Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
That's exactly what I wish we would do. We have allocated so much money to our forwards over the last 15 years and have invested nothing but garbage into our defense and goalie. Clearly that strategy hasn't worked. Let's hope Treliving focuses on building from the net out. With Nylander, Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Brodie and Domi coming off the books next year, that's roughly 26 million of the books, Hanifin and Pesce combined would roughly be 15-17 million which leaves you about 10 million to replace 2 top 6 forwards and a 3 line center
I really don’t think they’re letting Nylander walk, so there goes the cap space. We’d have to trade Kampf, jarnkrok, reaves, and fill everything in with league min most likely.

I’d be open to it still. It would only be a year until we’d have more cap space.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just looking at some options through cap friendly, I noticed the Sharks have 9 NHL D on their roster right now. Not many of them are good at all and I doubt they have any interest in giving up Ferraro (even if he's a league worst -19). Mukhamadullin and Thrun are in the minors as well, which I'm sure they'd want them back in the NHL soon. They also just traded for Addison a few weeks ago, which is another RHD.

I wonder if someone like Matt Benning could be available. Signed for a few more years just over 1M, which is fully buriable, right handed and he's a capable defenseman. He kills a lot of penalties and moves around well enough on the ice. He's playing ~19 minutes a game for them.

Shouldn't cost more than Max Ellis :)

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I'm not opposed to trading Kampf, but then, who do you play as the 4C? We don't really have anyone up for the task. Is there anyone on the market that we could obtain for that role?

Granlund at 50%? Not really a 4C, but he's good defensively, and offensively... he'd be an upgrade for sure.

Sam Carrick?

I'd still love McBain... but I highly doubt Arizona moves him, and he's out with injury right now.
Or just give him holmberg some run way as cheap as it gets

Reactions: andora

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
A depth forward would be a good price to pay to get an NHL defenseman. I don't think the Sharks would want that him though, for good reason.

But maybe? I'm not sure anymore.

Mike Reilly is a depth NHL defenseman and got waived, sometimes you just have a surplus.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Is allocating 17 mill to those 2 defencemen worth more to you then signing one of them and finding a nice gem ,signing nylander go for it and then re construct when the caps a ufa?? that way you keep your high valued assets and we have to stop giving out full no moves going forward
While it would suck to lose Nylander, you also have to remember the following year you have 11 million coming off the books in Tavares. Do you resign him or do you use that 11 million now to upgrade your offense? By then you would have to assume all of Minten, Cowan, and Grebyonkin will be knocking on the door as well for playing time, while still having Knies and Robertson playing in your top 9.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
All this Calgary talk makes me think back to the Dion Phaneuf trade when Toronto offloaded a boat load of mid roster depth and random pieces to get a workhorse defenseman and a bunch of other junk back in 2010. Obviously Dion wasn't a suitable franchise defenseman to build around for a winning program, but a number 3 who could solidify the LD spot on the second pair? We could really use something like that right now. Funny enough, Dion's younger than Gio even though he's a relic from another age.
Dion was a good target at the time. He had 20 goals his rookie year and all the metrics were trending up. He was also a hitting machine (big man with an edge) lots to like there. It didn't exactly fall into place here for him but the trade was solid.

Reactions: Kurtz

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
CJ on his latest article mentioned that the Leafs are not likely in on Hanifin (due to his NTC and contract demands) but Tanev and Zadorov certainly hold appeal. CJ said that it's possible the Leafs try to get BOTH of them.

He also mentioned Lyubushkin and Sean Walker as options to keep an eye on. Market will keep growing.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
While it would suck to lose Nylander, you also have to remember the following year you have 11 million coming off the books in Tavares. Do you resign him or do you use that 11 million now to upgrade your offense? By then you would have to assume all of Minten, Cowan, and Grebyonkin will be knocking on the door as well for playing time, while still having Knies and Robertson playing in your top 9.
You let Tavares walk he’s passed his prime nylander isn’t id rather work it so we can keep nylander matthews and marner

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
You let Tavares walk he’s passed his prime nylander isn’t id rather work it so we can keep nylander matthews and marner
I agree, I would let Tavares walk as well, but in saying that, you resign nylander this year, without moving any of Matthews, Marner and Tavares, well guess what, our defense might be even worse next year. Rielly and McCabe are the only defensemen signed for next year. Liljegren will be an RFA and now you're left with nothing to fix your back end, and this is not even talking about what to do with our goalie situation as well since Samsonov will be an RFA as well

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
CJ on his latest article mentioned that the Leafs are not likely in on Hanifin (due to his NTC and contract demands) but Tanev and Zadorov certainly hold appeal. CJ said that it's possible the Leafs try to get BOTH of them.

He also mentioned Lyubushkin and Sean Walker as options to keep an eye on. Market will keep growing.

I've been hoping to hear of a very elite defenseman's name popping up but maybe that's an off-season thing, usually happens with playoff disappointment or something.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

It depends on Tavares number for his next contract. He really doesn't want to play anywhere else. At a number below $5 mil, he'll provide incredible value for a few years.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It depends on Tavares number for his next contract. He really doesn't want to play anywhere else. At a number below $5 mil, he'll provide incredible value for a few years.

I'm more wanting to move on for mental make up of the team, I just don't know if he (and maybe the other core guys) have the mental fortitude for the playoffs, although I guess everyone is doubted until they do it, seeing it like 5 times with JT and 7 with the other "big 3" has made me a little jaded.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Zadorov to the Canucks for peanuts.

Brad must still be in his coma after making Matthews the highest paid player in the world

Reactions: rumman

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Zadorov to the Canucks for peanuts.

Brad must still be in his coma after making Matthews the highest paid player in the world
The Leafs have enough bottom end D. Who knows, they may end up moving some of them.

Reactions: bax

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
No Zadorov for us

A bit frustrating, but if he can find us a #2LD with term I’m more than happy for him to sit this one out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad