Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Kris Russell is really a much better player than he gets credit for.

He isn't a player worth a 4M aav with a NMC, but the way people talk about him you would think he didn't belong in the league.

Reactions: Former Referee 68

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

He isn't a player worth a 4M aav with a NMC, but the way people talk about him you would think he didn't belong in the league.

He's a perfectly serviceable bottom pairing D who should be making around a million bucks.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We know he did. Oilers had put in the better offer Bruins said no

That's not what happened at all. The Oilers balked when Boston asked for Nurse on top of the picks.

LINK

The Edmonton Oilers were in the running to acquire Dougie Hamilton from the Bruins Friday, but Boston’s asking price was too high.

According to Joe Haggerty of Comcast Sportsnet, the Oilers offered the Bruins three picks (No. 16, No. 33 and No. 57 in 2015 NHL Draft) for Hamilton. The Bruins, however, wanted defensive prospect Darnell Nurse included as part of a package.

Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli, who was fired by the Bruins in April, didn’t want to let Nurse go.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017

Because you can't separate his 4m AAV with the fact that he's a bottom pairing defenceman or getting caved in as a top-4 guy.

Does he do anything different than David Schlemko, who makes 2M? It's just a ludicrous contract for a bottom of the roster player.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Because you can't separate his 4m AAV with the fact that he's a bottom pairing defenceman or getting caved in as a top-4 guy.

Does he do anything different than David Schlemko, who makes 2M? It's just a ludicrous contract for a bottom of the roster player.

No argument here. It's a very ugly contract.

Kris Russell even had a down season offensively last year, which makes it even worse because we should have been able to get him cheaper. :laugh:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Here are the facts and logic.
Russell cost us nothing but cap space.
Russell has been much better than Hamonic this year AINEC.
We retained our picks.

Doesn't take rocket appliances to figure it out son.

The facts and logic comment was made as a shot at posters critical of Chia. Not just the one move. Is it that difficult to follow a conversation?

It's a condescending and incorrect statement.
Much like "figure it out son".

We should have been cup contenders. Instead, we're bottom 5.
Is that what you had in mind?

Also, "rocket appliances"?
If you're going to act all superior, maybe try some attention to detail.

Last edited:

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I think 1M is pushing it for a UFA with an average of 25 points a season(and yeah I'm also surprised that he is that productive).

Would have been no biggie to give him 3x3 or 2x4. No NMC though, that was crazy.

Wait what? He hasn't put up those kind of numbers for five years. He's only topped 25 points twice (came close a couple of times early in his career). He's a lot closer to Eric Gryba in terms of productivity these days.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The facts and logic comment was made as a shot at posters critical of Chia. Not just the one move. Is it that difficult to follow a conversation?

It's a condescending and incorrect statement.
Much like "figure it out son".

We should have been cup contenders. Instead, we're bottom 5.
Is that what you had in mind?

Also, "rocket appliances"?
If you're going to act all superior, maybe some attention to detail.

No no, I did read the thread and I see a number of posters complaining about Russel but somehow think that getting Hamonic at the cost Calgary payed for him would be an improvement over Russell. Hence my jab at your facts and logic statement.

Yes we should be cup contenders, but the TEAM fell flat on it's face to start the year. Blaming one individual rather than the group as a whole is just silly. A whopping 2 players (Nuge and Nurse) look better than last year.

"Rocket appliances" is a joke that clearly went over your head... son :)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Wait what? He hasn't put up those kind of numbers for five years. He's only topped 25 points twice (came close a couple of times early in his career). He's a lot closer to Eric Gryba in terms of productivity these days.

Not sure what you're talking about here. He paced for that(missed some games) 2 seasons ago(not 5), and was above that number by a noteworthy margin in the 2 years prior(also not 5 years ago in either case).

He is also on pace for that mark so far this year. I think it's pretty easy to argue that last year was the outlier here.

You've highlighted my initial point fairly well though. Comparing Russell to Eric Gryba is outright insulting. In every way.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
One of the worst things about the nhl, maybe other leagues too, is how players like Russell get overpaid at UFA and all the GMs just accept it and play along like it's a given.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
One of the worst things about the nhl, maybe other leagues too, is how players like Russell get overpaid at UFA and all the GMs just accept it and play along like it's a given.

Did they though?

One of the worst things about the contract is that it's tough to argue anyone else would offer anything close to what we did. Chia was extra nice to Kris basically just because.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Not sure what you're talking about here. He paced for that(missed some games) 2 seasons ago(not 5), and was above that number by a noteworthy margin in the 2 years prior(also not 5 years ago in either case).

Well you said "averages 25 points" I took that to mean "has actually scored 25 points".

He is also on pace for that mark so far this year. I think it's pretty easy to argue that last year was the outlier here.

I doubt he gets there if he keeps getting third pairing minutes.

You've highlighted my initial point fairly well though. Comparing Russell to Eric Gryba is outright insulting. In every way.

Meh. They're both third pairing D. At least no one pumps Gryba up to be something he isn't.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Did David Schlemko face similar competition as his teams top pairing last season?
Schlemko's career average icetime is somewhere near four minutes less than Russell's. Russell also has that knack for blocking all of those shots.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
No no, I did read the thread and I see a number of posters complaining about Russel but somehow think that getting Hamonic at the cost Calgary payed for him would be an improvement over Russell. Hence my jab at your facts and logic statement.

Yes we should be cup contenders, but the TEAM fell flat on it's face to start the year. Blaming one individual rather than the group as a whole is just silly. A whopping 2 players (Nuge and Nurse) look better than last year.

"Rocket appliances" is a joke that clearly went over your head... son :)

The comment you responded to wasn't based on the Hamonic stuff.
I explained that. If you still can't grasp that it's your issue.
Chia is the guy who put the team together. Ignoring holes that existed last season. It's absolutely fair to blame him. The reasons should be clear by now. If you can't see them, you don't want to see them.

Sure, it was a joke.
The son comment again...
Does it make you feel big?

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Did David Schlemko face similar competition as his teams top pairing last season?
Schlemko's career average icetime is somewhere near four minutes less than Russell's. Russell also has that knack for blocking all of those shots.

Just because he played those minutes doesn't mean he was any good doing it. See: Andrew MacDonald who routinely played 20/minutes a night in Philly but is terrible and has a bad contract. Remember Andrew Ference playing 20+ minutes? or Schultz leading the team in TOI?

It's a bad contract, it's okay to say.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Just because he played those minutes doesn't mean he was any good doing it. See: Andrew MacDonald who routinely played 20/minutes a night in Philly but is terrible and has a bad contract. Remember Andrew Ference playing 20+ minutes? or Schultz leading the team in TOI?

He made $3.9M last year and had a good year. What were you expecting to pay him? Like tell him he's worth $2.5M and make him take that amount?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This teams farm system is terrible. Previous management left Chia with nothing. His drafting has improved but we have nothing to plug into our lineup because of previous management. I think the Oilers just need to focus on improving their depth and stick to smaller deals to fill out holes around their center core.
Chia's first two trades saw him trading away 5 draft picks from the 2015 draft who could potentially be on the farm team if we taken Eriksson-Ek as was rumored, that alone makes our farm team substantially better, let's pretend that we weren't smart enough to have taken Aho or Carlo and settle for someone more middle of the row like Paul Bittner, that is two players you can plug into the AHL top 6, then with the remaining 3 picks we could quite foreseeably have one useful AHL roleplayer with an outside shot at the NHL out of the bunch. Our AHL squad might not be amazing, but I don't think anyone would be complaining about the upcoming youth there if those picks weren't traded. As far as AHL success a lot of that is determined by the quality of vet signings made and having 4 rookie D with no AHL experience(now 3 since Paigin bought out) doesn't tend to lend to being successful.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The comment you responded to wasn't based on the Hamonic stuff.
I explained that. If you still can't grasp that it's your issue.
Chia is the guy who put the team together. Ignoring holes that existed last season. It's absolutely fair to blame him. The reasons should be clear by now. If you can't see them, you don't want to see them.

Sure, it was a joke.
The son comment again...
Does it make you feel big?

Yes Chia told Klefbom to go out there and play like trash, I bet he also told Talbot to go back to being a back up caliber goalie.

You can blame the GM all you want, but when 90% of the team took a step back from last year, that is on the players. He is not on the ice playing the game now is he?

The Sekera hole was not being filled, what #3D is going to sign a 1 year contract that we would have needed him to? This is on the team defense to step up, only Nurse and Larsson have been up to the task.

Eberle for Strome filled 1 hole, 3C, and created a hole in the top 6 RW position. We had Strome, Caggs, Slepy, Pulju, Kassian, Khaira, etc. competing for that spot. Internal growth is something every team needs to have, especially when you have 2 players taking up such a mssive portion of the cap. Not one of these players stepped up. Not one. McDavid made Patty Maroon in to almost a 30 goal scorer, and not one of these players took the next step.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Yeah, his Cap hit is fine, the NMC isn't great, but yeah, the treatment he gets as a player is just stupid.

In my opinion, he's a fine third pairing D who can sub into the second pair when needed.
He isn't without value.

I don't feel like $4 million for a third pair D is fine. The term and NMC compound the problem drastically. Especially with the cap issues we'll be facing.
Assuming Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Benning are keepers, Russell is taking up the cap space and roster spot that is required for a right shot, puck moving D. In my opinion this is a huge need.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

And we come fill circle again. How did MacDonald's Flyers do that year?

Nobody said its a great contract but when you look around and see what the alternatives were at that very time, it's a low cost, low risk deal. A 900k raise on his previous deal.

And as if people haven't had enough of this debate since we signed him last year, but there is more to determining how a player is performing than his corsi rating.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Yes Chia told Klefbom to go out there and play like trash, I bet he also told Talbot to go back to being a back up caliber goalie.

You can blame the GM all you want, but when 90% of the team took a step back from last year, that is on the players. He is not on the ice playing the game now is he?

The Sekera hole was not being filled, what #3D is going to sign a 1 year contract that we would have needed him to? This is on the team defense to step up, only Nurse and Larsson have been up to the task.

Eberle for Strome filled 1 hole, 3C, and created a hole in the top 6 RW position. We had Strome, Caggs, Slepy, Pulju, Kassian, Khaira, etc. competing for that spot. Internal growth is something every team needs to have, especially when you have 2 players taking up such a mssive portion of the cap. Not one of these players stepped up. Not one. McDavid made Patty Maroon in to almost a 30 goal scorer, and not one of these players took the next step.

Does being called son make you feel small? Seems like it's bugging you a lot... No need to be upset my man, it's only a few words.

He knew Sekera was out. He should have aquired some sort of cover. Klefbom is struggling trying to fill that void as the only D capable of any offence. Chia said our D wasn't quite good enough in the playoffs last year and did nothing to improve it.

Talbot is struggling and on pace for a similar number of games played as last season. Again, this was addressed as an issue and yet didn't bring in a reliable back up.

Not one of those guys you listed was a safe bet to be productive top 6 wingers and we needed 2.

We didn't win anything last season despite getting great performances from some fringe guys and being carried by amazing performances from McDavid, Talbot, Draisaitl.

Rather than recognize the deficiencies, Chia counted on absolutely everything going right.
In McDavid's last cheap year.
The team is worse than it should be but I don't see a cup contender at all. Outside of McDavid, Drai and Talbot outperforming last year.

As far as the son thing, I just assume people that address others that way are compensating for something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad