Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs have been speculated to be a potential destination for Lyubushkin. It was Lube, then Schenn, now maybe Lube again. The Leafs had to trade for each of them and they watched them walk for nothing, only to have to fill the hole again for an added fee.

If the Leafs can get Peeke with a contract for an additional 2 seasons as a contract dump to fill the hole. It saves from having to trade a 2nd or 3rd every deadline for the same exact player. An extra physical RHD.

I think with Lagesson and Benoit doing a pretty good job in their roles, we might want to get a little more quality separation for top pairing knowing those two can give us Boosh/Schenn style games on the bottom pair. If there's any positive from all these injuries on defense, it allows a few guys to step up and audition. If the Leafs are happy with them they can be more focused shoppers in season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think with Lagesson and Benoit doing a pretty good job in their roles, we might want to get a little more quality separation for top pairing knowing those two can give us Boosh/Schenn style games on the bottom pair. If there's any positive from all these injuries on defense, it allows a few guys to step up and audition. If the Leafs are happy with them they can be more focused shoppers in season.

This, we've got physical scoring suppressors sorted out lower in the lineup now imo

Top 4 improvement should be our aim

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I have to disagree on Kampf. I think given his limitations he is close to 500k overpaid and that is IF he was performing, which he’s not.
And wtf is with the 4 years AND the NT? Were they afraid of a bidding war:) ? 7 goals from their #3c and they traded last year to add an actual C to push him down. He is a weird skill set but an effective player when at the top of his game. Just not quite a top 9 player most nights. Shame on you Tre unless you were bullied into that deal.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
This, we've got physical scoring suppressors sorted out lower in the lineup now imo

Top 4 improvement should be our aim

We likely need two upgrades in the top-4.

Rielly is good.

Brodie is fine as a #4. McCabe is a 4/5. Liljegren is sometimes a #4. All of them are in positions to fail in the 2/3 slot.

Reactions: nuck

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

So a $4.175 million increase.

$1.51 million went to Matthews... leaving $2.665 to go to Nylander, which gets him up to $9.6 million, which is a good framework for a new deal. Couch cushion money to pay the rest (if any) depending on how smoothly negotiations go. Minimal impact to the rest of the roster, for better or for worse.

Reactions: TMLAM34

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have to disagree on Kampf. I think given his limitations he is close to 500k overpaid and that is IF he was performing, which he’s not.

Kampf kinda stinks... It's not like he has untapped high pedigree of a Zacha, or the veteran versatility of a Calle Jarnkrok. Or any kind of mean streak that could be a factor. He's not even Mikheyev or Engvall. I would move off this guy as soon as possible and get pro scouting to find a Moneyball replacement.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
We likely need two upgrades in the top-4.

Rielly is good.

Brodie is fine as a #4. McCabe is a 4/5. Liljegren is sometimes a #4. All of them are in positions to fail in the 2/3 slot.
This is the main issue, they need a #2 or #3. I don't even really care if its LHD or RHD. Either Reilly gets a partner on the 1st pair or Lilly gets a partner on the 2nd pair. They just have to make sure the player is not a #4 D or lower. They have plenty of those.

If they get a good LHD partner for Lilly, and sign Tanev on the cheap to pair with Reilly, that is a short term workable solution.
Then you can choose from the assortment of leftover D for the bottom pairing, and trade the others.

Reactions: arso40

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Leafs have been speculated to be a potential destination for Lyubushkin. It was Lube, then Schenn, now maybe Lube again. The Leafs had to trade for each of them and they watched them walk for nothing, only to have to fill the hole again for an added fee.

If the Leafs can get Peeke with a contract for an additional 2 seasons as a contract dump to fill the hole. It saves from having to trade a 2nd or 3rd every deadline for the same exact player. An extra physical RHD.
I've had interest in Peeke in the past and still would if he was at a lower AAV but its concerning that he's a 6/7 on one of the worst teams in the league while carrying $2,750,000 cap hit for 3 seasons.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Leafs need to big game hunt and get players under term that they spend assets on.

Reactions: Al14

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I really wouldn't waste cap space on bottom pairing physical defensemen. That's really not the problem with the Leafs, especially when you consider very capable options already here. In theory, with a lot of cap retention, you can fit 2 in... but why splurge assets to get more of what we have?

This is why Tanev is so much more worth it now and in the short-term. He plays very tough minutes and some top end defensive minutes at a high level. Yes he's older and yes he's a UFA but Lyubushkin or Peeke or those kind of players really don't do much to what we need, which is give us quality minutes.

In the off-season there was a time where perhaps Peeke could have been acquired, or even Lyubushkin (for a 4th in August by the Ducks). But that's gone now when our cap space is incredibly limited due to other signings and the lack of cap space clearing.

If the Leafs lose out on Tanev, then I think there are other alternatives down the line that could help a bit... and that's where perhaps Lyubushkin could come in.

Last edited:

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
What about another McCabe/Lafferty type trade?

TOR
Scott Laughton 50% retained - $1.5M for 3 playoffs
Sean Walker

PHI
1st
3rd
Timmins
Reaves ;)

If Tanev happens:

Knies Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Laughton Domi
Gregor Kampf Jarnkrok

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Walker
Brody-Liljegren

Laughton as the defense on the third line. Badly needed C for PK. Shut down 4th line. More O-zone starts for top 6.
It seams to me that Chicago is selling again this year. Last year they were willing to accept a 1st, 2nd and two minors for Mccabe (retained 50% for two additional years), Lafferty and two conditional 5th. If you review Chicago's roster, Connor Murphy is signed for two more years after this one just like Mccabe was. Do a similar deal involving Murphy retained 50% and someone else. I'm not sure how Murphy is playing to be honest but food for thought. The Leafs could use another cheap defensemen with the potential cap issues they have next year.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I want nothing to do with Lyubushkin. Dude wasn't even that physical when he was here. Benoit is better anyways, both from a talent and physical perspective.

If we want a bottom pairing rugged defender, go for Nick Seeler or Ferraro. Both are left handed though which sucks

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
NYR could use a true RW to play in their top 6 and they’re looking like true cup contenders. There could be a deal to be made around Miller+Laf for Nylander(50% retained)+McCabe. The value might favor Toronto given age/contract status.

This allows the Leafs to no longer worry about the Nylander UFA contract and add to their <25 core that will enter their prime as Matthews gets closer to 30.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Seattle needs a different look in net. I’d try to pry Ryan Winterton out of there. He’s a right shot C who played in London last year with Cowen. Something around Samsonov+Steeves for Driedger+Winterton.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I want nothing to do with Lyubushkin. Dude wasn't even that physical when he was here. Benoit is better anyways, both from a talent and physical perspective.

If we want a bottom pairing rugged defender, go for Nick Seeler or Ferraro. Both are left handed though which sucks

We don’t want any bottom pair defenders. We need a couple of 2/3s.

Reactions: supermann_98

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If Tanev would be happy being in Toronto long term, I'd rather just sign him in the summer.
Yep, we don't need to trade any assets for a player that will likely just end up on LTIR !!!

Just google his injury history. As he ages, it's likely only going to get worse.

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Yep, we don't to trade any assets for a player that will likely just end up on LTIR !!!

Just google his injury history. As he ages, it's likely only going to get worse.
Injuries coincided with teams play styles

Possession team better tanev

Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It seams to me that Chicago is selling again this year. Last year they were willing to accept a 1st, 2nd and two minors for Mccabe (retained 50% for two additional years), Lafferty and two conditional 5th. If you review Chicago's roster, Connor Murphy is signed for two more years after this one just like Mccabe was. Do a similar deal involving Murphy retained 50% and someone else. I'm not sure how Murphy is playing to be honest but food for thought. The Leafs could use another cheap defensemen with the potential cap issues they have next year.

Maybe they get Connor Murphy retained and get them to throw in hat trick goal scorer Jason Dickinson to give us a Kampf alternative.

horner

May 22, 2007
I really wouldn't waste cap space on bottom pairing physical defensemen. That's really not the problem with the Leafs, especially when you consider very capable options already here. In theory, with a lot of cap retention, you can fit 2 in... but why splurge assets to get more of what we have?

This is why Tanev is so much more worth it now and in the short-term. He plays very tough minutes and some top end defensive minutes at a high level. Yes he's older and yes he's a UFA but Lyubushkin or Peeke or those kind of players really don't do much to what we need, which is give us quality minutes.

In the off-season there was a time where perhaps Peeke could have been acquired, or even Lyubushkin (for a 4th in August by the Ducks). But that's gone now when our cap space is incredibly limited due to other signings and the lack of cap space clearing.

If the Leafs lose out on Tanev, then I think there are other alternatives down the line that could help a bit... and that's where perhaps Lyubushkin could come
Do you thinknthis team is good enough to win a cup , I don't.

Our defense needs at least 2 top 4 dman

I would keep our 1st

3rd + Abruzzese or McMann or Steeves

L

.I would for a schenn type of dman to play with Mo

They offseason is when we will rebuild this D.

Dubas made sure we can't do anything we have no 1st next year and no 2nd rd pks for the next 2 yrs.

I would really love to keep our 1st because our scouting Department has uncovered Cowen Minten Grebyonkin.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Boosh isn't a top 4 d-man, we've seen it.

If Tanev would be happy being in Toronto long term, I'd rather just sign him in the summer.

Tanev will be 34 in less than 3 weeks… long term shouldnt be in consideration for any contract. Which means giving up assets for a band aid solution, and I’m not really into that either.

Sep 18, 2009
Boosh isn't a top 4 d-man, we've seen it.

Tanev will be 34 in less than 3 weeks… long term shouldnt be in consideration for any contract. Which means giving up assets for a band aid solution, and I’m not really into that either.
Server migration (Xenforo Cloud) is scheduled for Monday, December 4th at 12 pm GMT/UTC. We will experience up to 5 hours of downtime. The board will be active as soon as the process is complete. Thanks for the patience.
  • Who would you like to add to this D
  • Need someone good

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm through with band-aids

I've got to the point where I'd be willing to just pay the premium and go out and get a high quality top 4D who's in the correct age bracket with plenty of term left on his deal and I don't really care which side he shoots

We've seen over the years if a guys good enough he can carry a pair but we need at least one guy per pair who can carry a less than ideal partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad