Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The PP was awful imo
Pre 5-on-3, it really wasn't. The one before the goal and the one leading to the goal both went really well. We got goalied on the first one and both units got good chances.

The 5 on 3 was garbage. No urgency, no one wanting to seize the moment (except for Matheson who decides to take a clap bomb from the furthest spot you possible could on a PP and missing the net by 10 feet).

After that the wind went out of their sails.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Dvorak line is the 4th line. Only Heineman played less than them total (not at EV) and he's not on any special units. Barron also played a bit less than Dvorak, but Dvorak TOI is boosted by being on the ice during the Leafs empty net.

Couple things I notice last night. The defensive system has changed. I didnt see the man to man strategy and back to more of a zone defense and collapsing back to the net.
They started using this new setup during pre-season.

Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
People are probably going to be mad but I can see the Habs re-signing Savard on a cheap 2 year deal. Another year in the top 6 buys Reinbacher his development time and gives a sophomore Hutson that veteran security blanket, and in year 2, Savard can be the glue guy in the room eating hot dogs in the press-box and coming in on back to backs or in injury situations.
When we had these rookies coming in the mid 80s (Chelios, Svoboda, Kurvers etc), they were stabilized by vets such as Robinson and Rick Green. So yeah, I agree with you. The time for selling useful vets is past, now we need them forward.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Couple things I notice last night. The defensive system has changed. I didnt see the man to man strategy and back to more of a zone defense and collapsing back to the net.
The 5-3 was terrible. Leaving two players high (just inside the blueline) made the PP a 3 on 3 down low. Didn't make much sense. Should be an umbrella set up in my opinion.
In that setup the 2 players high won't have much pressure so they need to move dynamically, rush inside or along the boards in order to bend, break or over extend the defensive triangle. I didnt watch the game (I was coaching my son peewee team) but I guess they didnt do it.

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
It's actually a good thing our 5 on 3 looked so bad. As I've said before, we were always going to give Matheson the first go at it this year (60 pts last season, experience, etc.). But the sooner results don't show, the more likely they'll give Hutson his chance. Basically the veteran spot to lose, and he did take a good step in this direction tonight.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not bad start to the season. Only Montenbeault's second career SO, still don't see him as the long term solution in nets but if he can put up more performances like this might change my mind.

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He is being asked to play as a number one D on a pretty mediocre team... Of course the guy is going to look bad more often than not. He is still a trooper and has some very solid fundamentals. The guy would shine with lowered responsibilities.
We all know this.
There is nothing however in his resume that indicates he would shine in a lesser role.
The best we could hope for is probably the 30 point Mike Matheson we saw in Pittsburgh.
Strange they gave up on him there just like Florida did even with his reasonable cap hit.

Very solid fundamentals with very shoddy puck management and decision making creeping in periodically.
Like I said that is Matheson in a nutshell.
I'm good with it as long as he manages to stay on the right side of the ledger.

Reactions: Runner77 and Licou

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Next game against the Leafs is a month away on November 9th....then not again until mid January.Too bad we only play them 4 times this year as the games are always fun
The fun moments were few and far between. The first period-Domi dumped on his ass-and the final whistle.
Oh and Monty.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
People are probably going to be mad but I can see the Habs re-signing Savard on a cheap 2 year deal. Another year in the top 6 buys Reinbacher his development time and gives a sophomore Hutson that veteran security blanket, and in year 2, Savard can be the glue guy in the room eating hot dogs in the press-box and coming in on back to backs or in injury situations.
Nothing to get mad about.
We will rent him out and if ever there was a player who was going to resign here no matter what it's David Savard.

Reactions: Runner77

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
We've got Armia and Newhook on the 2nd line. IMO, two guys that are 3rd line players. Dach creates so much room for them.

Can't wait for Laine to return and next year, to bring over Demidov. Those two with Dach, are going to be dangerous!

This will push Newhook and Armia (if we resign him) to the third line with hopefully Kapanen or Beck.

4th line will be expensive.....Gally-Evans-Anderson are not going to hurt you as 4th line guys.

Next year:

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Demi
Newhook - Kapanen/Beck - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Heinemen/Pezz

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
First period PP was very good, and then they went back to doing nothing

the first line looked a little lost but I guess that's what happens when you waste all of pre-season getting headhunted so you can't play

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We've got Armia and Newhook on the 2nd line. IMO, two guys that are 3rd line players. Dach creates so much room for them.

Can't wait for Laine to return and next year, to bring over Demidov. Those two with Dach, are going to be dangerous!

This will push Newhook and Armia (if we resign him) to the third line with hopefully Kapanen or Beck.

4th line will be expensive.....Gally-Evans-Anderson are not going to hurt you as 4th line guys.

Next year:

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Demi
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Heinemen/Pezz
I don't know how you do it dude.
I'm looking no further than tonight and Boston...
Next Year? :dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: waitin425

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't know how you do it dude.
I'm looking no further than tonight and Boston...
Next Year? :dunno:
Always thinking.....always planning......always daydreaming....

I'm pumped for tonight! Boston looked like shite against Florida. Need a similar performance tonight.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

Next year:

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Laine - Dach - Demi
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Heinemen/Pezz
Newhook was the best player on the ice last night.

Reactions: the and waitin425

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad