Player Discussion Ty Emberson

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hoffman might surprise. I see him as hardly different than a Jeff Skinner, if only two yrs older. I would say Hoffman was much better than Skinner just yrs ago. That said he is turning 35 soon. Wish we had him half a dozen yrs ago. What a difference he would've made here.

Skinner in last three seasons has years of 33, 35 and 24 goals scored. Hoffman conversely is at 15, 14 and 10 respectively. Skinner has as many goals as Hoffman has points over the past 3 seasons.

In there respective primes they were comparable players. But Skinner has been much better recently and isn't nearly as far removed from that prime (as recently as a season ago put up more than 80 points).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner in last three seasons has years of 33, 35 and 24 goals scored. Hoffman conversely is at 15, 14 and 10 respectively. Skinner has as many goals as Hoffman has points over the past 3 seasons.

In there respective primes they were comparable players. But Skinner has been much better recently and isn't nearly as far removed from that prime (as recently as a season ago put up more than 80 points).
I said two yrs ago Hoffman was about the same player. He put u 36 and 29 goal seasons. Just a bit older, and longer ago, I acknowledge.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Anytime I've seen Podz he's pretty awful. Just wondering why he's a shoe in. He was a complete bust in Vancouver.

Lavoie hasn't had any luck around net and I like him, but he needs to finish something and stay healthy. Something off with him.
I disagree I’ve liked Podkolzins game especially away from the puck. Hes physical and skates better than I thought. Seems good on the forecheck and has made some plays. Hoffman is completely useless when he’s not one timing pucks on the power play which is probably the least needed skill set for us.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's got definitive top 4 potential but we can't just force it out of him. He's for sure going to make mistakes so I wish we didn't have to rush him. I just hope a trade for a top4 Dman falls in our lap in October
Agreed, the perfect situation would be him at 3RD. The problem is that much like ceci he will be elevated with the unpredictable Nurse because we have no one better to fill that spot.
But one guy plays a game that is well suited to the 4th line or bottom 6 role in general and the other pretty much needs a top six complementary scoring role and pp time to have any positive impact. Even in his good days the knock on Hoffman was that other then shooting the puck he was going to be a liability on the ice. He does not pass the puck well and is generally poor defensively.
I think that Hoffman could do well in a 3rd or 4th line depth role as a scoring threat. Some Sharks fans were saying that he was better defensively than they expected (they expected absolutely terrible fwiw).

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Didn't watch Emberson, but just gonna be that guy that says we good cause of analytics
1727454361861.png

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I’m not saying it’s a good or bad reason. But it is the reason imo.

Although that being said, I can get why a team would prefer a guy like Podkolzin playing ~7 minutes a night on the 4h line versus a guy like Hoffman. Hoffman is turning 35 in a few months and has been one of the worst defensive players in the league throughout his career.

Frankly, I have no clue why Hoffman was even brought on as a PTO. I can't help but feel like it must have been done as a favour to the player or his agent with hopes someone else might give him a contract. Maybe he’ll end up down in Bakersfield.
Why u heff to hate the guy? Rooting for the guy to make the Oilers ala Ryan, Perry .. we can bash him once released ..
The man can still snipe ..

As for Emberson, i am picking him in my fantasy pool hoping for 200-250hits and 40-50pts

Oilhawks

Over Old Hills
Nov 24, 2011
Damn it 30 career games, 950k Emberson

you-were-the-chosen-one.gif

You were supposed to elevate Darnell! You only played on par with him. LOSER!

On these boards, that post but unironically, apparently.

Especially when compared to the demi-god that is Cody Ceci.

Reactions: oobga

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I liked his attempts at physicality, but putting him in the top 4 is just asking for trouble.

Both Dermott and Emberson both looked overmatched there.

The Oil have two options for next to Nurse, 1) Stecher or 2) Kulak, with Dermott occupying the 3LD spot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I liked his attempts at physicality, but putting him in the top 4 is just asking for trouble.

Both Dermott and Emberson both looked overmatched there.

The Oil have two options for next to Nurse, 1) Stecher or 2) Kulak, with Dermott occupying the 3LD spot.
I don't know how much of an option Kulak is. He has played on the right side since either Junior hockey or before that

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I don't know how much of an option Kulak is. He has played on the right side since either Junior hockey or before that

Sounds like Kulak was so opposed to playing right with Nurse that we had to handicap our game 1 of the finals going back to nurse-ceci. And of course those 2 dopes look like idiots on a goal against 3 minutes into game 1.

It’s a shame, cause I didn’t mind kulak either nurse in the Dallas series. That adjustment by Knob helped us a lot to take that series. But seems Kulak was not enjoying it at all.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

He did (sparingly) in Montreal. I think the big issue was he wasn't comfortable jumping straight into it during the conference and cup finals. The regular season is a far easier situation.

It's a such a stupid issue Nurse causes: He needs a new partner, sure that's fine. But he also creates the most difficult spot on the defence for someone new to join and try and settle in.

Imo that's the main reason why it needs to be Stecher or Kulak next to him, they've been around the team long enough to know the system. Dermott and Emberson (and whomever else they bring in) are still trying to learn on the fly, playing top 4 with Nurse only makes that so much more difficult.

Reactions: frag2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He did (sparingly) in Montreal. I think the big issue was he wasn't comfortable jumping straight into it during the conference and cup finals. The regular season is a far easier situation.

It's a such a stupid issue Nurse causes: He needs a new partner, sure that's fine. But he also creates the most difficult spot on the defence for someone new to join and try and settle in.

Imo that's the main reason why it needs to be Stecher or Kulak next to him, they've been around the team long enough to know the system. Dermott and Emberson (and whomever else they bring in) are still trying to learn on the fly, playing top 4 with Nurse only makes that so much more difficult.
I don't know Kulak was asked about it last week and it really didn't seem like something he's actually played

Not an easy transition at all to make either this late in your career

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The entire D core was bad yesterday and looked off but starting the season with a rookie on the 2nd pairing is asking for trouble. Just use Stecher on the 2nd pairing and let Emerson get used to the team and system on the third pairing.
Not a bad thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad