Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He's a good player no doubt. Would immediately be out into our top pairing with Reilly. But the short term patch jobs do factor in. I do think Tre would probably extend him multi year.

Big question would be what does re-signing cost. If they offer two/three years? What's the cap. Would local guy just want to retire here ala Gio?

Thing with Tanev is his defensive ability is that good it's hard to find and the Leafs don't seem to have anyone in the system that projects to be that type/quality. So where do you find it? And does having him be that bridge for the team so they can find it make sense given their aspirations (even if they aren't cup bound this year they'll surely want to be the next year).

That's why I think if they can utilize the Klingberg salary space creatively they really could benefit.
UFA's tend to get overpaid, he'll be 34 in a couple of weeks, he's had issues staying healthy in the past as well, the risk/reward ratio doesn't look to be in our favor.

Potentially, which is why it’s not terrible if we do acquire him. But if the price includes a 1st or anything substantial, I’d be out.
I'd be shocked if the price was less than a 1st. Like I'd say the odds of that being the case is a 100-1 shot, maybe worse than that.
To Toronto: Chris Tanev
To Calgary: Nick Abruzzese + Mikko Kokkonen + 3rd Rounder

I can see something like that happening as long as Calgary doesn’t need to retain any salary, if they need to retain then the prices goes up.
I think you're underestimating what Calgary will want for Tanev by a lot.

Reactions: Evilhomer
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Apparently he has been brutal.
People are saying he isn’t even in their top 10 skaters in terms of play right now

Dunno how true. Just know that’s what was said

Probably an overreaction to a 22 year old struggling lately. That's not stopping Bednar from playing him 20+ minutes a night, so they trust him enough to get through it.

I think he could get traded for a good 2C if he prices himself out on his next deal, but I don't see him going anywhere.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
When Liljegren comes back, we only have just enough cap space for a 20 player roster with Benoit and Lagesson waived, and they are not likely clearing this time around with how well they've played. If a player goes day to day, we are screwed since we won't be able to call-up anyone right away.

Flexibility is very important and while Tanev is really good, I think it's important not to completely destroyed your depth. This is why they wanted retention on Zadorov, this is why they'll want it for Tanev.

So let's say we get about ~1M retained on Tanev and make the Vladar for Samsonov swap, the Leafs give themselves enough cap space to run a 22 player roster comfortably or 23 player roster really tight.

EDIT: Quick edit, capfriendly screwed me with Jones being up.

I think with Zadorov going and not having any retention, Calgary can now retain on all 3 of Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin. They should definitely do it to maximize the return.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
UFA's tend to get overpaid, he'll be 34 in a couple of weeks, he's had issues staying healthy in the past as well, the risk/reward ratio doesn't look to be in our favor.

I'd be shocked if the price was less than a 1st. Like I'd say the odds of that being the case is a 100-1 shot, maybe worse than that.

If the price is a 1st, then we need to move on and look elsewhere.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think with Zadorov going and not having any retention, Calgary can now retain on all 3 of Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin. They should definitely do it to maximize the return.
I'd be asking about Hanifin for sure. No interest in him as a rental but if he'd be interested in staying in Toronto and we can negotiate an extension with him, that's another story.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

He won't go for a 1st, but interest does seem higher for him. Maybe it's a conditional 1st, who knows. Zadorov was pretty much given away. I'd expect Tanev to be in the 2nd + prospect range of value.

Reactions: TMLAM34

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be asking about Hanifin for sure. No interest in him as a rental but if he'd be interested in staying in Toronto and we can negotiate an extension with him, that's another story.

The age is right and maybe we're the exception for the Canadian thing, McCabe waived to play in Toronto after reportedly no interest in Canadian teams.

I like Hanifin's speed and ability to transport the puck, I just don't know how good he is at any one particular thing. I think they were talking contract around 7M per for Hanifin in Calgary before things broke off. I don't think he's that good.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He won't go for a 1st, but interest does seem higher for him. Maybe it's a conditional 1st, who knows. Zadorov was pretty much given away. I'd expect Tanev to be in the 2nd + prospect range of value.
I say Calgary gets at least a 1st for him, I guess we'll see.

The age is right and maybe we're the exception for the Canadian thing, McCabe waived to play in Toronto after reportedly no interest in Canadian teams.

I like Hanifin's speed and ability to transport the puck, I just don't know how good he is at any one particular thing. I think they were talking contract around 7M per for Hanifin in Calgary before things broke off. I don't think he's that good.
Maybe you're right, I don't know him that well. I just know that we're in desperate need of help on the blue line. And I don't mean so much this season, I'm a lot more worried about 2-3 years down the road.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

7.5 million per. I’d give him that.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Not what they want but what they will get.. i mean holes are popping up all over the place on good teams.. hamilton being the most recent

Chief Leaf

Dec 10, 2009
Fire Keefe
Hire Gallant
Surround the team with some players that do not mind playing the boards or using physical contact to the opposition.

Nylander
Samsonov
McMann
Timmins
2024 1st
2024 6th

to Ducks for:
Gibson
Jones
Leason
Lybushkin
2024 2nd

Then:
2024 2nd (ducks)
2025 6th round
Brodie
Topi
Lagesson
Robertson

To Blues for:

Parayko
Bortuzzo

Knies- Matthews - Marner
Bertuzzi - JT - Jarnkrock
Max Jones - Domi - Leason
Gregor - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly -Parayko
Mcabe - Lybushkin/Liljgren
Benoit/Gio - Bortuzzo

Jones
Woll

edited to add benoit

Last edited:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The term is dicey but man I would love Mackenzie Weegar, he's an elite, top-pair, all-around defenseman signed at 6.25 million

Weegar - Brodie
Rielly - Liljergen
Giordano - McCabe

Suddenly you have a bit more mobility from the back end combined with the elite defensive results that Weegar produces

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The term is dicey but man I would love Mackenzie Weegar, he's an elite, top-pair, all-around defenseman signed at 6.25 million

Weegar - Brodie
Rielly - Liljergen
Giordano - McCabe

Suddenly you have a bit more mobility from the back end combined with the elite defensive results that Weegar produces

He's not the fleetest of foot, I noticed he's incredibly easy to forecheck on as well. I actually think as a right shot playing the left side, it's screwing him. Kind of like Phaneuf actually playing his off-side while not being incredibly mobile.

I think if you did get Weegar, you need to get him onto RD, it wouldn't be hard either with what you have there.

Rielly-Weegar
McCabe-Brodie
X-Liljegren

I think the goal should be to improve upon Gio, as much as I love him, he's 40. Seeler on the Flyers is a prime target, he's like dollarama Luke Schenn.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
More of an off-season move but Warren Foegele will be a UFA this summer. GTA native, very physical and definitely going to be taking a paycut from his current 2.75 million dollar deal. I think you move on from Kampf as well and build a fourth line with Foegele and Minten on it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Weegar - Brodie
Rielly - Liljergen
Giordano - McCabe

He would easily be the main target but it's just too much cap space to add in-season. How do you balance it? They're not gonna retain on that long-term deal either. When Liljegren is back, we have about 4M in cap space with a 21 man roster.

Adding Timmins to the deal makes it close to possible but it needs more.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I agree that Tanev should end up bringing back a first for Calgary, especially if they retain on any portion of his contract.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Benoit and laggesson looked good and used their size.
Once gio and Lilly come back we have by far the softest d in the league

Gio lilly
Reilly Brodie
Macabe timmins

There is not one player capable of knocking someone down in the front of the net

Just watch last nights game every time the leafs went to the net they were knocked on their ass

The bruins on numerous occasions went to our net and were able to hack and whack at loose pucks with no pushback.

We need at least two bi crease clearing dmen.

All the good teams have those big crease clearing dmen

Boston has
Carlo 6-5 217
For Bert 6-4 214
Lindholm 6-4 224

Tampa has
Cernak 6-3 230
Fleury 6-4 207
Hedman 6-7 246
Sergechev 6-3 211

Vegas
Hague 6-6 240
Hutton 6-3 210
Mcnabb 6-4 215
Pietrangelo 6-3 215
Theodore 6-2 210
Martinez 6-1 210

That’s the defense good teams have
We don’t have that

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Benoit and laggesson looked good and used their size.
Once gio and Lilly come back we have by far the softest d in the league

Gio lilly
Reilly Brodie
Macabe timmins

There is not one player capable of knocking someone down in the front of the net

Just watch last nights game every time the leafs went to the net they were knocked on their ass

The bruins on numerous occasions went to our net and were able to hack and whack at loose pucks with no pushback.

We need at least two bi crease clearing dmen.

All the good teams have those big crease clearing dmen

Boston has
Carlo 6-5 217
For Bert 6-4 214
Lindholm 6-4 224

Tampa has
Cernak 6-3 230
Fleury 6-4 207
Hedman 6-7 246
Sergechev 6-3 211

Vegas
Hague 6-6 240
Hutton 6-3 210
Mcnabb 6-4 215
Pietrangelo 6-3 215
Theodore 6-2 210
Martinez 6-1 210

That’s the defense good teams have
We don’t have that

What kind of gives me some hope on the blueline is if Lagesson and Benoit continue to get reps and you start trusting them as bottom pairing, full time, real NHL defense options, you've suddenly got a pretty good shape to the bottom pair.

Add in a Tanev or Murphy and you've got 3 big bodies, with a combine that with McCabe, that's starting to be a good blend. And of course if we could just invest in a top pairing 6'4" workhorse do everything guy in the Muzzin mould, everything will slot into place. If Liljegren goes out the door for that big investment piece, it will push out more of the mid size D.

Reactions: rumman

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What kind of gives me some hope on the blueline is if Lagesson and Benoit continue to get reps and you start trusting them as bottom pairing, full time, real NHL defense options, you've suddenly got a pretty good shape to the bottom pair.

Add in a Tanev or Murphy and you've got 3 big bodies, with a combine that with McCabe, that's starting to be a good blend. And of course if we could just invest in a top pairing 6'4" workhorse do everything guy in the Muzzin mould, everything will slot into place. If Liljegren goes out the door for that big investment piece, it will push out more of the mid size D.
I really hope we don't trade Liljegren, him being our only really good young Dman.
One would assume that a trade is imminent
I sure hope not. But that's probably because I have a strong feeling that whatever trade we make is going to be pretty bad. I say that based on what Friedman said last night - trading away the future for a couple of rentals is a desperation move and is likely to hurt us in the long run.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If we’re trading a 1st, I’d rather go after Murphy over Tanev. When everyone is healthy, I’d run

Rielly - Murphy
McCabe - Liljegren
Lagesson - Brodie
Giordano

In the off-season, assuming Hanifin hits the market, sign Hanifin and run

Rielly - Murphy
Hanifin - Liljegren
McCabe - Lagesson
Timmins

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
We should really start separating offense and puck movement out of our zone. I don’t know that we need a PP quarterback that can walk the blueline with really cool headfakes or whatever if he can’t win puck battles in our end and make a consistent first pass or skate it out. Prime Brodie would be enough and he doesn’t really do anything in the offensive zone, a healthy Klingberg doesn’t really move the needle even if he’s realgud at walking the line and headfaking.

I wouldn’t mind a fast-and-low Franson-type shot from the point that gets through bodies and creates rebounds but that’s after we sort out having a clockwork puck retrieval + first pass guy on every pair.
It's a good point, I view it as kind of the same. Transition feeds the offence, particularly 5v5. But unless you run a PP with five forwards, getting someone who can help with both would be a priority for me anyway.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If he goes out the door in a package for any kind of defensive upgrade from the 2015-2018 drafts and we aren't taking a haircut on youth and upside, I think it's acceptable.
Tim is a tough one. I keep waiting for the breakout where it's clear that he's a top4 player, but he can't quite get there or stay there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad