Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Timmins has 6 points in 11 games and is a plus 7. He has a few gaffes here and there but he definitely deserves to be playing and imho is not expendable at this point. If he can manage to stay healthy he might end up really helping the team
Timmin's defensive game sucks, not what I'd want to rely on in a playoff run........

Reactions: Duffman955

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Timmins has 6 points in 11 games and is a plus 7. He has a few gaffes here and there but he definitely deserves to be playing and imho is not expendable at this point. If he can manage to stay healthy he might end up really helping the team
His stat line is exactly why I think he should be a trade piece. IMO, he doesn't pass the eye test of a guy who will maintain those numbers. Timmins is very prone to turnovers and defensive errors. My hope is that the Leafs sell high on him when acquiring a new Dman or 2.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Timmins has one of the best GA/60 of our D, at 1.9, while sporting a 4.5 GF/60. One of the better Corsi, Fenwick, the best On Ice Goals %, second best expected GA/60. He also has the best Shots against per 60... and he's second in PPG amongst our D.

But he sucks??? I don't get it.

He also is relatively inexperienced... you have to view him more like a 21 year old rookie in terms of patience. His numbers defensively have been great, and he's only going to get better over time.

Not expendable.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I have no interest in Raanta, he’s been way worse than Samsonov this year. If we’re moving Samsonov, I’d look to acquire a 4th line winger with some jam. I mentioned Grundstrom in another thread as LA was one of the teams apparently looking for goaltending.

Timmins is a tricky one. The numbers look pretty good for him and he does provide offence from the backend which is something we need. The big question is if he can stay healthy. I’d give him and Benoit some more time. Could be a real solid third pairing.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I have no interest in Raanta, he’s been way worse than Samsonov this year. If we’re moving Samsonov, I’d look to acquire a 4th line winger with some jam. I mentioned Grundstrom in another thread as LA was one of the teams apparently looking for goaltending.

Timmins is a tricky one. The numbers look pretty good for him and he does provide offence from the backend which is something we need. The big question is if he can stay healthy. I’d give him and Benoit some more time. Could be a real solid third pairing.

Timmins is a guy who you probably don't want to rely on in the playoffs, but you want to keep him in the org to continue to develop him. If he can continue to get better, and have that offense, he's something.... and stay healthy.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Our defence is already shaping up to be better next year, with Benoit and Lagesson coming in and impressing.

Brodie moving on and Giordano retiring will also help. Love Gio, but you have to give Benoit and Lagesson playing time.

This is the perfect situation for Timmins to come and start his development in earnest, and the time between now and TDL is when you do it.

Sheltered 3rd line minutes with a steady stay at home LHD like Benoit or veteran like Gio is exact what Timmins needs. You cannot move Timmins without seeing what he is.

He has size, RHD, we’ve already seen he has a shot and can help a power play, on a low cost contract for the next 2 years. You don’t piss that away just because he goofs during games. Who hasn’t, starting with Brodie….

We need to improve on Brodie. The rest of our D corps looks really good moving forward if Timmins, Benoit, and Lagesson continue their development curve, and Liljegren looks like he’s arriving for real now.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Timmins is a guy who you probably don't want to rely on in the playoffs, but you want to keep him in the org to continue to develop him. If he can continue to get better, and have that offense, he's something.... and stay healthy.
You are far more bullish on him than I am. He is 25, he's played 141 pro games. His development years are likely behind him. His numbers as a Leaf have been very good but there's just no way you can rely on him to be in the lineup for a full season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Our defence is already shaping up to be better next year, with Benoit and Lagesson coming in and impressing.

Brodie moving on and Giordano retiring will also help. Love Gio, but you have to give Benoit and Lagesson playing time.

This is the perfect situation for Timmins to come and start his development in earnest, and the time between now and TDL is when you do it.

Sheltered 3rd line minutes with a steady stay at home LHD like Benoit or veteran like Gio is exact what Timmins needs. You cannot move Timmins without seeing what he is.

He has size, RHD, we’ve already seen he has a shot and can help a power play, on a low cost contract for the next 2 years. You don’t piss that away just because he goofs during games. Who hasn’t, starting with Brodie….

We need to improve on Brodie. The rest of our D corps looks really good moving forward if Timmins, Benoit, and Lagesson continue their development curve, and Liljegren looks like he’s arriving for real now.
be a real shame if one of his goof ups happens to eliminate the leafs during the playoffs. Someone suggested keeping him, but not depend on him this playoffs, that sounds like prudent advice. Let him develop........

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You are far more bullish on him than I am. He is 25, he's played 141 pro games. His development years are likely behind him. His numbers as a Leaf have been very good but there's just no way you can rely on him to be in the lineup for a full season.
What’s wrong with having Timmins and Lagesson fighting for that final spot on the blueline? If Timmins gets injured you still have Lagesson. Seems like a solid #6 and 7 to have.

Don’t get me wrong though, if you can get a clear cut upgrade then I’d obviously do it. But I’d give Timmins some run way right now and hopefully he can stay healthy and we can see what we really have in him before the deadline.

Reactions: Rocker13 and Buds17

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I said a couple of days ago that to me Timmins is the diet Franson.

Not overly impressive to watch, yet finds a way to contribute, mostly with good passing. I'm not opposed to moving him because you have to give to get, but probably not yet.

Last edited:

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
What’s wrong with having Timmins and Lagesson fighting for that final spot on the blueline? If Timmins gets injured you still have Lagesson. Seems like a solid #6 and 7 to have.

Don’t get me wrong though, if you can get a clear cut upgrade then I’d obviously do it. But I’d give Timmins some run way right now and hopefully he can stay healthy and we can see what we really have in him before the deadline.
One is LD one is RD and neither have shown they play well on their off-side. Ideally they aren't fighting for the same spot.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Which defenseman the Toronto Maple Leafs should target?

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos when asked who they think the Toronto Maple Leafs should target for help on their blue line.

** NHLRumors.com transcription

David Amber: “Who is the one defenseman you think Toronto should target for a trade? Start with you Elliotte.”

Friedman: “(Chris) Tanev. They know him, well the GM knows him. The GM signed him. He’s a Toronto guy. To me it’s a, it’s a no-brainer.”

Amber: “Is he back night?”

Friedman: “No he’s not playing night. It was only reported eight hours ago.”

Amber: “I don’t follow you on Twitter anymore. All right Nick, what do you think?”

Kypreos: “Another right-handed shot defenseman. Another one that the Leafs are familiar with may be going back to the bubble, against this very Columbus Blue Jackets team and that is David Savard of the Montreal Canadiens.”

“Big strong guy. Would play that role beautifully. We saw this goal. JB you were doing this game last night. Steps in on a Karlson pass.”

“And he’s got another year on his deal as well. I liked that at what $3.5 (million). So it’s friendly. It might be a little bit more expensive than Tanev if you don’t get him on a new contract, but well worth it.”

Justin Bourne: “I think you’re gonna retain on a guy like Savard too, that’s a good one.”

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
Timmins has one of the best GA/60 of our D, at 1.9, while sporting a 4.5 GF/60. One of the better Corsi, Fenwick, the best On Ice Goals %, second best expected GA/60. He also has the best Shots against per 60... and he's second in PPG amongst our D.

But he sucks??? I don't get it.

He also is relatively inexperienced... you have to view him more like a 21 year old rookie in terms of patience. His numbers defensively have been great, and he's only going to get better over time.

Not expendable.
Lmfao if this is how he is coming off a major injury with little NHL experience, he's gonna be a monster with regular game time and up to speed come playoffs (barring more injuries, which unfortunately he's prone to)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Lmfao if this is how he is coming off a major injury with little NHL experience, he's gonna be a monster with regular game time and up to speed come playoffs (barring more injuries, which unfortunately he's prone to)
I like how you think and love this scenario, but I’m not putting any money on it happening either.

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Gonna need more time then a couple months

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
I like how you think and love this scenario, but I’m not putting any money on it happening either.
A healthy squad that adds Tanev drops Timmins down to 4th best RD anyways, but if that's your 4th best RD I think you're in a good spot.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Brodie
Lagesson - Timmins
Benoit

That's a solid defense with good depth. Great blend of physicality and offense. A replacement internally for virtually everyone. Next year and going forward Timmins will be very important along with Liljegren.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Tanev is great and all, but the dude screams injury like 5 games into his Leafs tenure.

He also screams a guy who's gonna break a bone blocking a shot in the playoffs but will try to gut it out and play through it but will cost the leafs the series because he was playing like ass due to the injury

Just too injury prone to me but obviously a great player when healthy so I wouldn't be oppsoed to it

Reactions: Duffman955

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
A healthy squad that adds Tanev drops Timmins down to 4th best RD anyways, but if that's your 4th best RD I think you're in a good spot.

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Liljegren
Giordano - Brodie
Lagesson - Timmins
Benoit

That's a solid defense with good depth. Great blend of physicality and offense. A replacement internally for virtually everyone. Next year and going forward Timmins will be very important along with Liljegren.
I still look to move Brodie for draft capital and then turn around and spend a 5th or something on peeke or a middling prospect that won’t likely ever play for us

Tanev is great and all, but the dude screams injury like 5 games into his Leafs tenure.

He also screams a guy who's gonna break a bone blocking a shot in the playoffs but will try to gut it out and play through it but will cost the leafs the series because he was playing like ass due to the injury

Just too injury prone to me but obviously a great player when healthy so I wouldn't be oppsoed to it
Murphy maybe ?? Chicago would listen I’d like to think

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017

Which defenseman the Toronto Maple Leafs should target?

Sportsnet: Elliotte Friedman and Nick Kypreos when asked who they think the Toronto Maple Leafs should target for help on their blue line.

** NHLRumors.com transcription

David Amber: “Who is the one defenseman you think Toronto should target for a trade? Start with you Elliotte.”

Friedman: “(Chris) Tanev. They know him, well the GM knows him. The GM signed him. He’s a Toronto guy. To me it’s a, it’s a no-brainer.”

Amber: “Is he back night?”

Friedman: “No he’s not playing night. It was only reported eight hours ago.”

Amber: “I don’t follow you on Twitter anymore. All right Nick, what do you think?”

Kypreos: “Another right-handed shot defenseman. Another one that the Leafs are familiar with may be going back to the bubble, against this very Columbus Blue Jackets team and that is David Savard of the Montreal Canadiens.”

“Big strong guy. Would play that role beautifully. We saw this goal. JB you were doing this game last night. Steps in on a Karlson pass.”

“And he’s got another year on his deal as well. I liked that at what $3.5 (million). So it’s friendly. It might be a little bit more expensive than Tanev if you don’t get him on a new contract, but well worth it.”

Justin Bourne: “I think you’re gonna retain on a guy like Savard too, that’s a good one.”
David Savard screams Brad Treliving.

Savard retained wouldn't be bad. Would cost less than Tanev

I still look to move Brodie for draft capital and then turn around and spend a 5th or something on peeke or a middling prospect that won’t likely ever play for us

Murphy maybe ?? Chicago would listen I’d like to think
I like Murphy too

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Samsonov was around 5th in save percentage last season and he won the Leafs a playoff round last year. Maybe Woll struggles when he returns. Samsonov is a guy that could be re-signed given his age and ability depending on his terms. I would let him play his way out of his poor start.

David Savard with 50% retention is 1.75M per this season and next. Similar to McCabe at 2M. He is a valuable shot blocker and PKer who logs top-4 ice time. My concern is that he hasn't been throwing as many body checks as he usually does last year and to start this year, though this year has been a limited sample because of injury. That could make him a less impactful addition.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd hope Benoit would sign for 1m x 2 years to be our #7. I think Timmins is expendable at this point. Guy makes a great pass or 2 a game, but also makes about 5 bad giveaways.
It’s funny for all his struggles the puck rarely enters the net when he’s on the ice.
Is ‘giveaways’ a stat that’s tracked? I wonder how many he’s actually had this season.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Samsonov was around 5th in save percentage last season and he won the Leafs a playoff round last year. Maybe Woll struggles when he returns. Samsonov is a guy that could be re-signed given his age and ability depending on his terms. I would let him play his way out of his poor start.

David Savard with 50% retention is 1.75M per this season and next. Similar to McCabe at 2M. He is a valuable shot blocker and PKer who logs top-4 ice time. My concern is that he hasn't been throwing as many body checks as he usually does last year and to start this year, though this year has been a limited sample because of injury. That could make him a less impactful addition.
Whats the cap hit on Gubrandson at 50% retained?

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

To get where we wanna go we need 1 more impactful dman need a top 2 Brodie needs to go as well if it helps the money work if not leave him with gio I guess

Reactions: LeafSteel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad