Trades and UFA’s - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
I would try to get Noah Hanifin, if he's looking for 6.5m long term. Gonna cost a 1+ for him, not a lot of top 4 d available but we need to get one as soon as possible.

I also wonder what Hanifin and Zadorov will cost together, starts with a first and second but what else will we need to add. Getting the D sorted now is very important, we always focus on the forward spots and then look to fix defense.

Reactions: jiggy35

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I would try to get Noah Hanifin, if he's looking for 6.5m long term. Gonna cost a 1+ for him, not a lot of top 4 d available but we need to get one as soon as possible.

I also wonder what Hanifin and Zadorov will cost together, starts with a first and second but what else will we need to add. Getting the D sorted now is very important, we always focus on the forward spots and then look to fix defense.
If your getting two of them it should be hanifin and tanev not zadorov

Reactions: Madap and fahad203

horner

May 22, 2007

Hanifin is free agent in the summer .
I would use anything end assets on this team . We aren't good enough.
Florida and Boston will add to there team

3rd + Abruzzies or Steeves for a dman

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
Hanifin is free agent in the summer .
I would use anything end assets on this team . We aren't good enough.
Florida and Boston will add to there team

3rd + Abruzzies or Steeves for a dman

Only trade for Hanifin if he would resign, otherwise not really worth it. Hope we trade someone with term or will 100% sign a contract with.

Reactions: Al14 and andora

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
There's a glut of teams still in the mix. One winning streak and even the lowly teams can in a playoff spot. I don't see many teams giving up players easily or for pure pick(s) right now.

Only difference is that Zadorov asked for a trade, so maybe that forces their hands.
There is virtually no trading in the NHL anymore other in on or in anticipation of the deadline or around the draft (and even the latter has cooled). It is a very boring league at this point.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Only trade for Hanifin if he would resign, otherwise not really worth it. Hope we trade someone with term or will 100% sign a contract with.
That’s why Murphy is one of my top choices right now. Then go hard after Hanifin in free agency.

Rielly - Murphy
Hanifin - Liljegren
McCabe - Niemela/Lagesson/cheap UFA

Reactions: andora

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary is in a playoff spot.. so

All this Calgary talk makes me think back to the Dion Phaneuf trade when Toronto offloaded a boat load of mid roster depth and random pieces to get a workhorse defenseman and a bunch of other junk back in 2010. Obviously Dion wasn't a suitable franchise defenseman to build around for a winning program, but a number 3 who could solidify the LD spot on the second pair? We could really use something like that right now. Funny enough, Dion's younger than Gio even though he's a relic from another age.

Reactions: Duffman955

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That’s why Murphy is one of my top choices right now. Then go hard after Hanifin in free agency.

Rielly - Murphy
Hanifin - Liljegren
McCabe - Niemela/Lagesson/cheap UFA

Connor Murphy would actually be a good defensive option. Mean enough, has the big wingspan defensive defenseman and RHD. Only downside is he's spent his whole career on bad teams, so would we be getting Ron Hainsey or someone like Jake McCabe who has so many bad habits.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
If we’re adding two defenceman I would be more inclined to to middle tier guys (Peeke and Lyubushkin) rather than one of the bigger fish.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If we’re adding two defenceman I would be more inclined to to middle tier guys (Peeke and Lyubushkin) rather than one of the bigger fish.

Yeah agreed. We can't pay full retail on everything all the time to fix the blueline. Leafs pro scouting needs to up their game in terms of targeting affordable, available and under the radar good defensemen and the GM needs to pounce.

Just looking at our opponent last night, Florida has added Mikkola (free agent) Ekman-Larsson (free agent), Montour (traded a third round pick) and Forsling (waivers) for the price of one third round pick total.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah agreed. We can't pay full retail on everything all the time to fix the blueline. Leafs pro scouting needs to up their game in terms of targeting affordable, available and under the radar good defensemen and the GM needs to pounce.

Just looking at our opponent last night, Florida has added Mikkola (free agent) Ekman-Larsson (free agent), Montour (traded a third round pick) and Forsling (waivers) for the price of one third round pick total.
Maybe Hanifin and Pesce will both hit the market and we can just sign them…

Rielly - Pesce
Hanifin - Liljegren
McCabe - Lagesson

One can dream right?

Reactions: rumman and arso40

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Maybe Hanifin and Pesce will both hit the market and we can just sign them…

Rielly - Pesce
Hanifin - Liljegren
McCabe - Lagesson

One can dream right?
That's exactly what I wish we would do. We have allocated so much money to our forwards over the last 15 years and have invested nothing but garbage into our defense and goalie. Clearly that strategy hasn't worked. Let's hope Treliving focuses on building from the net out. With Nylander, Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Brodie and Domi coming off the books next year, that's roughly 26 million of the books, Hanifin and Pesce combined would roughly be 15-17 million which leaves you about 10 million to replace 2 top 6 forwards and a 3 line center

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
That's exactly what I wish we would do. We have allocated so much money to our forwards over the last 15 years and have invested nothing but garbage into our defense and goalie. Clearly that strategy hasn't worked. Let's hope Treliving focuses on building from the net out. With Nylander, Klingberg, Bertuzzi, Brodie and Domi coming off the books next year, that's roughly 26 million of the books, Hanifin and Pesce combined would roughly be 15-17 million which leaves you about 10 million to replace 2 top 6 forwards and a 3 line center
Is allocating 17 mill to those 2 defencemen worth more to you then signing one of them and finding a nice gem ,signing nylander go for it and then re construct when the caps a ufa?? that way you keep your high valued assets and we have to stop giving out full no moves going forward

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Given all of our injuries, I'd be calling about Peeke right now. He's been sitting for a while, no trades, so clearly the demand isn't particularly high. I've liked him up until last year, so maybe some opportunity for redemption. He's played over 20 minutes per game at times.

The challenge of course, is what happens when everyone is back from injury, is Peeke good enough to keep on the roster... was it one bad year, or a regression? Also, what if Klingberg does come back from LTIR... If Klingberg is on LTIR all year, we easily have the spa e.

That's on the pro scouts to decide, but I think he'd cost a throwaway prospect right now, maybe a late round pick.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Just looking at some options through cap friendly, I noticed the Sharks have 9 NHL D on their roster right now. Not many of them are good at all and I doubt they have any interest in giving up Ferraro (even if he's a league worst -19). Mukhamadullin and Thrun are in the minors as well, which I'm sure they'd want them back in the NHL soon. They also just traded for Addison a few weeks ago, which is another RHD.

I wonder if someone like Matt Benning could be available. Signed for a few more years just over 1M, which is fully buriable, right handed and he's a capable defenseman. He kills a lot of penalties and moves around well enough on the ice. He's playing ~19 minutes a game for them.

Reactions: jaric1862

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Given all of our injuries, I'd be calling about Peeke right now. He's been sitting for a while, no trades, so clearly the demand isn't particularly high. I've liked him up until last year, so maybe some opportunity for redemption. He's played over 20 minutes per game at times.

The challenge of course, is what happens when everyone is back from injury, is Peeke good enough to keep on the roster... was it one bad year, or a regression? Also, what if Klingberg does come back from LTIR... If Klingberg is on LTIR all year, we easily have the spa e.

That's on the pro scouts to decide, but I think he'd cost a throwaway prospect right now, maybe a late round pick.
I don’t know what he’s waiting for do you think hirvonen gets it done?would rather kampf but you know ….whatever

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don’t know what he’s waiting for do you think hirvonen gets it done?would rather kampf but you know ….whatever

I'm not opposed to trading Kampf, but then, who do you play as the 4C? We don't really have anyone up for the task. Is there anyone on the market that we could obtain for that role?

Granlund at 50%? Not really a 4C, but he's good defensively, and offensively... he'd be an upgrade for sure.

Sam Carrick?

I'd still love McBain... but I highly doubt Arizona moves him, and he's out with injury right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad