Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The 10M argument holds literally zero weight because the cap hasn't allowed for it. People used that argument all the time, then Florida wins with a 10M player and all of a sudden the goal posts move.

You need multiple stars to win. You need depth to win. You can't pick one over the other.

Exactly. Percentage of the cap is probably better measurement.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The 10M argument holds literally zero weight because the cap hasn't allowed for it.
He's gonna make 12M+ so I wrote 10 just to counter that.

Exactly. Percentage of the cap is probably better measurement.
I'm ok with using that, too. Also let's not forget that Mack with his 12.6M exists so it's not an Ovi situation.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I know I've often complained about Bednar not moving Mikko to the second line to boost it. I certainly don't think that should happen now with JD on the shelf. But would it be the end of the world to have Girard and Manson take some more shifts with the top unit and see if Makar can help Mitts spark more out of the second line? Or naw?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Not even remotely what I typed. A team with those two on the third line, but keeping Mittlestadt, Drouin, Colton, and Girard (plus getting a goalie that deserves $5M+) - especially after Makar gets his new contract - very well may be.
Sorry, it could maybe win a cup. I just don't see it.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
I think Mikko would look great in Stars uniform. Could work well with Hintz and Robertson
giphy.gif

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
So ya'll are saying we'd be a worse team if we traded Moose and 7giev for Guenther, Crouse and Ingram?

Why would Youta do this? Who knows, but a Guenther type is who you'd have to target. Sure you'd lose about 20-30 points but can you really put a price on the level of pure elation we'd all feel when we rid ourselves of Georsieve?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One problem is that goaltending is quite a lottery so that (excluding _very_ few names), money doesn't guarantee a great goalie. And vice versa, a goalie can be great without a big contract.

Especially when it comes to the playoffs.

There is truth to that, but I'm not suggesting we hand 8m to a goalie that isn't well established either lol.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I know I've often complained about Bednar not moving Mikko to the second line to boost it. I certainly don't think that should happen now with JD on the shelf. But would it be the end of the world to have Girard and Manson take some more shifts with the top unit and see if Makar can help Mitts spark more out of the second line? Or naw?

Yeah, especially with how bad defensively the top line has been. I guess I got my wish of not seeing Drouin and Mikko on the same line unfortunately. 😭

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
They need Nuke/Landy type.. :(

Yeah, or Lehkky 😭

Let's hope Kovy or Ross can provide some of that.

Watch Bednar put Richie up there just to infuriate me now.

It might sound kinda crazy, and Richie obviously isn't ready to be a traditional 3C, but I'd be curious to see if he could bring some creativity to that line either as a center or wing. I give the kid credit, he's trying shit lol. I'd rather that than seeing him get neutered even if Bednar is going to try.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You obviously could try to trade Rantanen for a similar level "pretty much an All-Star"-goalie, like, say, Shesterkin.

If there was a trade fit out there I'd explore it, they need to explore everything just to be prepared anyway.

One of the problems with trading Mikko is how difficult even the cap fit would be let alone the extension, and the fact no team gives up quality for pending UFA stars.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
If there was a trade fit out there I'd explore it, they need to explore everything just to be prepared anyway.

One of the problems with trading Mikko is how difficult even the cap fit would be let alone the extension, and the fact no team gives up quality for pending UFA stars.
It is true, but somehow weird, because it is true even if the price is a pending UFA star.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It is true, but somehow weird, because it is true even if the price is a pending UFA star.

You would think a player of Mikko's caliber could bring an established goalie and a top six forward, but Mikko isn't re-signing with that team. You'd have to sign him, and then flip him without telling him. Our management just isn't that type lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It is exceedingly rare that big ufa to bes are in a hockey trade. Any Mikko trade would most likely be a pile of futures. You’d then have to trade those pile of futures for other pieces.

It’s not happening. Mikko will be re-signed. He likely wants more than MacK and Avs don’t want to do that. Somebody will blink.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It is exceedingly rare that big ufa to bes are in a hockey trade. Any Mikko trade would most likely be a pile of futures. You’d then have to trade those pile of futures for other pieces.

It’s not happening. Mikko will be re-signed. He likely wants more than MacK and Avs don’t want to do that. Somebody will blink.

I know you are solidly of that opinion, but I actually think there is a chance no one blinks for real this time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I know you are solidly of that opinion, but I actually think there is a chance no one blinks for real this time.
Mikko wants to play for a contender. Give me a team that is in a better place than Colorado, that can afford to give what Mikko wants on a 7 year deal?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
You would think a player of Mikko's caliber could bring an established goalie and a top six forward, but Mikko isn't re-signing with that team. You'd have to sign him, and then flip him without telling him. Our management just isn't that type lol.
Sign and trade could be an option _IF_ (I don't think so) Rantanen is unsigned in late June.

But yeah, trading for some other player that is around the same level and also a pending UFA would make sense. But won't happen.

Honestly, I'm still ready to bet that Rantanen re-signs with Colorado. I understand people in this thread likes to speculate and media takes the value there is about the situation, and sure, go ahead, nothing wrong with that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mikko wants to play for a contender. Give me a team that is in a better place than Colorado, that can afford to give what Mikko wants on a 7 year deal?
You post this like the Avs will be a contender. :naughty:

There’s too much to lose for the Avs.

• Haha

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sign and trade could be an option _IF_ (I don't think so) Rantanen is unsigned in late June.

But yeah, trading for some other player that is around the same level and also a pending UFA would make sense. But won't happen.

Honestly, I'm still ready to bet that Rantanen re-signs with Colorado. I understand people in this thread likes to speculate and media takes the value there is about the situation, and sure, go ahead, nothing wrong with that.

I do too, but I think if that happens it's Mikko who blinks.

The salary cap is a hard fact, and they took Landeskog all the way to free agency. While Mikko is the better player, respective to the time it happened I think they valued Landeskog more than they do Mikko right now as an organization.

Yeah there is always the theory they did that purely to mess with the expansion draft, but they did it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You post this like the Avs will be a contender. :naughty:

There’s too much to lose for the Avs.

This organization loves their high horse. Ownership isn't going to force Sakic's hand either. He is still in charge.

They'll play the victim if he walks just like they did with Stastny.

I'm just saying, they have experience with this, and have proven they will take guys all the way to UFA even if logic dictates they shouldn't.

Reactions: henchman21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad