Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I assume this is all trying to say you think Nylander will get more than 9.5M? Look at his comparables.
Caps going up based on that fact alone he’ll make more than his comparables and who is it that you believe are his comparables ? Fiala? meier? Like cmon he’s better than them pastas better than him at the moment but what does that mean to you? Marners his comparable so why is it 9.5 for nylander which pays a mil less than marners current deal but marners deserving of a raise these are humans let’s keep that in mind it’s not nhl 23

I’d give Nylander 10x8.
Not you too buddy

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Caps going up based on that fact alone he’ll make more than his comparables and who is it that you believe are his comparables ? Fiala? meier? Like cmon he’s better than them pastas better than him at the moment but what does that mean to you? Marners his comparable so why is it 9.5 for nylander which pays a mil less than marners current deal but marners deserving of a raise these are humans let’s keep that in mind it’s not nhl 23
Prior to this season Fiala and Meier were very fair comparables. Now he is in the Forsberg stratosphere with this start. If he finishes this season at the same pace he started then he'd move into the Gaudreau stratosphere. Keep in mind, for all comparables I am looking at contract years.

I am not going to argue his value vs. Marner. Marner has been the far superior player for the past 5 seasons. Nylander is obviously better this season. Marner's contract was an albatross from day 1 and if the Leafs acknowledge his contract in negotiations they will lose immediately. Nylander's options are sign with the Leafs or walk, therefore he has to use the rest of the NHL salary market for comparables, not just internal comparables.

Anyone saying Marner deserves a raise is not a Leafs fan.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Oh come on.

All of those guys except for Cowan are B-level prospects, worth the equivalent of a 2nd/3rd.

As we don't have any 2nds and want to make some meaningful additions, some of those guys might have to go.
Id argue that is not true but even if it was they’re ours and we need our developed prospects to play on elc not to be traded for players with salaries we can’t afford

Prior to this season Fiala and Meier were very fair comparables. Now he is in the Forsberg stratosphere with this start. If he finishes this season at the same pace he started then he'd move into the Gaudreau stratosphere. Keep in mind, for all comparables I am looking at contract years.

I am not going to argue his value vs. Marner. Marner has been the far superior player for the past 5 seasons. Nylander is obviously better this season. Marner's contract was an albatross from day 1 and if the Leafs acknowledge his contract in negotiations they will lose immediately. Nylander's options are sign with the Leafs or walk, therefore he has to use the rest of the NHL salary market for comparables, not just internal comparables.

Anyone saying Marner deserves a raise is not a Leafs fan.
Fair enough but what’s deserved and what will happen may not be the same nylanders not signing for 10 no more than marners signing for anything less than 11

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Until JT comes off the books it's going to be really really tight if Nylander is resigned. Not sure what the plan will be for goalies either. Would be risky to go Woll + a guy like Jones for example but might be a way to free up a couple mil extra

Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Until JT comes off the books it's going to be really really tight if Nylander is resigned. Not sure what the plan will be for goalies either. Would be risky to go Woll + a guy like Jones for example but might be a way to free up a couple mil extra
Or the rookie goalie comes up and solves the problem I figure nylander lands in the 10ish range when it’s all done which will be a steal then hopefully marner takes 11 mil it’s unrealistic to think he would sign for anything less and we go from there

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Or the rookie goalie comes up and solves the problem I figure nylander lands in the 10ish range when it’s all done which will be a steal then hopefully marner takes 11 mil it’s unrealistic to think he would sign for anything less and we go from there
Ya that is the way I see it shaking out too but it just doesn't leave much wiggle room. Matthews + Nylander raises will take up the entire big cap jump and then there are additional raises needed for guys like Liljegren followed by replacing practically every defender in the top 6 other than Rielly and Timmins. It's going to be rough especially as UFAs are going to want bigger deals given the cap rise.

Reactions: arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
It is not as a big issue as most people think.

Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie deals expire.

Minten and Cowan could end up making the team on elcs, and you then still have cap for a top 4 d in free agency and left over cap and a stop gap goalie like Talbot.
When I run numbers, I still even have cap for another borderline top 4 d.

In another year you have an idea of where Woll and Hildeby stand and potentially roll with two goalies on cheap contracts or move one of them.

Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Minten and Cowan could end up making the team on elcs, and you then still have cap for a top 4 d in free agency and left over cap and a stop gap goalie like Talbot.

In another year you have an idea of where Woll and Hildeby stand and potentially roll with two goalies on cheap contracts or move one of them.
This is why next year is likely a 'pause' by conventional roster and money standards.. lots of runway for kids

They should have the notion of pushing this year whatever happens happens.. breathing next year and if suprises happen great and then start pushing agaim year after

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
This is why next year is likely a 'pause' by conventional roster and money standards.. lots of runway for kids

They should have the notion of pushing this year whatever happens happens.. breathing next year and if suprises happen great and then start pushing agaim year after
Or they could stop paying for rentals and just focus on building a sustainable roster.

• Love
Reactions: Rare Jewel

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Honestly, I don’t care if the Leafs slightly overpay for Nylander or Marner on their next contract as long as they don’t give them NMCs.

Leafs need to stop handing out these NMCs and NTCs like candy.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Honestly, I don’t care if the Leafs slightly overpay for Nylander or Marner on their next contract as long as they don’t give them NMCs.

NMC's and NTC are pretty standard on the open market .. it's nothing unique the Leafs' are doing. Marner and Nylander will both get them from any team.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
This is not our year. We need to fill way too many holes.

1) we need at least one stud dman (defensive minded, crease clearing ideally)

2) we need a #1b goalie (Samsonov and Jones aren’t reliable enough) Woll has earned the #1a.

3) we need a 3rd line center that’s responsible defensively and can pot a few goals

4) a new coach (this one can’t seem to motivate our players any longer plus he’s too soft. It’s clear he has no real power and answers to the players when it should be the other way around)

My two cents

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
This team always needed a D**** type of player
A player who plays a bit over the edge and a borderline POS

I know from an organizational point of view, we frown upon that. Because everyone knows Leafs are a family team.

I am so tired of being the nice team. Last night 9-3 loss and nobody did jack sh****

We need a player who'll be like F U, I am going to f u up because I can.

Just somehow get me Tom Wilson........ I am so sick and tired of watching skill players who doesn't give a F

How do you get embarrased 9-3 what essentially is a home game and just walk into the sunset?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

They also have to replace all those guys with top4D and top 9 forwards likely via UFA that will have inflated contracts due to higher cap ceiling. Basically have to replace the entire top 4D other than Rielly and don't have additional cap room due to Nylander + Matthews raises.

Everything depends on what happens with Nylander though.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Also, Both Cowan and Minten being on the team next year is pretty improbable, and they shouldn't be counting on them either

I expect this to ramp up, given the WJC is starting in a few days, but really, Minten should be playing top 6 in the A, and Cowan would still be best in O.

Reactions: andora

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I know from an organizational point of view, we frown upon that. Because everyone knows Leafs are a family team.

I am so tired of being the nice team. Last night 9-3 loss and nobody did jack sh****

Just somehow get me Tom Wilson........ I am so sick and tired of watching skill players who doesn't give a F

How do you get embarrased 9-3 what essentially is a home game and just walk into the sunset?

Sir this is obviously incorrect, Trelivings presence alone made everyone stick up for each other and hit a lot (but only at home and never on the road), this is now a team with very epic snot.

Reactions: andora

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yikes, gives Willie a NMC and then wants to change the core. LOL.

Domi did show some emotion, but it was way too late.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

They’ll all demand NMC’s, that ship has sadly sailed……..

Reactions: Zero1 and TMLAM34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki