Are the 2024-2025 Edmonton Oilers the biggest preseason cup favourites of all time?

Green

Nov 13, 2019
I see them degressing from last year and I will bet Hyman is off of Mcdavids line by December and he ends the year with like 20 goals

• Haha
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Crow

May 19, 2014
Of all time? Have to think several past habs teams in a comparatively tiny league would be far more favored.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
I see them degressing from last year and I will bet Hyman is off of Mcdavids line by December and he ends the year with like 20 goals

Some concerns and why they should not be heavily favored:

They lost significant speed with the departures of Foegele, McLeod, Holloway and Broberg

They are one of the older team in the league. Foot speed will be a significant issue

Jeff Skinner, was bought out for a reason and his preseason play and demotion to third line for opening night, does not inspire confidence. I believe his best days are behind him.

Draisaitl will likely regress

Dismal showing in preseason

Everyone is aging on this team. Kulak, Nuge, Nurse, Ekholm, Hyman, will all likely regress, possibly a steep drop off. This is evidence based for most players in their 30s.

Kulak-Stecher/Dermott pairing will be liability.

Oilers power play has regressed since their historic season 2 years ago. It will continue to recess. It will still be elite, but it won't be enough to lean on for wins.

Stuart Skinner is not reliable.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Some concerns and why they should not be heavily favored:

They lost significant speed with the departures of Foegele, McLeod, Holloway and Broberg

They are one of the older team in the league. Foot speed will be a significant issue

Jeff Skinner, was bought out for a reason and his preseason play and demotion to third line for opening night, does not inspire confidence. I believe his best days are behind him.

Draisaitl will likely regress

Dismal showing in preseason

Everyone is aging on this team. Kulak, Nuge, Nurse, Ekholm, Hyman, will all likely regress, possibly a steep drop off. This is evidence based for most players in their 30s.

Kulak-Stecher/Dermott pairing will be liability.

Oilers power play has regressed since their historic season 2 years ago. It will continue to recess. It will still be elite, but it won't be enough to lean on for wins.

Stuart Skinner is not reliable.
Yeah, I don't really see why anyone would have them as favorites at all. The defense still sucks. The goalie is w/e.

It took absolute godly performances from McDavid and Draisaitl (and Bouchard) to get them even through the second round, let alone the final. Some stuff has changed, and they are still the truly elite players, but to count on performances like that again, when it wasn't enough the first time is nonsense.

Reactions: RestlessYoungZero

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm sure they will come out strong and dominate the Blackhawks, Flames, and Flyers in the next three games.

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Well that is why we have a thing called the playoffs, so that two teams can go head to head in a long series.

Oettenger hasn't done anything in this league to be given superstar treatment, Skinner destroyed him head to head in that series, sorry if you don't like the numbers but that is how it went down.
How did Skinner play last night? I take Otter all day any day bud.

Also, anybody who watched Arizona last year can tell you that Stecher / Dermott will be a train wreck haha.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Yeah, I don't really see why anyone would have them as favorites at all. The defense still sucks. The goalie is w/e.

It took absolute godly performances from McDavid and Draisaitl (and Bouchard) to get them even through the second round, let alone the final. Some stuff has changed, and they are still the truly elite players, but to count on performances like that again, when it wasn't enough the first time is nonsense.
No one including the Oilers expect the roster to be the same entering the playoffs as it is now. They have made a series of transactions this offseason specifically to maximize cap space at the deadline for the purpose of upgrading the team. Also McDavid, Drasaitl, and Bouchard have had great playoff performances for multiple seasons now, not just last year. There is no reason to believe they won't play great in the playoffs again this season.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
They will be good cause Kane + an upgrade on defense should help the group.

Should probably inject some speed into their depth too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad