Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Two moves....

Trade 1st and Timmins for Tanev (50% retained) and a 3rd

Sign Puljujarvi (right out from under the Penguins PTO) for 1 x $1M.

Knies Matthews Bertuzzi
Robertson Tavares Nylander
Gregor Domi Marner
Jarnkrok Kampf Puljujarvi

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Giordano Brodie
Benoit Lagesson

Woll
Samsonov
Jones

This team will have time to gel before the playoffs. We take a chance on Puljujarvi as a responsible, big fourth liner than can skate...maybe has upside. We have d depth to load manage Tanev, Gio and Brodie and we can carry three goalies if we want. We still have room to add Reaves back in if we want/have to...or add something small at the TDL.

Yea, we give up a first but we get a third back. We still have Knies, Robertson, Cowan, Minten, Niemela, Woll, Hiddleby and all the B guys.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
@ 25 years old these numbers are going to be expensive
Sharks are no where close to needing his prime years. I think they'll cash in early this year and let him go. Foolish to keep him in their current timeline. He's not a game-changer. I don't see teams going shockingly high on what they give up. A low 1st and a non-exciting but solid prospect should be enough.

I don't think a savior no.2 D is coming. We need to move our thinking towards younger well oiled and rounded machine.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
We need to move our thinking towards younger well oiled and rounded machine.
With you here. I have zero interest in a 33 year old Tanev with massive mileage already. Get me the young guys who still have their best years to give.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
For everyone suggesting Larsson - here is a list of all Seattle defenseman by xWAR and WAR this season:

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 10.59.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 11.01.00 AM.png

I get that all encompassing metrics aren't the be all/end all in hockey but good players/teams tend to grade out well in these metrics. Larsson has been the worst defenseman on Seattle by WAR/xWAR - it probably isn't a coincidence that he plays the most among Seattle defenseman and they are a bottom 5 team in P%. There are plenty of defenseman that could be available that aren't a tire fire analytically.

I am only comparing him to Seattle defenseman to avoid any push back that his numbers are bad because he's on a bad team.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
For everyone suggesting Larsson - here is a list of all Seattle defenseman by xWAR and WAR this season:

View attachment 785159View attachment 785160
I get that all encompassing metrics aren't the be all/end all in hockey but good players/teams tend to grade out well in these metrics. Larsson has been the worst defenseman on Seattle by WAR/xWAR - it probably isn't a coincidence that he plays the most among Seattle defenseman and they are a bottom 5 team in P%. There are plenty of defenseman that could be available that aren't a tire fire analytically.
I know he didn’t suddenly forget how to play hoccey so maybe we can buy low

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’ve been surprised with Benoit’s play. He looked awful in pre-season but has really become a solid addition on the third pair. I haven’t missed Giordano one bit.
Benoit and Lagesson have been the biggest surprise for this team, they’ve proved to be highly capable of handling the bottom pairing duties……..

Reactions: TMLAM34

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto

View attachment 785159View attachment 785160

I am only comparing him to Seattle defenseman to avoid any push back that his numbers are bad because he's on a bad team.
Which is why thankfully decisions aren't solely based on a computer printout.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I know he didn’t suddenly forget how to play hoccey so maybe we can buy low
He wouldn't be the first player to experience decline in his 30s. It's not like he's been a stud defenseman in the past and he's all of a sudden playing poorly. Playing below replacement level isn't out of the ordinary for him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Reilly Larsson/Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Benoit Peeke

Gio Lagesson

Brodie and Timmins out
Skip on Tanev, bump Lilli up with Morgan, run McCabe and Peeke, bottom pairing of Benoit/Lagesson. Gio for pressbox duties………

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I know this name has been a very polarizing option these past few years but with St. Louis actively trying to shake things up I’d look into the cost to acquire Parayko. If it’s something like Robertson, Brodie and a 1st I would probably pull the trigger.

Rielly - Parayko
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - _______

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I know this name has been a very polarizing option these past few years but with St. Louis actively trying to shake things up I’d look into the cost to acquire Parayko. If it’s something like Robertson, Brodie and a 1st I would probably pull the trigger.

Rielly - Parayko
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - _______

He's polarizing because he's had brutal analytics and a huge contract. He's Canadian Ristolainen. 1st and Robertson to take that on is pure insanity imo.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Rielly - Parayko
McCabe - Liljegren
Benoit - _______
It’s too much for me I would trade Brodie in seperate deal maybe for a second or a third and fifth and then trade for parayko with retention I would say robertson and a first is too much for someone they wanna get rid of let alone Brodie on top of that

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Agree with arso, need a top 2 guy
Benoit and lags more so benoit have been solid but I don’t think both if either should start the playoffs Benoit with peeke or lily seems solid but we need that top guy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Raanta might be an interesting waiver claim. Complete head case of a goalie but makes $1.5 million and can catch fire. Not saying he’s your answer but if you needed to throw warm bodies at the position. We do have the cap room to do it… maybe pave the way for a Samsonov exit.

Reactions: Metroid

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Raanta might be an interesting waiver claim. Complete head case of a goalie but makes $1.5 million and can catch fire. Not saying he’s your answer but if you needed to throw warm bodies at the position. We do have the cap room to do it… maybe pave the way for a Samsonov exit.
Or if he passes through waivers, a trade for change of scenery... Raanta for Samsonov. We'd save some on cap too.

Last edited:
Reactions: rumman and Metroid

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I'd hope Benoit would sign for 1m x 2 years to be our #7. I think Timmins is expendable at this point. Guy makes a great pass or 2 a game, but also makes about 5 bad giveaways.
Timmins has 6 points in 11 games and is a plus 7. He has a few gaffes here and there but he definitely deserves to be playing and imho is not expendable at this point. If he can manage to stay healthy he might end up really helping the team

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Or if he passes through waivers, a trade for change of scenery... Raanta for Samsonov. We'd save some on cap too.
Raanta has been horrific this season, even compared to Samsonov, but I'd do this in heartbeat just to get off the 2M cap hit for a player who has no future with the Leafs in Samsonov. Make it a bigger deal and swap Robertson for Drury.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Regarding that hypothetical swap of goalies (Samsonov for Raanta), I'd say Samsonov represents the greater reward and risk as he's easily the better goalie when at his best but also the bigger cap drain during the worst of times. It's either a sensible or sketchy proposition reliant upon one's feelings about Woll and his ability to remain in the net (due to injury related reasons, not performance).

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad