Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The only downside of Tanev is his age. He’s about to turn 34 in a few weeks. I wouldn’t give up anything substantial for him, especially considering he may just be a rental. The playing style though is what we need there’s no denying that.

It's only a concern if you extend into his late 30s. I think right now he's playing very good hockey and that will help a lot.

It all depends what kind of extension he'd want. That's where I'd be nervous.

Last edited:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
An option the Leafs do have is to trade Nylander and re sign him in the summer? We need a very good 2 plus a Tanev. People forget Tanev has a long injury just in Vancouver.

Gio is a 7th d at this pt. Rest him for the playoffs or he won't be there at 40.
If we trade him he’s gone he can sign with the team he’s traded to for 8 years he’d never make it bac here

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I don’t share your appreciation for Brodie.

He strikes me as a player on the decline from last season. Peeke strikes me as a player with potential to be better if put in a better situation, which he would be here.

Brodie makes $5m and is a UFA. He doesn’t belong in the top pairing.

If he resigns for cheap next season, I can stand him on a short term deal on 3LHD, but he’d be blocking Lagesson’s development, who I think has shown he has some real potential.

I don’t see Brodie resigning for cheap and on a short term deal, so I’d rather move on from him now, getting some assets, and finally making decisions based on what’s best for the team long term.

Enough of the year to year bandaids.
I agree if your putting Brodie on your third pair move him out for assets and buy extremely low on peeke business 1 0 1 you can’t pay him 5 mil to play on bottom pair and he’s not rugged enough we need to change the make up of the team the core is the core we’re not changing them so change the people around them tougher bac end

Reactions: LeafSteel

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Seattle might not be the worst trade target for a defenseman. Always liked Adam Larsson a lot, and they have Jamie Oleksiak from Toronto in the $4-5 million range with multiple years left, Will Borgen is a younger cheaper option in the mid $2 million range. Brian Dumoulin as well in the $3 million range.

Seattle has done business with us before with Giordano a couple of years ago. And Ron Francis and Brad Treliving hooked up on the Hanifin, Lindholm for Hamilton, Fox blockbuster while Francis was in Carolina.
I completely forgot Gio was on the Kraken

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm definitely in favour of getting Tanev. His health has been better in recent seasons. He's still absolutely one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. I mean who else on this list do you think we could actually acquire?

Of course it would be better if he were younger but that's why he won't cost a ton. And would probably not push for big money on an extension if he wants to be in his hometown.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'm definitely in favour of getting Tanev. His health has been better in recent seasons. He's still absolutely one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. I mean who else on this list do you think we could actually acquire?

Of course it would be better if he were younger but that's why he won't cost a ton. And would probably not push for big money on an extension if he wants to be in his hometown.

Crazy that makar is 4th …is he under rated ?

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Those 3 guys are worth more than Zadorov

Retaining just ups the amount of assets you are likely to get back so if I was them I'd be looking to max retain on those other 3 to maximize my return

Those 3 guys would be the engine I'd use to retool the team

There high value assets, the Calgary GM should be developing that market now because he should move those guys before the TDL imo
Retaining on Zadorov now vs Tanev at the deadline they would be retaining a lot more money on Zadorov therefore creating more value Tanev will only be owed around 1.15 million by the deadline and therefore his cap hit is 1.15ish. Vs Zadorov is still owed 2.71 therefore I would think the more retained on Zadorov would be worth more then Tanev in a trade

Reactions: Kiwi

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I don’t share your appreciation for Brodie.

He strikes me as a player on the decline from last season. Peeke strikes me as a player with potential to be better if put in a better situation, which he would be here.

Brodie makes $5m and is a UFA. He doesn’t belong in the top pairing.

If he resigns for cheap next season, I can stand him on a short term deal on 3LHD, but he’d be blocking Lagesson’s development, who I think has shown he has some real potential.

I don’t see Brodie resigning for cheap and on a short term deal, so I’d rather move on from him now, getting some assets, and finally making decisions based on what’s best for the team long term.

Enough of the year to year bandaids.
He’s definitely on the decline there’s no doubt about it. I’m in favour of moving on from him but replacing him with Peeke right now isn’t a move that makes us better today.

I agree regarding Lagesson, been very impressed with him. My ideal third pair for next season would be McCabe - Lagesson.

Reactions: arso40

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Ty Emberson has been putting together a good season in SJ. He'd be a worthwhile target in a swap for Robertson. SJ is loaded with bottom pair RD (Burroughs, Benning, Addison, Rutta, Emberson) and they're in desperate need for scoring.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Ty Emberson has been putting together a good season in SJ. He'd be a worthwhile target in a swap for Robertson. SJ is loaded with bottom pair RD (Burroughs, Benning, Addison, Rutta, Emberson) and they're in desperate need for scoring.

Not sure if they’d be willing to part with him but he’s definitely looking pretty solid.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
He’s definitely on the decline there’s no doubt about it. I’m in favour of moving on from him but replacing him with Peeke right now isn’t a move that makes us better today.

I agree regarding Lagesson, been very impressed with him. My ideal third pair for next season would be McCabe - Lagesson.
I’m replacing Brodie with Tanev.

Reactions: arso40

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The nice thing about Tanev is he can probably be renewed on the cheap. If they can get one top 4 d, and Tanev on a cheap deal, then d does not look that bad next year and you did not have to blow up whatever cap space you had correcting it.

That buys you a year until Tavares deal expires.

I would still like take a run at Bear when he is healthy at the end of the month.

Timmins has a month to show if he is worth keep around as a bottom pairing rhd next year.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t think Bertuzzi is scoring as much as people thought he would be but he’s a dog out there. I don’t think he’s worth more than the 5.5 he’s currently making but I definitely wouldn’t mind keeping him around. We need more players that go out there and just attack the puck. Having Knies and Bertuzzi on the left side is a great start.

Depends on his ask. He's currently on a 19.5 goal/35 points pace. That's likely going to increase but I think his next aav is going to need to start with a 4 if he wants to consider staying in Toronto. I like him, so ideally a compromise is found

Rumour had it that Treliving left on bad terms and Calgary’s owner has no interest in dealing with him.

Leafs have also been linked to a few Calgary players this season. Seems doubtful that would be the case if there was in fact a ban on trades to Toronto

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Apparently we’re going hard after Tanev now.

When are we actually going to address our defense with some sort of priority for younger players with skill and potential? Tanev will help but this defense has been a patchwork quilt for awhile now.

That Tavares contract can’t end soon enough. Hopefully at that point we’ll target defenders who aren’t on the brink of permanent LTIR/retirement. Guys like Tanev are not going to propel us to that next level and are just going to cost assets to replace again a year or two from their acquisition.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Apparently we’re going hard after Tanev now.

When are we actually going to address our defense with some sort of priority for younger players with skill and potential? Tanev will help but this defense has been a patchwork quilt for awhile now.

That Tavares contract can’t end soon enough. Hopefully at that point we’ll target defenders who aren’t on the brink of permanent LTIR/retirement. Guys like Tanev are not going to propel us to that next level and are just going to cost assets to replace again a year or two from their acquisition.

We simply got good too fast with Matthews, Nylander & Marner exceling the rebuild. We needed another year or two of bottoming out for these defenseman to be on our roster imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad