good in his own end and polished. I don't think we see these things in his game most of the time, just the puck movement and the athleticism. The physical part has been rehabbed back for the most part. I could be wrong but I think he can show more if he doesn't break again.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015

Justin Holl wasn't an offensive D though...

That is not what is implied or what you wrote in your original comment though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You are far more bullish on him than I am. He is 25, he's played 141 pro games. His development years are likely behind him. His numbers as a Leaf have been very good but there's just no way you can rely on him to be in the lineup for a full season.
Patience..

How many threads/posts do we have about players we gave up on to early, that are excelling elsewhere? Have patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad