Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In terms of available D, I basically just assumed Chia would be looking to deal with Vegas.

I mean, Methot went for what, a 2020 2nd? Isn't that better than signing Russell for 4(!) years.
Vegas is in our division. Were we willing to get caught with our dick in our hands if McPhee wants to play hardball?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Those goals still count. How many points have the Sedins or Iginla put up against garbage oilers teams over the years?

That's fine, but the question is: how are you replacing that offense? because the answer seems to be wishin' and hopin'.

Oh they for sure count, but just take a look at what teams he was putting up points against.

Jordan Eberle 2016-17 Game Log | Hockey-Reference.com

Calgary, which we crushed all year, Colorado which everyone crushed, and Vancouver, which once again everyone crushed. He managed to hit 20 goals with 12 coming against non playoff teams, 4 against Calgary, and 4 against playoff teams. Wow... what an absolute beast.

Reactions: sepHF

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Oh they for sure count, but just take a look at what teams he was putting up points against.

Calgary, which we crushed all year, Colorado which everyone crushed, and Vancouver, which once again everyone crushed. He managed to hit 20 goals with 12 coming against non playoff teams, 4 against Calgary, and 4 against playoff teams. Wow... what an absolute beast.

I'd actually be curious to see that kind of goal analysis done for a couple prior years as well. There's a difference between scoring in easy games vs tight checking 1st goal wins kind of games. I know I have my opinion on what the results would be... that said though, every player will score more against weaker teams. Just something I've been curious about since the "Eberle only scores against..." narrative popped up. My opinion is he's definitely better off in the east.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
20 goal/50 point season during the worst season of his career while playing on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit is still pretty good. As for the playoffs there is no defending his performance, he was really bad at both ends of the rink. The thing is that it takes 82 games to get to the playoffs and Eberle is a good regular season player that helped us get into the playoffs.

I know that this isn't exactly the be-all and end-all of stats, but quite frankly I don't really agree with this sentiment for the main reason that Eberle had exactly 0 Game Winning Goals last season.

I decided to run the numbers on the types of points he scored in each game, and to his credit, 6 of his goals were game-tying goals, of which we wound up winning 4 of those games. Half of his total goals (10) were scored when we were already leading. He scored our first goal 4 times. He scored 2 empty net goals.

Of his 20 goals, 12 of them came against Vancouver, Calgary, and Colorado (evenly split at 4 per team). Of the remaining 8 goals, three of them were against playoff teams (2 against PIT, 1 against NSH). Counting Calgary, 7/20 of Eberle's goals were against teams that made the playoffs. Other than Calgary and Vancouver, Eberle did not score against a Pacific Division team.

Assists fare a bit better, as 14/31 of Eberle's assists were against teams that made playoffs. Eberle definitely performed better as a playmaker against Pacific Division teams, putting up 13 assists in 29 divisional games. Eberle certainly had a big impact in game #26 in particular, with 3 points against the Ducks in a 3-2 OT victory, so I'll give him direct credit for those points. Overall, including the power play and empty net, 13/31 of his assists were primary assists, which isn't a terrible ratio.

He's definitely not a bad player by any means, but he's streaky - he had 8 different stretches of 5 games of more without scoring a goal, including one span of 19 Games (Games 29 - 46 inclusive) without scoring a goal. As others have mentioned, four of his goals (20% of his total, that is) came after we clinched the playoffs.

Jordan Eberle, in my eyes, is most effective as a "win more" player - once you have established an offensive presence (hopefully with a goal or two on the board), he can help you extend that lead. There's a place for this type of player, but I question whether the playoffs in the Pacific is that sort of place.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So any guesses why MacTavish was in Rochester tonight? We figured Chia was doing some advanced scouting the other night, but it there something brewing there?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So any guesses why MacTavish was in Rochester tonight? We figured Chia was doing some advanced scouting the other night, but it there something brewing there?
MacTavish was probably lost.

Do the Sabres have any 20-25 point wingers they are trying to dump for a first rounder?

Reactions: Chainshot

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
In all seriousness, I have no idea because they need a lot of help in all areas. The Oilers are looking for a defenseman right now according to the media though.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In all honesty, I have no idea because they need a lot of help in all areas. The Oilers are looking for a defenseman right now according to the media though.

So is Buffalo which had me wondering why they would be scouting the Amerks. Maybe he was there to see Bingo?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Anyone else see were trying to trade RNH for a rookie or 2? #nhlfarmteam

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Maybe they like Guhle. Right shot D, born in Edmonton.

He is Buffalos only high end defense prospect. Easy to see why they’d be interested but I can’t see Buffalo willingly moving him at this point. Everyone in the org keeps talking about letting him develop so that his first recall is his only recall.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Considering the cap situation we are in next year, I imagine the bottom six wingers will be flushed out and replaced, a third pairing d man added and yet again our season will ride on the fact that JP and Yamo are NHL ready.

Guys better get used to this roster because I don’t think shit all is going to change.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Some people ignore beetle did not hit 20 until the last 2 games of the year and got goose eggs in the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad