Connor McDavid’s Media Persona

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watching the Amazon Prime Docuseries I came away from it with a completely different view of McDavid than what I perceived.

He said that he hears all the claims from the outside that he’s a robot with no emotions, but he said that he’s a natural introvert. He kept mentioning how he’s prepared for his success his whole life, meaning the hockey. It really does seem like he’s a hockey nerd that has out worked everyone and put in the time that others aren’t to make himself the best hockey player in the world as opposed to being some naturally amazing at everything elite athlete who also is very unfriendly with the media.

I came away feeling like he’s not some arrogant robot who fits all the NHL cliches. I felt sympathy towards him. He’s a guy who loved hockey and worked to make himself great and it just so happens that off the ice he’s not as naturally comfortable as a person being so outgoing to match all the attention that some of the greats in sports are. He shouldn’t get a bad reputation for his personality. He seems the same way that Lionel Messi was.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Watching the Amazon Prime Docuseries I came away from it with a completely different view of McDavid than what I perceived.

He said that he hears all the claims from the outside that he’s a robot with no emotions, but he said that he’s a natural introvert. He kept mentioning how he’s prepared for his success his whole life, meaning the hockey. It really does seem like he’s a hockey nerd that has out worked everyone and put in the time that others aren’t to make himself the best hockey player in the world as opposed to being some naturally amazing at everything elite athlete who also is very unfriendly with the media.

I came away feeling like he’s not some arrogant robot who fits all the NHL cliches. I felt sympathy towards him. He’s a guy who loved hockey and worked to make himself great and it just so happens that off the ice he’s not as naturally comfortable as a person being so outgoing to match all the attention that some of the greats in sports are. He shouldn’t get a bad reputation for his personality. He seems the same way that Lionel Messi was.
Some of the best players this game has ever seen, including Wayne Gretzky, have been introverts. People just need to accept that sometimes people of tremendous talent aren't going to be the life of the party.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Connor has never once shown me anything that could make me say he's an "arrogant robot with no emotions"

He just seems like a quiet, driven eagle scout, who always looks for ways to push himself further (e.g. works with Gary Roberts).

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
I was under the impression this held true for every professional athlete ever...? Who the heck thought he was arrogant?

Reactions: Coffees

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Makes the McDavid loading beer into his trunk video more cringey as another fellow introvert. Imagine finishing a game, emotionally tired getting some beer to relax and got folks all up in your face with a camera

Reactions: Hobo Bob

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
In 2024 people think personality is wearing earrings and extravagant clothes so who cares what they think

McDavid is a real G

McDavid-Oilers-CCM-socks.jpg

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He comes alive on the ice, and in the dressing room. He's all about the job. It's been his whole life, and this PR off ice aspect of the game is alien to him.

On the ice he is one of the most firey players I have ever watched. There was even that moment against Carolina at the worst moment of our horrid start last year where he looked despondent and even close to tears almost. He's very intense

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Of course fans don’t truly know McDavid’s personality. But from what we can understand by connecting the dots, he’s kind of a dolt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad