Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
HF is back up. Missed you guys!

Listened to some of Elliotte's podcast today. He confirmed that the Leafs were trying to get Zadorov and Tanev but could not agree on the cost of retention (basically what he said on Saturday).

He also stated that he thinks its possible that Tanev doesn't get traded until later in the season so that his cap hit comes down. He mentioned that he didn't think it was impossible that the Leafs would be interested in Sean Walker but said that from what he has heard, the Leafs haven't looked at him to this point.

He says word around the league is that the Leafs are looking for a big, rugged RHD.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What about another McCabe/Lafferty type trade?

TOR
Scott Laughton 50% retained - $1.5M for 3 playoffs
Sean Walker

PHI
1st
3rd
Timmins
Reaves ;)

If Tanev happens:

Knies Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Laughton Domi
Gregor Kampf Jarnkrok

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - Walker
Brody-Liljegren

Laughton as the defense on the third line. Badly needed C for PK. Shut down 4th line. More O-zone starts for top 6.

The question being... after we've traded those assets to Philly, what exactly would we have left to trade for Tanev?

The other challenge, is you are over $2 mil over the cap with these moves.

The fix would be to get Philly to withhold 50% on Walker too... who is a UFA after this year... Try and move Kampf to Philly in the deal.. and sign Comtois to try him on the bottom line for league minimum. He's PPG in the AHL, and no NHL contract....

This would fit.

Knies Matthew Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Comtois Laughton Gregor

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Walker
Brodie - Liljegren

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tres been vocal about wanting to tinker with the D since his initial media tour when first hired. I'd suspect he's going to jump on the first trade opportunity he.likes
And I suspect you are correct. I don't think he's wrong in the sense that the D is the most obvious place where this team could use improvement. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of trading picks/prospects for rentals and that's what I'm afraid is going to happen.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
And I suspect you are correct. I don't think he's wrong in the sense that the D is the most obvious place where this team could use improvement. On the other hand, I don't like the idea of trading picks/prospects for rentals and that's what I'm afraid is going to happen.
While Tanev would technically be a rental, I could definitely see the Leafs and Tanev coming to an agreement on an extension. You then add one of Hanifin/Skjei in the off season, and suddenly your defense is rock solid.

Rielly- Tanev
Hanifin/Skjei-Liljegren
Lagerrson-McCabe

Reactions: arso40 and TMLAM34

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The question being... after we've traded those assets to Philly, what exactly would we have left to trade for Tanev?

The other challenge, is you are over $2 mil over the cap with these moves.

The fix would be to get Philly to withhold 50% on Walker too... who is a UFA after this year... Try and move Kampf to Philly in the deal.. and sign Comtois to try him on the bottom line for league minimum. He's PPG in the AHL, and no NHL contract....

This would fit.

Knies Matthew Nylander
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner
Robertson Domi Jarnkrok
Comtois Laughton Gregor

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Walker
Brodie - Liljegren
What about omitting Walker and Timmins?

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Brody Timmins

I think having Laughton on the 4th is a waste. If Kampf can regain his form paired with Jarnkrok I think that they would make a formidable shutdown line

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
What about omitting Walker and Timmins?

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Brody Timmins

I think having Laughton on the 4th is a waste. If Kampf can regain his form paired with Jarnkrok I think that they would make a formidable shutdown line

I get what you are saying, but I think Treliving and many of us, including myself, would like to make the D heavier and harder to play against. I think you've got to bring in someone else who can play a heavy game. Tanev is a good defender, but he's not the heavy guy at all.

If Walker is available, he should be under consideration... I'm still for taking a Peak at Peeke.... 50% retained, and maybe another 50% retained... if someone would do that... and I think it's worth the gamble... anyway, I think we need some heavy body... those are just two suggestions of guys who could be available...

Walker's good... Peeke has term... I'm sure there are others out there, who could be available.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I get what you are saying, but I think Treliving and many of us, including myself, would like to make the D heavier and harder to play against. I think you've got to bring in someone else who can play a heavy game. Tanev is a good defender, but he's not the heavy guy at all.

If Walker is available, he should be under consideration... I'm still for taking a Peak at Peeke.... 50% retained, and maybe another 50% retained... if someone would do that... and I think it's worth the gamble... anyway, I think we need some heavy body... those are just two suggestions of guys who could be available...

Walker's good... Peeke has term... I'm sure there are others out there, who could be available.
Is Walker considered heavy though? Honestly asking. He's under 6' and 200 lbs. I thought that he was more of a puck mover/ playmaker. How much of an upgrade would he be over Timmins?

I thought that CBJ fans have soured on Peeke this year. He definitely checks a lot of boxes.

Reactions: arso40

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is Walker considered heavy though? Honestly asking. He's under 6' and 200 lbs. I thought that he was more of a puck mover/ playmaker. How much of an upgrade would he be over Timmins?

I thought that CBJ fans have soured on Peeke this year. He definitely checks a lot of boxes.
Peeke hasn't played since November 11th, and only four games total this year. They have far too many RD, so they are probably going to end up giving him away.

Walker isn't big... but he uses his body.

I'd prefer someone bigger of course...

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Any opinions on Kaeden Korczak from Vegas? 6'3 RHD might be someone worth looking at if cheap. He's stuck behind a wall in Vegas.

What are the chances Adam Larsson is available. Probably be a closer to the deadline pickup when Seattle is clearly out of the playoffs.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Interesting to see Comtois putting up a point per game with the Chicago Wolves so far. Wonder if he would be someone we would take a look at if McMann/Steeves aren't ready to bump Reaves out of the lineup full time.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
Interesting to see Comtois putting up a point per game with the Chicago Wolves so far. Wonder if he would be someone we would take a look at if McMann/Steeves aren't ready to bump Reaves out of the lineup full time.

It's not a question of whether someone is ready to bump Reaves out of the lineup. It's a question of how long management wants to continue with the charade that Reaves can play NHL hockey.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I wonder if the Jackets would give up Peeke just to be out of his contract at this point.

It might be a decent time to slide Future Considerations to Columbus if Klingberg is out for the season.

I actually think he may have negative value. Spare defender making 2.5 M is not a good thing.
They should have traded him earlier. I am wary of taking him on.

Not sure the Leafs really have cap to gamble on him. He could end up being 2..5M 6th/7th D.

Reactions: nuck

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I actually think he may have negative value. Spare defender making 2.5 M is not a good thing.
They should have traded him earlier. I am wary of taking him on.

Not sure the Leafs really have cap to gamble on him. He could end up being 2..5M 6th/7th D.
He’s more of what we need I get the risk but I don’t see that risk being too bad worst case scenerio

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We have our own PPG AHL player on an AHL tryout in Keifer Bellows. Can scrap too.
As someone who has been watching the Marlies this season. Bellows has been probably their best skater since Robertson left. A nice combo of physicality and goal scoring. Whenever they get sick of McMann they'll probably sign and promote Bellows for a stint to see if he can produce. 19 points in 45 games a couple years ago.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
He’s more of what we need I get the risk but I don’t see that risk being too bad worst case scenerio
Peeke makes 2.75 M for 2 more years after this. If he doesn't play top 4 minutes it becomes a problem.
At least the other assortment of misfits being mentioned actually play.

Reactions: Buds17

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Peeke makes 2.75 M for 2 more years after this. If he doesn't play top 4 minutes it becomes a problem.
At least the other assortment of misfits being mentioned actually play.
A lot of ifs he didn’t forget how to play hoccey we need a physical right shot d he checcs the boxes if we can even trade contract for contract with reeves then we’re ok

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I think both Kampf and Acciari got fair UFA contracts given their ages and abilities. I think the Leafs would have been better off with Acciari in a 4th line role at his contract rather than Kampf with Domi at 3C. Acciari would have helped along with Lafferty to make the line tougher as a unit while maintaining a level of talent, while providing a similar offensive/defensive output.

I think there were some good pieces on last years team that just weren't properly identified by the new GM.

He did some good things. If he read the situation better coming in they wouldn't have pissed those players away and the team would actually be good.
I agree. I think the way they envisioned our 4th line to be I think Acciari fit much better than Kampf. I assume they wanted the younger guy who is a better skater I guess, but then trading away Lafferty still makes no sense really since he was someone who could play all forward positions and play anywhere in the lineup if needed. At the same time though did Acciari want to stay here and play in Canada? O'Rielly and Schenn were the main 2 I would've liked to keep but 1 didn't want to come back and the other got a much better offer somewhere else. People complain about the new contracts but the only 1 that is questionable is Reaves but it's not a hard contract to bury if we really need to.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think both Kampf and Acciari got fair UFA contracts given their ages and abilities. I think the Leafs would have been better off with Acciari in a 4th line role at his contract rather than Kampf with Domi at 3C. Acciari would have helped along with Lafferty to make the line tougher as a unit while maintaining a level of talent, while providing a similar offensive/defensive output.

I think there were some good pieces on last years team that just weren't properly identified by the new GM.

He did some good things. If he read the situation better coming in they wouldn't have pissed those players away and the team would actually be good.

I have to disagree on Kampf. I think given his limitations he is close to 500k overpaid and that is IF he was performing, which he’s not.

Reactions: supermann_98

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
While Tanev would technically be a rental, I could definitely see the Leafs and Tanev coming to an agreement on an extension. You then add one of Hanifin/Skjei in the off season, and suddenly your defense is rock solid.

Rielly- Tanev
Hanifin/Skjei-Liljegren
Lagerrson-McCabe
If Tanev would be happy being in Toronto long term, I'd rather just sign him in the summer.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Leafs have been speculated to be a potential destination for Lyubushkin. It was Lube, then Schenn, now maybe Lube again. The Leafs had to trade for each of them and they watched them walk for nothing, only to have to fill the hole again for an added fee.

If the Leafs can get Peeke with a contract for an additional 2 seasons as a contract dump to fill the hole. It saves from having to trade a 2nd or 3rd every deadline for the same exact player. An extra physical RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad