Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Apparently we’re going hard after Tanev now.

When are we actually going to address our defense with some sort of priority for younger players with skill and potential? Tanev will help but this defense has been a patchwork quilt for awhile now.

That Tavares contract can’t end soon enough. Hopefully at that point we’ll target defenders who aren’t on the brink of permanent LTIR/retirement. Guys like Tanev are not going to propel us to that next level and are just going to cost assets to replace again a year or two from their acquisition.
We have absolutely nothing to trade for defensemen with skill and potential. You can add up all of your Steeves, Abruzzese, McCann, Niemela, you're not getting what you want.

We can either draft for them, which we refuse to do, or try to buy them in the UFA market.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Can we please sign Corey Perry [MOD]? I hate him, he's old, drunk and washed up leaf killer... but he's a man compared to our boys, I'll give him that

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: arso40

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We have absolutely nothing to trade for defensemen with skill and potential. You can add up all of your Steeves, Abruzzese, McCann, Niemela, you're not getting what you want.

We can either draft for them, which we refuse to do, or try to buy them in the UFA market.

A kid like Braden Schneider or Kaiden Guhle would fill a big organizational gap right about now. Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of the Amirov pick with his Kucherov-billing in 2020, but you can kind of see how when this organization has a 50/50 opportunity they tend to favor forwards and those decisions add up over the years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Another big defenseman on a struggling Western Conference team for your consideration, Jake Middleton out of Minnesota. $2.45 million and signed through next year. 27 years old. 6'3" Ontario guy. LHD.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
4.67 after Gio goes to LTIR.

That would work... but when everyone is healthy, it might get dicey. Not sure the Leafs will want to waive Lagesson and Benoit again either.

I wonder if the Leafs are willing to flip Timmins. This would be the easiest thing to do. His value would be pretty good considering he's signed for another year at a good AAV. If they don't plan on playing him, I don't think he should be siting out for long periods of time like he did last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocker13 and arso40

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
That would work... but when everyone is healthy, it might get dicey. Not sure the Leafs will want to waive Lagesson and Benoit again either.
Assuming they brought in Tanev at his full cap hit they'd have to waive all of Timmins, Lagesson, Benoit and one of McMann and Reaves when Liljegren and Gio come back and run a 20 man roster. If they were to include Timmins in the deal to Calgary and bring back one of Duehr or Ruzicka they could run a 21 man roster (with Duehr or Ruzicka as regulars) with one of McMann or Lagesson as the one extra and Reaves in the minors.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Another big defenseman on a struggling Western Conference team for your consideration, Jake Middleton out of Minnesota. $2.45 million and signed through next year. 27 years old. 6'3" Ontario guy. LHD.
lol Minnesota isn’t trading him. They are trying to get into the playoffs. Minnesota isn’t a team that ever rebuilds or reloads! Toronto has nothing to offer Minnesota. Minnesota traded for him to protect spurgeon

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
lol Minnesota isn’t trading him. They are trying to get into the playoffs. Minnesota isn’t a team that ever rebuilds or reloads! Toronto has nothing to offer Minnesota. Minnesota traded for him to protect spurgeon

Yeah I'm sure Minnesota has a lot of plans, but they're 4 points up on the San Jose Sharks.

Reactions: rumman

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
We simply got good too fast with Matthews, Nylander & Marner exceling the rebuild. We needed another year or two of bottoming out for these defenseman to be on our roster imo.
I don't think it's going to happen with our current coach. Keefe seems to prefer the Detroit method of burying prospects in the minors until they hit 23-25... Hilariously, Detroit seems to have moved away from that.

It’s been explained already. Flames didn’t want to retain. That’s it
Yep, the Leafs apparently did offer the same thing Vancouver did, but they needed Calgary to retain 50% and Vancouver didn't. And to be honest, that tells you how likely it is that the Leafs can get Tanev... Same thing, they'll probably lose to a team that can absorb his entire cap hit.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
Yeah I'm sure Minnesota has a lot of plans, but they're 4 points up on the San Jose Sharks.
Doesn’t really matter. They have a mandate to make playoffs every year under the ownership and bill guerin which is why a new coach was hired! lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think it's going to happen with our current coach. Keefe seems to prefer the Detroit method of burying prospects in the minors until they hit 23-25... Hilariously, Detroit seems to have moved away from that.

Yep, the Leafs apparently did offer the same thing Vancouver did, but they needed Calgary to retain 50% and Vancouver didn't. And to be honest, that tells you how likely it is that the Leafs can get Tanev... Same thing, they'll probably lose to a team that can absorb his entire cap hit.

Think the Leafs would be more willing take on the Tanev cap hit than Zadorov. Since Zadorov would block them from getting a player like Tanev.

I also wouldn't mind a more creative addition/subtraction on the blueline, like shift out Brodie to another playoff team, get a different defensive piece in a 3 way deal.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Think the Leafs would be more willing take on the Tanev cap hit than Zadorov. Since Zadorov would block them from getting a player like Tanev.

I also wouldn't mind a more creative addition/subtraction on the blueline, like shift out Brodie to another playoff team, get a different defensive piece in a 3 way deal.

You don't trade your best defensive defenseman who's playing on your top pair to create room

We need to add to Rielly Brodie McCabe and Liljegren, preferably with somebody who can drive a 2nd pair

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
You don't trade your best defensive defenseman who's playing on your top pair to create room

We need to add to Rielly Brodie McCabe and Liljegren, preferably with somebody who can drive a 2nd pair
Agreed. I think Tanev could be too fairing because of the potential fit with Rielly. If that works and we get healthy we look much deeper and more balanced.

Rielly Tanev
McCabe Liljegren
Giordano Brodie
Lagesson Benoit
Timmins

That's not bad.

Reactions: Rocker13

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
One thing I really liked about last years team was a focus on defensive ability in their additions. I like the addition of Tanev because it puts a defensively competent player at each position on defense. Klingberg was the biggest liability defensively. Tanev would be their strongest defensive defender and would boost the PK. No matter which of the top 6 defenders they put out there they should have strong defensive results. With 2 good goalies in net and a strong defensive group of defenseman it looks safe on paper. The core just has to show up and provide an adequate amount of offensive support.

Reactions: Dragao6

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Brodie is getting worse and worse and needs to be replaced in the top 4. So if you can root out all his money, in conjunction with getting a top pair guy it would be an upgrade from the very top. That's kind of a separate thing than Tanev, whom we would have money for from the Klingberg LTIR.

Reactions: LeafSteel

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Chris-Tanev-Flames-trade-rumors.jpg

On Friday’s edition of 32 Thoughts, Elliotte Friedman offered an interesting take on the Toronto Maple Leafs hunt for a defenseman. Having missed out on Nikita Zadorov, the Leafs are left to look at other options. One of those options might be for the other half of the twosome GM Brad Treliving was trying to acquire — Chris Tanev. Only, Friedman suggests this won’t be trade for a rental. He believes if the Maple Leafs pursue this, it could be a trade-and-sign situation.

Friedman isn’t convinced the Maple Leafs think this is the season to go all-in on a deadline rental. He explains:

“Toronto is down three defencemen: Mark Giordano (injured Tuesday, length of time to be determined), John Klingberg (could be rest of the season) and Timothy Liljegren (already out three weeks). As they consider what to do, the biggest question might be, “Is this the year to spend key assets on rentals?” A less-costly depth option, OK. Someone with term or that you know you can sign, all right. But a pure rental? Do they think that makes sense for this team, this season?”

He then notes that Tanev might be an exception. While the Leafs would hesitate to give up big assets for a rental, they might invest heavily in a player they think they can sign.

“He’s a Toronto guy, Treliving signed him (in Calgary), I bet you he’ll have a good idea of what it will take to keep him (in Toronto),” Friedman said. He added, “That’s the one guy I think Toronto goes hard to get, because even if he’s acquired as a rental, I think they’re going to be pretty confident they can keep him. But we’ll see.”

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Apparently we’re going hard after Tanev now.

When are we actually going to address our defense with some sort of priority for younger players with skill and potential? Tanev will help but this defense has been a patchwork quilt for awhile now.

That Tavares contract can’t end soon enough. Hopefully at that point we’ll target defenders who aren’t on the brink of permanent LTIR/retirement. Guys like Tanev are not going to propel us to that next level and are just going to cost assets to replace again a year or two from their acquisition.
When your in a win now mode you worry about this year and maybe next when your making a trade.
Gotta take advantage of these years with 34,88,16

I liked Murphy from Chicago of games I saw
I think both him and tanev would do nicely
Just need a dependable back line
Keep games close

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
An option the Leafs do have is to trade Nylander and re sign him in the summer? We need a very good 2 plus a Tanev. People forget Tanev has a long injury just in Vancouver.

Gio is a 7th d at this pt. Rest him for the playoffs or he won't be there at 40.
I was thinking the same, give Willy a chance at a cup and the experience that comes with it. The rub is whoever would make that trade would be a cup contender and what if they win the cup, would 88 want to return to Toronto? I think not………

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad