Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Byram would be one heck of a get. Doubt it happens but what do some people here think it would cost to acquire him?

Off the top of my head the Avs biggest talking points have been a 2C ever since Kadri left. No idea how Johansen has played for them lately. Not sure if they would be replacing Landeskog permanently either, but we probably don't have the pieces to do that.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Wish we could acquire Cisikas from the Islanders to be our 3/4C. The guy is making less than 3M a year, loves to hit, and has been a positive on faceoffs. Much better fit than Kampf.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Lol what's this Byram talk? There's no way the Avs would trade him. He is part of the present and future on D
Yeah, our only chance to acquire Byram would have been this past off-season when Colorado would have had at least a full year of Nylander under contract. Ship has sailed though.

Reactions: ToneDog

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Klingberg being out for the season is really the tipping point for being able to make deals or not at this point in the season.

If they do open up his 4m that could be a huge asset come deadline time. The Leafs could be dealers and brokers for other teams cap problems if needed (adding assets while moving for others to improve now). Cap gridlock across the league puts those with cap space in a valuable position (as long as it doesn't prevent them from other moves).

Granted I don't think Tre is going to wait that long or be that creative. Think he does something like Tanev as soon as he can.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We should really start separating offense and puck movement out of our zone. I don’t know that we need a PP quarterback that can walk the blueline with really cool headfakes or whatever if he can’t win puck battles in our end and make a consistent first pass or skate it out. Prime Brodie would be enough and he doesn’t really do anything in the offensive zone, a healthy Klingberg doesn’t really move the needle even if he’s realgud at walking the line and headfaking.

I wouldn’t mind a fast-and-low Franson-type shot from the point that gets through bodies and creates rebounds but that’s after we sort out having a clockwork puck retrieval + first pass guy on every pair.
I believe we had the 2nd best PP in the league last season so I'd say our PP should be fine as it is.

Klingberg being out for the season is really the tipping point for being able to make deals or not at this point in the season.

If they do open up his 4m that could be a huge asset come deadline time. The Leafs could be dealers and brokers for other teams cap problems if needed (adding assets while moving for others to improve now). Cap gridlock across the league puts those with cap space in a valuable position (as long as it doesn't prevent them from other moves).

Granted I don't think Tre is going to wait that long or be that creative. Think he does something like Tanev as soon as he can.
Not sure I like the idea of Tanev, in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. Sure he'll help in the short term but he's a rental, he's also almost 34 years old so not really interested in extending him either and since I'm pretty sure winning the cup this year is a pipe dream, I'd rather hang on to out top picks and prospects.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Team reflects well in the standings yet it feels like their game is stuck in neutral all season.

Basically spinning wheels until the trade deadline once some cap space opens up to make additions.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I believe we had the 2nd best PP in the league last season so I'd say our PP should be fine as it is.

Not sure I like the idea of Tanev, in fact I'm pretty sure I don't. Sure he'll help in the short term but he's a rental, he's also almost 34 years old so not really interested in extending him either and since I'm pretty sure winning the cup this year is a pipe dream, I'd rather hang on to out top picks and prospects.
Agreed. Tanev isn’t a bad addition, in fact he’s the type of player we actually need. But given his age and injury history, I wouldn’t give up anything significant in terms of assets. This addition would only be a short term fix.

I’d prefer the Leafs go after someone with multiple years remaining on their contract who can slot next to Rielly for years to come. This constant revolving door of players I’m sure doesn’t make it any easier on anyone.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

You'd have to think Tanev would be pretty sought after commodity by a lot of contending teams. If I'm Jersey, I jump all over the chance to get Tanev, especially with all of Hamilton's money now available.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed. Tanev isn’t a bad addition, in fact he’s the type of player we actually need. But given his age and injury history, I wouldn’t give up anything significant in terms of assets. This addition would only be a short term fix.

I’d prefer the Leafs go after someone with multiple years remaining on their contract who can slot next to Rielly for years to come. This constant revolving door of players I’m sure doesn’t make it any easier on anyone.
Exactly. Agree 100% with all this.
You'd have to think Tanev would be pretty sought after commodity by a lot of contending teams. If I'm Jersey, I jump all over the chance to get Tanev, especially with all of Hamilton's money now available.
For sure, most contending teams do love their rentals so I imagine Calgary will get a 1st for Tanev.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

You're not wrong here. We've been saying this for how many years now? It's frustrating this still hasn't been addressed.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

He's a good player no doubt. Would immediately be out into our top pairing with Reilly. But the short term patch jobs do factor in. I do think Tre would probably extend him multi year.

Big question would be what does re-signing cost. If they offer two/three years? What's the cap. Would local guy just want to retire here ala Gio?

Thing with Tanev is his defensive ability is that good it's hard to find and the Leafs don't seem to have anyone in the system that projects to be that type/quality. So where do you find it? And does having him be that bridge for the team so they can find it make sense given their aspirations (even if they aren't cup bound this year they'll surely want to be the next year).

That's why I think if they can utilize the Klingberg salary space creatively they really could benefit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Tanev is good and doesn't play a punishing brand of hockey, he could likely play until 36 without issue.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Potentially, which is why it’s not terrible if we do acquire him. But if the price includes a 1st or anything substantial, I’d be out.

I'd be willing to do lesser assets.

3rd+5th+7th or something, maybe include Timmins although Timmins actually looked a lot better last night, rust is coming off.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol what's this Byram talk? There's no way the Avs would trade him. He is part of the present and future on D

Apparently he has been brutal.
People are saying he isn’t even in their top 10 skaters in terms of play right now

Dunno how true. Just know that’s what was said

That’s a reputation call. Brodie has been wearing down lately and the mistakes in his game are creeping up and up. Focus doesn’t seem to be there. Vulnerable to leaking pucks when he has to absorb contact. It’s like replacing your tires before the treads wear out. Said the same of Muzzin the summer before he was LTIRed.

Again his father just died. It can take a long time.

Larson had to leave edmonton

Reactions: uncleben

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Apparently he has been brutal.
People are saying he isn’t even in their top 10 skaters in terms of play right now

Dunno how true. Just know that’s what was said

Again his father just died. It can take a long time.

Larson had to leave edmonton

I don't know how true this is but someone said Brodie's wife had MS and she was having problems around playoff time last year, might not have been 100% with us mentally, which hey, I understand, that's your wife.

Reactions: Rude Dog

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I'd be willing to do lesser assets.

3rd+5th+7th or something, maybe include Timmins although Timmins actually looked a lot better last night, rust is coming off.
To Toronto: Chris Tanev
To Calgary: Nick Abruzzese + Mikko Kokkonen + 3rd Rounder

I can see something like that happening as long as Calgary doesn’t need to retain any salary, if they need to retain then the prices goes up.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Will be interesting to see if there's any additional information on what Perry did in Chicago, whether the Perry camp will attempt to rehabilitate his reputation and get him back on the ice.

In terms of bottom 6 options, I'd be interested in Garnett Hathaway, maybe grab Pierre-Edouard Bellemare cheaply. My shopping list might look like Hathaway, Bellemare, Jake Middleton, Adam Larsson, Chris Tanev, Noah Hanifin, Connor Murphy. Maybe a cheap scorer too.
Nice list
I wonder if they could acquire Byram from Colorado. He seems to be on the outs there, but even with his injury history he would be an interesting addition.
Why would he be on the outs?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
To Toronto: Chris Tanev
To Calgary: Nick Abruzzese + Mikko Kokkonen + 3rd Rounder

I can see something like that happening as long as Calgary doesn’t need to retain any salary, if they need to retain then the prices goes up.

Not enough cap going to Calgary to make this happen. This is why the Zadorov deal fell through and I think this is where it will get dicey with the Tanev one. The Leafs need a lot of retention or cap going the other way to make it work.

Maybe you trade Timmins for him to go to a team that will play him. Another way this could happen is if the Leafs dump Samsonov for Vladar in the trade, which is around 1.3M in cap savings.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know how true this is but someone said Brodie's wife had MS and she was having problems around playoff time last year, might not have been 100% with us mentally, which hey, I understand, that's your wife.

She definitely has MS. That is public and known. There are news articles on it

I don’t know About current symptoms

Not enough cap going to Calgary to make this happen. This is why the Zadorov deal fell through and I think this is where it will get dicey with the Tanev one. The Leafs need a lot of retention or cap going the other way to make it work.

Maybe you trade Timmins for him to go to a team that will play him. Another way this could happen is if the Leafs dump Samsonov for Vladar in the trade, which is around 1.3M in cap savings.

Why? If klingberg is LTIR for ever then we basically have the space

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
She definitely has MS. That is public and known. There are news articles on it

I don’t know About current symptoms

Why? If klingberg is LTIR for ever then we basically have the space

When Liljegren comes back, we only have just enough cap space for a 20 player roster with Benoit and Lagesson waived, and they are not likely clearing this time around with how well they've played. If a player goes day to day, we are screwed since we won't be able to call-up anyone right away.

Flexibility is very important and while Tanev is really good, I think it's important not to completely destroy your depth. This is why they wanted retention on Zadorov, this is why they'll want it for Tanev.

So let's say we get about ~1M retained on Tanev and make the Vladar for Samsonov swap, the Leafs give themselves enough cap space to run a 22 player roster comfortably or 23 player roster really tight.

EDIT: Quick edit, capfriendly screwed me with Jones being up.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Samsonov contract was arbitration. Are we allowed to trade him? I could be mistaken, but I thought there were rules around this stuff

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Samsonov contract was arbitration. Are we allowed to trade him? I could be mistaken, but I thought there were rules around this stuff

Nope. No restrictions to trade him as far as I know.

From Mouser:

There are no restrictions on trading arbitration players before or after the arbitration.

Some semi-related restrictions that do exist:
- Teams matching an offer sheet can't trade that player for a calendar year.
- When a team trades away a player while retaining salary that team cannot reacquire that player for a calendar year.
- A team cannot acquire a player with another team retaining salary if that player was on the acquiring team's Reserve List within the past calendar year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad