Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Tanev or Hanifin, million dollar question. Tanev fits the ideal partner for Rielly, but he is up there in age. I was against Hanifin a little while ago, now I’m not so against it. He’s not as physical but he can eat a lot of minutes with solid play, and he’s young enough that he’d be around for the rest of our cores prime.
Word is that Hanifin is looking for a sign and trade deal.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Wonder if the Leafs not being in on Zadorov means that they are still waiting to find out about Klingberg's future.

I don't see why Calgary wouldn't have waited. I would have beaten that price as the Leafs.

Even if not from the Leafs, hard to believe a better package wouldn’t have materialized closer to the TDL. Unless Zadorov and his camp were making the situation so untenable that this needed to be done quick I’m not sure why Conroy pulled the trigger so early.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Trade #1 Leafs/Sharks

Samsonov $3,550,000
Reaves $1,350,000
Timmons $1,100,000
2024 3rd (NYI)/Robertson

for

Blackwood $2,350,000
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trade #2 Leafs/Flames

Liljegren $1,400,000
2024 1st (TOR)
Minten
Niemela
Kokkonen

for

Weegar $6,250,000
Tanev $4,500,000

Rielly Weegar
Brodie Tanev
McCabe Giordano
Lagesson/Benoit

Woll
Blackwood

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Trade #1 Leafs/Sharks

Samsonov $3,550,000
Reaves $1,350,000
Timmons $1,100,000
2024 3rd (NYI)/Robertson

for

Blackwood $2,350,000
Trade #2 Leafs/Flames

Liljegren $1,400,000
2024 1st (TOR)
Minten
Niemela
Kokkonen

for

Weegar $6,250,000
Tanev $4,500,000

Rielly Weegar
Brodie Tanev
McCabe Giordano
Lagesson/Benoit

Woll
Blackwood
How are we getting cap compliant? Nearly $2.5 mil over the cap.

Reactions: arso40

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Tanev or Hanifin, million dollar question. Tanev fits the ideal partner for Rielly, but he is up there in age. I was against Hanifin a little while ago, now I’m not so against it. He’s not as physical but he can eat a lot of minutes with solid play, and he’s young enough that he’d be around for the rest of our cores prime.
Hanifin reportedly has all Canadian teams on his NTC. It's not happening, at least not with a contract extension.

Reactions: BallardEra

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
while I agree the later on in the season the lower the cap hit to the new team should they not be in LTIR of course the less likely it is needed for them to retain tho. and even if they go sale mode Lindholm/Tanev/Hanifin are there only UFA's with a substantial cap hit so unless there retaining on all 3 I would have done it now rather then hoping to use all 3 later. as they currently have all 3 spots.

Those 3 guys are worth more than Zadorov

Retaining just ups the amount of assets you are likely to get back so if I was them I'd be looking to max retain on those other 3 to maximize my return

Those 3 guys would be the engine I'd use to retool the team

What’s the rush?

There high value assets, the Calgary GM should be developing that market now because he should move those guys before the TDL imo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Those 3 guys are worth more than Zadorov

Retaining just ups the amount of assets you are likely to get back so if I was them I'd be looking to max retain on those other 3 to maximize my return

Those 3 guys would be the engine I'd use to retool the team

There high value assets, the Calgary GM should be developing that market now because he should move those guys before the TDL imo
Too early to give up on the season. Lots of time between now and the TDL.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'll still hold out a little hope. He was close to a long term extension in Calgary a month ago so he can't be that Canada-averse. But yes the chances are slim.
I think if you ask him if he’ll do a sign and trade to Toronto he wouldn’t say no

How are we getting cap compliant? Nearly $2.5 mil over the cap.
And huge no on trading out lily and bringing in weegar

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Zadorov to the Canucks for peanuts.

Brad must still be in his coma after making Matthews the highest paid player in the world
Bad look for Tre, probably could have gotten him for less not being a division rival. Reeves, Klingburg, and now this, he had better have something up his sleeve……..

Reactions: TimeZone

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Bad look for Tre, probably could have gotten him for less not being a division rival. Reeves, Klingburg, and now this, he had better have something up his sleeve……..
I'm guessing that was a cap space issue for a lot of teams. Maybe Vancouver was the only team who was willing to make a deal without Calgary retaining any of the salary, and that's why the acquisition cost was so low.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
While I wish we could significantly upgrade our defense this season, unfortunately it looks like it just might be some depth pieces added to it. Next off season is when we should see our defense totally revamped.

Pending UFA at seasons end to target-
Brady Skjei
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Chris Tanev
Dylan DeMelo
Nikita Zadorov
Ilya Lyubushkin

Personally, I would go after 1 of Hanifin or Skjei, 1 of Pesce or Tanev.

Rielly-Pesce/Tanev
Hanifin/Skjei-Liljegren
Lagerrson-McCabe

You're looking at roughly adding anywhere from 14-16 million to the defense core, with Brodie and Klingberg off the books and Giordano, that's roughly 10.5 million. So there's going to be some cap juggling amongst the forward group.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
While I wish we could significantly upgrade our defense this season, unfortunately it looks like it just might be some depth pieces added to it. Next off season is when we should see our defense totally revamped.

Pending UFA at seasons end to target-
Brady Skjei
Noah Hanifin
Brett Pesce
Chris Tanev
Dylan DeMelo
Nikita Zadorov
Ilya Lyubushkin

Personally, I would go after 1 of Hanifin or Skjei, 1 of Pesce or Tanev.

Rielly-Pesce/Tanev
Hanifin/Skjei-Liljegren
Lagerrson-McCabe

You're looking at roughly adding anywhere from 14-16 million to the defense core, with Brodie and Klingberg off the books and Giordano, that's roughly 10.5 million. So there's going to be some cap juggling amongst the forward group.
Sucks having to potentially wait until the off-season to see some major pieces on the blueline added but given the cost to acquire a top four dman, it might have to be like that. Almost makes this year a wash unfortunately.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Doesn't make hanging onto there pending UFA'S a smart move though
They’re in a funny place, similar to the Leafs, do you trade them or keep them? The biggest difference is that Calgary needs the playoff gates.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Nick Robertson will likely have to be included in a trade package for a top 4 D with term. And I am ok with it.
I’m starting to be more open to this idea, which is no knock on Robertson. He’s played really good since being called up and has really sparked our secondary scoring.

With Klingberg hopefully out for the year, Murphy would be my top target (given the cap relief) with Robertson part of the deal.

We acquire a shutdown defenceman who can pair up with Rielly for the next couple seasons. Then focus on acquiring a dman through free agency for the second pair (Hanifin, Skeji or Forsling).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacquestrapless
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad