Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brodue is still our best defensive defenseman who's currently playing with Rielly who's having arguably the best season of his career

Now we have the assets for two top pair guys? Seems reasonable

That’s a reputation call. Brodie has been wearing down lately and the mistakes in his game are creeping up and up. Focus doesn’t seem to be there. Vulnerable to leaking pucks when he has to absorb contact. It’s like replacing your tires before the treads wear out. Said the same of Muzzin the summer before he was LTIRed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
That’s a reputation call. Brodie has been wearing down lately and the mistakes in his game are creeping up and up. Focus doesn’t seem to be there. Vulnerable to leaking pucks when he has to absorb contact.

It’s not. I mean, yes the last few years he has been the best defensively on our backend, but it also just so happens that he still is. Not sure why this is being debated, the rest of our D aren’t exactly defensive stalwarts. Yes, Brodie is making some mistakes, so is everyone else. He’s still the defensive anchor on rignt now, by far, our best pairing.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s not. I mean, yes the last few years he has been the best defensively on our backend, but it also just so happens that he still is. Not sure why this is being debated, the rest of our D aren’t exactly defensive stalwarts. Yes, Brodie is making some mistakes, so is everyone else. He’s still the defensive anchor on rignt now, by far, our best pairing.
Sometimes i wonder if players reputations eat them up here, especially D. When guys like Brodie and Muzzin come here fresh its a change for basically all fans. Then once they settle, you see all D make mistakes and it generally gets worse as players age out of their prime, even if theyre still very good at it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
My two cents:

Best overall d-man: Rielly (the gap offensively is easily bigger than the gap defensively)
Best defensive d-man: Brodie (I can respect that it doesn't always look pleasing to the eye).

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
My two cents:

Best overall d-man: Rielly (the gap offensively is easily bigger than the gap defensively)
Best defensive d-man: Brodie (I can respect that it doesn't always look pleasing to the eye).
I can respect an opinion opposite of mine but there’s no defensive gap in favour of Brodie rielly has been making him look good look at the time on ice with out rielly I can tell you in just the last 5 games it’s been horrible Brodie can get by here and there without rielly but make no mistake this isn’t the same Brodie you put beside anyone to stabilize them he made timmins look good last year he can’t this year he made mccabe look like muzzin lite he can’t do that this year either

Reactions: Buds17

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
My two cents:

This is exactly how it is.

And yes, Brodie is trending downwards but he’s still our best defensive defenceman.

Reactions: Buds17

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I think Jacob Middleton would be a very solid player to target along with Chris Tanev.

Those two further add toughness on the back end and we need that.

Reactions: arso40

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
How was Corey Perry minus 28 on the Tampa Bay Lightning last year?

His track record looks pretty good as a bottom-6 option the last few years. Grit and lots of experience. But, that stood out. Perhaps, just being used too high in the lineup. He should maybe be on the 4th line, like Spezza used to do.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I know he’s injured, but I wonder what it would take for McBain. Aside from our blueline needing help, 3C is just as important to address IMO.

Hayton would be another option.

Last edited:

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Focus on grit only if skill is good first. Get the xGF up for zeke before touch sandpaper players.

Only way to do that is top 4 mobile defenceman that can make a pass. Puck moves around like grenade and it mostly because of backend

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
I think we make a trade this week
We don’t play again after tonight until Thursday
I think we are getting Tanev and lubushkin

horner

May 22, 2007
Lyubushkin Ana D is a UFA
Anaheim retains 1 mil for a 5th + McMann

I liked him when he played for us 2.75 mil is to high for him

2 mil
Still young for a defenceman

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know he’s injured, but I wonder what it would take for McBain. Aside from our blueline needing help, 3C is just as important to address IMO.

Hayton would be another option.
McBain is a guy the Leafs should have been all over when it was getting close to him being a UFA. He ultimately didn't make it there and the Yotes paid draft capital to get him early but I wonder if the Leafs even showed interest.

If the Perry situation comes to light and it isn't as bad as initial reports, I would love to add him. Wish they added him 4 years ago. He was still very effective with Chicago this year, would be free in terms of assets, and is exactly what this team needs in the bottom 6. We should know more than anyone how effective he still is in the playoffs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Brodie is not still our best defensive defencemen not even close rielly is head and shoulders above Brodie he should not be anywhere near your top pair

Rielly is an offensive defenseman, he isn't close to being our best defensive defenseman

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
McBain is a guy the Leafs should have been all over when it was getting close to him being a UFA. He ultimately didn't make it there and the Yotes paid draft capital to get him early but I wonder if the Leafs even showed interest.

If the Perry situation comes to light and it isn't as bad as initial reports, I would love to add him. Wish they added him 4 years ago. He was still very effective with Chicago this year, would be free in terms of assets, and is exactly what this team needs in the bottom 6. We should know more than anyone how effective he still is in the playoffs.
Perry would definitely be an upgrade over Reaves and even McMann. Sign me up.

Reactions: LeafChief

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
That’s a reputation call. Brodie has been wearing down lately and the mistakes in his game are creeping up and up. Focus doesn’t seem to be there. Vulnerable to leaking pucks when he has to absorb contact. It’s like replacing your tires before the treads wear out. Said the same of Muzzin the summer before he was LTIRed.

Of course he's wearing out, he's currently the only trustworthy defensive defenseman on the entire team

He's on the 1st PK unit, he's playing top pair and doing the dirty work so Rielly can roam

Any other player would have folded completely at this point

Reactions: LeafChief
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad