Confirmed with Link: Ullmark signs 4 years 8.25

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Ullmark looks extremely fast.

Even if he can't match the same levels he reached in Boston, he's gonna give us a really solid chance to win.

Biggest impact you can make is upgrading in net. It makes bad teams good and good teams great.

If the leafs made this move five years ago they'd have a couple more banners in their barn.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ullmark looks extremely fast.

Even if he can't match the same levels he reached in Boston, he's gonna give us a really solid chance to win.

Biggest impact you can make is upgrading in net. It makes bad teams good and good teams great.

If the leafs made this move five years ago they'd have a couple more banners in their barn.
It's the locker room voice that I bet is awesome from him that's the huge added benefit. He seems like someone who will call out the team when they play badly in between periods - probably like Alfie in that regard, but also someone who will be a great teammate and continuously praise good work etc, while showing a great work ethic himself.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
A goalie coach that was on Kyper and Bourne said it a couple days ago. I am not sure why he would lie. That being said what does saying "there is a risk" have to do with being a fan or not?

perhaps trying to tell people where or how to post is a you problem. Hostile, negative, all around off topic and stinkky
Your first mistake is believing anything - anything - on that podcast. Kyper does not try to hide his Leaf bias. For those of us who have known him throughout the years, his anti-Sens bias is just as strong as his pro-Leaf stance.

That said - goalie "coaches" are just that - coaches. They're not starting goalies in the NHL. They can try and watch video and make suggestions here and there but they aren't the ones stopping pucks. I would take that guy's opinion with a grain of salt.

What we do have at our disposal is a couple pre-season games and a win against the defending Stanley Cup champions last night. It doesn't take long to know if a goalie has "it". It took probably 2 games last year for all of us to know Korpisalo isn't great.

People can try and argue Ullmark was a product of the system but I'm going to disagree. He's a phenomenal goalie. Watch his saves last night. Probably the best sequence was the team getting hemmed in, the Panthers getting a chance and then one of them taking the puck around back for a wrap-around only to get stoned by Ullmark. The sheer athleticism and reaction time to make that save was world-class. 100% that is a goal against by Murray, Korpisalo, Forsberg, Soogard etc.

Again - we're one game in and Ullmark just got us 2 points. Let that sink in. This team missed by what, 13 points last season? I'd say things are looking good.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Your first mistake is believing anything - anything - on that podcast. Kyper does not try to hide his Leaf bias. For those of us who have known him throughout the years, his anti-Sens bias is just as strong as his pro-Leaf stance.

That said - goalie "coaches" are just that - coaches. They're not starting goalies in the NHL. They can try and watch video and make suggestions here and there but they aren't the ones stopping pucks. I would take that guy's opinion with a grain of salt.

What we do have at our disposal is a couple pre-season games and a win against the defending Stanley Cup champions last night. It doesn't take long to know if a goalie has "it". It took probably 2 games last year for all of us to know Korpisalo isn't great.

People can try and argue Ullmark was a product of the system but I'm going to disagree. He's a phenomenal goalie. Watch his saves last night. Probably the best sequence was the team getting hemmed in, the Panthers getting a chance and then one of them taking the puck around back for a wrap-around only to get stoned by Ullmark. The sheer athleticism and reaction time to make that save was world-class. 100% that is a goal against by Murray, Korpisalo, Forsberg, Soogard etc.

Again - we're one game in and Ullmark just got us 2 points. Let that sink in. This team missed by what, 13 points last season? I'd say things are looking good.

you suggest I base my thoughts on what people that have no contacts and connections feel because...fan
I suggest people should be able to hear things without throwing a little fit.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
you suggest I base my thoughts on what people that have no contacts and connections feel because...fan
I suggest people should be able to hear things without throwing a little fit.
I think it's just gotten a little old for Sens fans. We've been hearing all summer about how Korpisalo is gonna go to Boston and because of their supposed elite defensive system will suddenly turn in to a reliable goaltender, all while completely ignoring his lackluster career before he came to Ottawa. Then there's fabrications around Ullmark's career and trying to make it seem as though he only succeeded because of their defensive system and wasn't any good in Buffalo and would crumble in Ottawa. It's BS. Korpisalo sucks and Ullmark is obviously in the top 5-10 starters in the league.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I think it's just gotten a little old for Sens fans. We've been hearing all summer about how Korpisalo is gonna go to Boston and because of their supposed elite defensive system will suddenly turn in to a reliable goaltender, all while completely ignoring his lackluster career before he came to Ottawa. Then there's fabrications around Ullmark's career and trying to make it seem as though he only succeeded because of their defensive system and wasn't any good in Buffalo and would crumble in Ottawa. It's BS. Korpisalo sucks and Ullmark is obviously in the top 5-10 starters in the league.
I saw Korpisalo 8 feet to the right side of the net facing the back boards in full stance on his knees trying to save a pass. lol That guy is complete trash.
Ullmark has been great so far, but there is a risk involved, he has no track record of playing lots of games. It's not just playing more games, the rest between games could be an issue. Could be. nobody is saying it will be, or that he sucks, It is an unknown and that equals risk.
There is also reports on the TV saying he was the type that didn't want to play all the time.
that shows a bit of risk. Could they be wrong? yes. could they be right? yes
Kyper and Bourne both seem to be growing fond of the sens these days. They like Brady and Kyp was saying he used to play with Ridley's dad and he was glowing with pride saying how much he like his clapper goal. So I don't think calling them haters or biased is correct
I hope he does want to play a lot and can, But for argument sake any goalie looking for a huge contract is going to say how much he wants to play all the games,
Time will tell.
I am not sure why that would make people mad or upset or demand others don't post, or insist they are not fans. It is what it is
its a discussion forum. Its the entire point

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I saw Korpisalo 8 feet to the right side of the net facing the back boards in full stance on his knees trying to save a pass. lol That guy is complete trash.
Ullmark has been great so far, but there is a risk involved, he has no track record of playing lots of games. It's not just playing more games, the rest between games could be an issue. Could be. nobody is saying it will be, or that he sucks, It is an unknown and that equals risk.
There is also reports on the TV saying he was the type that didn't want to play all the time.
Kyper and Bourne both seem to be growing fond of the sens these days. They like Brady and Kyp was saying he used to play with Ridley's dad and he was glowing with pride saying how much he like his clapper goal. So I don't think calling them haters or biased is correct
I hope he does want to play a lot and can, But for argument sake any goalie looking for a huge contract is going to say how much he wants to play all the games,
Time will tell.
I am not sure why that would make people mad or upset or demand others don't post, or insist they are not fans. It is what it is
its a discussion forum. Its the entire point
The point is if you think signing the goalie who has the best numbers in the NHL for the last 2 years and has good to great numbers his entire career is a risk, then you think making any move is a risk.

You can try and back it up, however you want, but to most people, it is a slam dunk move that you make 100 out of 100 times.

Goalies make or break teams! The far greater risk was keeping the status quo with Korpisalo, and their term is basically the same.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
The point is if you think signing the goalie who has the best numbers in the NHL for the last 2 years and has good to great numbers his entire career is a risk, then you think making any move is a risk.

You can try and back it up, however you want, but to most people, it is a slam dunk move that you make 100 out of 100 times.

Goalies make or break teams! The far greater risk was keeping the status quo with Korpisalo, and their term is basically the same.
Well ya its a risk you take. I'm fairly sure I never suggested otherwise. I was wishing Boston would have won its contract game and gotten a 7 million dollar contract done.
Its a good contract for the Sens. 4 years ..going rate on a crappy team that most often has to give extra cash for those UFA's to play.
but after the last 8 years I am conditioned to wait for the disaster to show its face.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Awesome job by Staios

Took 2 major mistakes from Dorion and turned it in a positive situation even if a goalie can't be worth a 7th OA

Fixed most of the Korpisalo mistake and used that late 1st to get a core piece for at least 5 years, something that would have been hard to do with a 25th OA pick.

Makes the pill of losing a 7th OA pick, a 2nd and a 3rd for nothing more palatable

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well ya its a risk you take. I'm fairly sure I never suggested otherwise. I was wishing Boston would have won its contract game and gotten a 7 million dollar contract done.
Its a good contract for the Sens. 4 years ..going rate on a crappy team that most often has to give extra cash for those UFA's to play.
but after the last 8 years I am conditioned to wait for the disaster to show its face.
You should read Chicken Little.

It's also not a bad contract or an extra fee. Everything about him from his abilities on the ice to his off ice leadership and his community presence are what you pray for from the organizational standpoint.

I guarantee you everyone involved in the Senators is ecstatic how this turned out, and nobody feels it is risky.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Awesome job by Staios

Took 2 major mistakes from Dorion and turned it in a positive situation even if a goalie can't be worth a 7th OA

Fixed most of the Korpisalo mistake and used that late 1st to get a core piece for at least 5 years, something that would have been hard to do with a 25th OA pick.

Makes the pill of losing a 7th OA pick, a 2nd and a 3rd for nothing more palatable

The trade is looking very good with how little they paid to dump Korpisalo, and how little it will cost them in dead cap if he is bought out by Boston next offseason. The retention is going to end up being negligible after this season if he is bought out. The dead cap after a buyout is about 1.83M, but there is also a cap credit of about 915k. So a buyout averages out to about 153k per season for 6 seasons, it is just lopsided how it is distributed.

The short of it is that if he is bought out next year, the Sens got out of 16M of bad cap (about 12M if buried) at a cost of less than 2M (1M this season, 917k over 6 more seasons).

Screenshot 2024-10-11 at 10.58.17 PM.png

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
no thats not the video. and Kyp is just thinking what the goalie coach told him a day or two before. I do not care all that much I am just saying there is risk in any contract to any player/
But he has already gained the sens two points that they would not have got last year so that was fast.
Nick Kypreos is pretty much the most biased Sens hater out there in the hockey world.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We don't win yesterday with forsberg in net.

If we make the playoffs this year, he's gonna be the reason.
What exactly are we saying here?

There's 32 teams. 16 make it. And the odds aren't even because elite star players get locked in for years bumping the odds where they are locked in.

But just zeroing in on goaltending for a second, can you make the playoffs with really crappy goaltending? How many teams make the playoffs with a Korpisalo/Forsberg tandem last year?

Are we saying we need Ullmark to be a top 10 starter in order to make the playoffs? I'll buy that. Sure.

But I think we're literally suffering from goalie PTSD around here. It's sucked so bad for so long. Go around the league. How many teams can make it with sub par goaltending?

Just look at us and Boston last year. They had +30 gsaa and we had -31. If the two teams swap goalies, what happens? The most likely outcome is swapping positions. A playoff spot for us, a top 10 pick for them. Solely on how the gsaa impacts team goal differential, they miss and we comfortably make the playoffs

To me it was a completely different experience watching the game Thursday with Ullmark in net and having a 2 goal lead

Reactions: dumbdick

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
or you could go by what Linus said, he wants to play more games, which is the opposite.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
The best thing about Linus is that hes composed.

He isnt going to always make those highlight reel saves but hes always in position he always makes the saves hes suppose to make.

I think for this reason he is going to be such a good fit for us. Last year the team was probably so hesitant to even let a puck get to the net with how shaky Korpisalo was.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Awesome job by Staios

The same way you and others called out Adrianopoulos for this thread -https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/the-ottawa-senators-defeat-the-defending-champions-on-opening-night.2977471/ - I'm calling you out with this post and many others in recent years!

Please stop with all those repetitive posts about how bad Dorion was in various thread

I hope the Moderators could clean up this type of posts (repetitives and outside of the intended subjects)

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The same way you and others called out Adrianopoulos for this thread -https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/the-ottawa-senators-defeat-the-defending-champions-on-opening-night.2977471/ - I'm calling you out with this post and many others in recent years!

Please stop with all those repetitive posts about how bad Dorion was in various thread

I hope the Moderators could clean up this type of posts (repetitives and outside of the intended subjects)
You can't. Dorion was bad at all sorts of things. That's why it gets brought up in all the threads. He left no stone unturned when fcking up. After we turn in the first round pick he buggered up, then people might be more willing to turn the page. At this point though his mistakes are still being fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad