Roster Building (& Training Camp) XXIII: Re-signings, Re-considerations, Recriminations

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
Couple of things that explain:
Blake is a rookie and RBA similar toJarvis is willing to give Jackson a window to learn
Blake appears to be physically ready whereby FUS could use a couple of years to gain strength/weight

Minute eaters but with Carrier I'm excited to think that the trio are going to represent one of the NHL's best ball buster lines. Hope they all stay healthy.
Blake hasn't shown even close to what Jarvis showed right away imo. He's being given the leeway because he showed commitment in the gym. The situation reminds me more of Drury except that Blake is being given an opportunity right away instead of playing in the AHL. Jarvis wasn't eligible to play in the AHL and was too good for junior.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Blake hasn't shown even close to what Jarvis showed right away imo. He's being given the leeway because he showed commitment in the gym. The situation reminds me more of Drury except that Blake is being given an opportunity right away instead of playing in the AHL. Jarvis wasn't eligible to play in the AHL and was too good for junior.
Yeah I don’t think Blake blew the doors off. He did enough to make Rod change his original concept of adding a kid to the top six to putting one in the bottom six despite vets being there. Young legs help.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Pretty high praise from Brindy

I only watched a couple of games, but what surprises me about this move, and this statement from RBA, is that the mistakes Blake was making were the type of mistakes that RBA would never forgive/allow in the past. Turning a puck over at the exact wrong spot/time, trying to do to much, not making the safe play at a time when it's warranted, etc.

Granted, in pre-season young guys frequently try to do too much and it can lead to this, but unlike FUS last year, who seemingly made all the right plays at the right times, Blake was more high risk IMO.

Maybe Necas has worn Rod down and he's softening on stuff like this?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Totally agree. I guess Rod's comment about mistakes bothered me more than anything. He has no problem dropping people that aren't his favourites to the 4th line after one mistake but Staal and Martinook could go a whole season without scoring and be praised.

IMO, Rod doesn't hate mistakes. Rod hates risky plays that lead to mistakes when there was a safe play alternative. Trying to make a play at our own blue line vs. chipping it out which leads to a turnover. Being the last guy back on their blue line and making a risky play leading to a turnover. Those are the mistakes Rod hates.

Right or Wrong, Martinook, Staal, Fast almost ALWAYS make the safe play, which lowers a coaches blood pressure and thus why they don't get demoted.

As far as "not scoring", over the past 2 seasons, Martinook and Staal are 5th and 6th in 5v5 scoring on the Canes. In fact, Martinook has 2 less points than Jarvis in only 1 less game. The last 2 seasons, Jarvis and Necas had 27 and 26 goals 5v5 vs. 24 and 23 for Staal and Martinook, and we know Staal and Martinook play much tougher minutes.

"Going a whole season without scoring" is a bit of an exaggeration, as they don't play on the PP.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There's also the fact Rod has watched these kids every day and might have slightly more insight into these players than the average hfboards poster catching a few preseason games. FUS seems clearly well thought of and his chance will come.
I'm sorry, I take exception to your assertion that my 5 minutes of watching Blake and FUS in the pre-season doesn't give me the same insight of a team's coach.

Get outta here with that!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
i think it probably has more to do with wanting FUS to work at developing as a C in chicago with high minutes than anything else.

for the franchise's long term sake, i like it.
This is what I'm at. If I just want best player available to put on the roster as a winger this year, I take FUS. I truly think he could comfortably play in the NHL right now as a 1:1 replacement for Turbo. But they want to convert him to center, and it's going to be a lot better for him and for the team if he takes his lumps learning how to play C in the AHL. And if he bulks up a bit and learns to use his body in a way that Turbo never could, so much the better!

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Keep in mind that Dater is a fookin moron.
yea i definitely don’t see Colorado trading him at the deadline unless somehow they were out of the playoff race. Could they have cut talks off for the season maybe? But if Colorado called and offered him 13 million a year tonight he’s probably signing it lol. We can all pray he makes it to UFA next year cause the Canes would be all over that I’d imagine

baconandbread

Oct 30, 2019
IMO, Rod doesn't hate mistakes. Rod hates risky plays that lead to mistakes when there was a safe play alternative. Trying to make a play at our own blue line vs. chipping it out which leads to a turnover. Being the last guy back on their blue line and making a risky play leading to a turnover. Those are the mistakes Rod hates.

Right or Wrong, Martinook, Staal, Fast almost ALWAYS make the safe play, which lowers a coaches blood pressure and thus why they don't get demoted.

As far as "not scoring", over the past 2 seasons, Martinook and Staal are 5th and 6th in 5v5 scoring on the Canes. In fact, Martinook has 2 less points than Jarvis in only 1 less game. The last 2 seasons, Jarvis and Necas had 27 and 26 goals 5v5 vs. 24 and 23 for Staal and Martinook, and we know Staal and Martinook play much tougher minutes.

"Going a whole season without scoring" is a bit of an exaggeration, as they don't play on the PP.
Said they could go a whole season without scoring, not that they have. Yes, it was an intentional exaggeration but my point about Rod playing favourites still stands. He's done amazing things for the team however it gets irritating at times when we need some skill players in skill roles and players like KK could be in the Staal role. Personally I hope that the whole offseason Necas situation has changed Rod's thinking a bit.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Said they could go a whole season without scoring, not that they have. Yes, it was an intentional exaggeration but my point about Rod playing favourites still stands. He's done amazing things for the team however it gets irritating at times when we need some skill players in skill roles and players like KK could be in the Staal role. Personally I hope that the whole offseason Necas situation has changed Rod's thinking a bit.
Sure Rod plays favorites, but every single coach in the NHL plays favorites. It's not unique to Rod. When players do what coaches want them to do, play the way coaches want them to play and get results, they get more ice time. It's not complicated. Even so, after the trade deadline, Staal and Martinook were 7th and 8th in ES TOI / GP, so they didn't get "favorites" ice time, they got bottom 6 ice time.

As far as your KK comment:
1) He's been given multiple chances to be the 2C (above the Staal role) and has not been able to perform to a level to keep that role. It has nothing to do with "favorites".
2) He hasn't shown anywhere near the ability to play the Staal role. Worse skater, not as good defensively, worse at face-offs and has never in his career faced the other team's top competition.

Let's not act like KK hasn't been given a chance or that he's proven he could just step into the Staal role. There's nothing to support that statement. Actually, your exaggeration about going a season without scoring almost applies to KK last year.

I actually have hope for KK but I think this is probably his last chance in Carolina. Canes need him to be at least a serviceable 2C and he's getting a chance.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
KK has not ever really shown the 2C game. I think it was two seasons ago where Necas and Svech took off early with KK between them? KK got some pts out of it but he did very little to drive the play. The other two were leaving him in the dust and the goal would be scored with KK barely over the blue line. He was very much a passenger.

I give him credit for being a stronger skater and not falling over every time there’s contact made anymore but otherwise his game has been just what Habs fans described. Too slow, great wrist shot but he takes too long to get it off.

I wonder about where he would be if he was drafted 18th instead of 3rd and didn’t have money invested in him. I think he’d either be a fourth liner or struggling to be in the league, because it’s mostly about hopes vs actual accomplishments with him. If he didn’t have the hopes and it was based purely on the accomplishments he hasn’t had enough to warrant more than maybe the fourth line. I haven’t completely given up on him, and we’ll see this year but I don’t put much hope in there anymore. He’ll never get a better chance with us than this.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ok folks, is this phenomenon of the season having started with relatively little fanfare or excitement:

1) Us being bummed about a weird offseason so not having the same "anything can happen" vibes going into this season

2) Universal (not just us) and the NHL has done a bad job of promoting the start of the season?

3) An Anton Dubinchuk-only phenomenon and he's losing his love of the sport?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Ok folks, is this phenomenon of the season having started with relatively little fanfare or excitement:

1) Us being bummed about a weird offseason so not having the same "anything can happen" vibes going into this season

2) Universal (not just us) and the NHL has done a bad job of promoting the start of the season?

Keep the faith....by Saturday you will be engaged again.

Reactions: DaveG

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC

I personally believe we will win the cup this year. Just like the caps in 2018 when they were supposed to take a step back.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Can't speak for the entire fan base or NHL fandom in general, but I've been hyped for both the NHL season and our upcoming start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad