Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
The Canucks move is odd.

Soucy is back from LTIR within weeks.

This means they suddenly will not have cap space to sign Bear unless he signs for a minimum salary.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So from Calgary only Tanev and Hanifin are the remaining UFA defensemen. That’s honestly fine, Zadorov is big but is very much only valued as a bottom pairing defenseman.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I know we all love our own ideas but this could really bolster things for us.

8 NHL defenseman, Seeler and Bear could be around long term, not enough people know how nasty Seeler can be.

1701388424358.png

1701388448992.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So I think the Leafs wanted more cap flexibility if they were completely healthy. If they acquired Zadorov at full sticker price, they would have had to play with a 20 man roster if I'm seeing this right. So it kind of makes sense why the Flames made a deal they didn't have to retain.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I'd love to pile on Treliving but I'm not blaming him here.

- Decent chance Calgary won't deal with him for anything but a massive overpay
- Leafs legitimately can't spend the Klingberg cap space until he's officially ruled out or it looks fishy

I also don't think this is as big a steal as others. How much more than $3.75m is Zadorov worth to be giving up value to take that on? I feel like people always imagine every deal comes with 50% retention since they so often do, but this is the return when you're asking a team to take the full contract.
Why would you love to pile on Treliving?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So I think the Leafs wanted more cap flexibility if they were completely healthy. If they acquired Zadorov at full sticker price, they would have had to play with a 20 man roster if I'm seeing this right. So it kind of makes sense why the Flames made a deal they didn't have to retain.
Leafs also may not have clarity on Klingberg all though not sure I believe it. They know and he's likely out for the year.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I think its work with internal players and I am hoping we are looking for a guy like Ethan Bear?

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Zadorov easily nets a 2nd + at the trade deadline especially if they retained. Not sure what the rush was or the need of cap space for the Flames.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
If trelviing still wants physicality, Seeler and Ferraro are two less sexy names that are solid

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What a fail.
Now go get the king of the IR. Perfect bandaid for this team !

Is that Tanev?

He hasn't been injured very much since joining the Flames. Hasn't missed a game this year and was only day to day a few times last year, maybe missed 12 ish games? Didn't miss a game in 2021-2022. I don't think he's been on the IR for 3 years, at least.

Reactions: uncleben

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With Klingberg on LTIR, yep.

I wasn't a fan of Zadorov but considering all the hooplah from Treliving wanting to get bigger, meaner and better on defense, he hasn't done crap to address it.

I hope he has something else lined up.
Maybe they’d be OK for now, but in trouble if Klingberg doesn’t have surgery.

Zadorov is bigger, but no better than McCabe, Brodie, Liljegren. Doesn’t make sense to add another 4,5,6 D at 3.5 million.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It definitely makes sense though Tre will still need to find an alternative trade or else it's still not a great look given how low of a return Zadorav just got

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad