Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Yes Chia told Klefbom to go out there and play like trash, I bet he also told Talbot to go back to being a back up caliber goalie.

You can blame the GM all you want, but when 90% of the team took a step back from last year, that is on the players. He is not on the ice playing the game now is he?

The Sekera hole was not being filled, what #3D is going to sign a 1 year contract that we would have needed him to? This is on the team defense to step up, only Nurse and Larsson have been up to the task.

Eberle for Strome filled 1 hole, 3C, and created a hole in the top 6 RW position. We had Strome, Caggs, Slepy, Pulju, Kassian, Khaira, etc. competing for that spot. Internal growth is something every team needs to have, especially when you have 2 players taking up such a mssive portion of the cap. Not one of these players stepped up. Not one. McDavid made Patty Maroon in to almost a 30 goal scorer, and not one of these players took the next step.

Does being called son make you feel small? Seems like it's bugging you a lot... No need to be upset my man, it's only a few words.

We needed Russel this season with Sekera being out long term and Nurse still being a question mark. The smart move would have been to overpay Russel for 2 seasons with a NMC in the 1st year and a 10 team list in the second year. Something like 4.5/2 years. Eberle didn't need to ne moved until this off season which might have increased his value due to him only having 1 year left and the cap going up. We could have signed DD as our 3C for cheap, he did well here. Strome seems to be improving each game and we can't fully judge the trade until the season is over but if Strome can get over 40 points on the third line then the deal is more balanced then we want to believe.

Reactions: McNuge

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
He knew Sekera was out. He should have aquired some sort of cover. Klefbom is struggling trying to fill that void as the only D capable of any offence. Chia said our D wasn't quite good enough in the playoffs last year and did nothing to improve it.
Talbot is struggling and on pace for a similar number of games played as last season. Again, this was addressed as an issue and yet didn't bring in a reliable back up.
Not one of those guys you listed was a safe bet to be productive top 6 wingers and we needed 2.
We didn't win anything last season despite getting great performances from some fringe guys and being carried by amazing performances from McDavid, Talbot, Draisaitl.
Rather than recognize the deficiencies, Chia counted on absolutely everything going right.
In McDavid's last cheap year.
The team is worse than it should be but I don't see a cup contender at all.

As far as the son thing, I just assume people that address others that way are compensating for something.

Like I said, which #3D was available to fill that hole? I don't disagree that it needed to be filled. But who was available to fill it? There was no UFA's and which #3D got traded within the last year? You can have as much demand as you want but if there is no supply then you are out of luck.

I don't like LB and I agree that a back up was needed.

You are right not one of them was a sure bet to fill that top 6RW position, but you would hope/ expect one of them to step up. This was a position that internal growth needed to fill. I think it would have been filled ok with either one of Caggs or Slepy if they weren't battling injuries to start the year, Pulju and Kassian also had a shot to fill it to start the year but we know that went.

As far as the bolded goes, you need to lighten up. It is friendly banter no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Like I said, which #3D was available to fill that hole? I don't disagree that it needed to be filled. But who was available to fill it? There was no UFA's and which #3D got traded within the last year? You can have as much demand as you want but if there is no supply then you are out of luck.

I don't like LB and I agree that a back up was needed.

You are right not one of them was a sure bet to fill that top 6RW position, but you would hope/ expect one of them to step up. This was a position that internal growth needed to fill. I think it would have been filled ok with either one of Caggs or Slepy if they weren't battling injuries to start the year, Pulju and Kassian also had a shot to fill it to start the year but we know that went.

As far as the bolded goes, you need to lighten up. It is friendly banter no need to get your panties in a bunch.

It's condescending and disrespectful and that's how it was intended. Just like you're last comment here.
I'm done with this.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

Or hang fire on trading Eberle for one season and you don't have to hope a bottom sixer magically starts to produce.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Or hang fire on trading Eberle for one season and you don't have to hope a bottom sixer magically starts to produce.

Yep. Worst case scenario we dump Eberle next season for a bottom sixer with some upside... Like... We did. A year early. For no reason.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

Eberle didn't produce much last year in the regular season. He lost his PP job to f***in Letestu because he couldn't shoot the puck to save his life. He also did absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He failed with McDavid to the point of Drai having to be on his line the entire year after the first 30 or so games.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I love Eberle, he is the reason why I started following this team. I wish him nothing but the best, but he played himself off the team IMO. Chia was not going to keep him after that playoff performance, he was 2 steps behind every single play.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Blake Comeau looks like a good realistic target... He is a pending UFA, would be pretty cheap to acquire and would solidify the Bottom 6.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Eberle didn't produce much last year in the regular season. He lost his PP job to ****in Letestu because he couldn't shoot the puck to save his life. He also did absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He failed with McDavid to the point of Drai having to be on his line the entire year after the first 30 or so games.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, I love Eberle, he is the reason why I started following this team. I wish him nothing but the best, but he played himself off the team IMO. Chia was not going to keep him after that playoff performance, he was 2 steps behind every single play.

Then Chia's an idiot to make decisions with long term implications based on tiny sample sizes.

The smart move would have been to keep him and hope he can contribute and create a bit more value, then send him away next summer when you actually need the cap room. Oh and don't burn off the cap savings by overpaying Russell.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Blake Comeau looks like a good realistic target... He is a pending UFA, would be pretty cheap to acquire and would solidify the Bottom 6.

SkeletalPerkyAddax-small.gif

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Then Chia's an idiot to make decisions with long term implications based on tiny sample sizes.

Tiny sample size? He was here for 2 years with Chia at the helm... In his first playoffs he fell flat. He was not going to be getting the same ice time and opportunity he had before McDavid because he was no longer one of the top dogs on the team. He wasn't producing nearly enough for the cap hit he had, and quite frankly with him not producing he was not doing much else. He was a disaster when it came to any defensive aspect of the game.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Eberle didn't produce much last year in the regular season. He lost his PP job to ****in Letestu because he couldn't shoot the puck to save his life. He also did absolutely nothing in the playoffs. He failed with McDavid to the point of Drai having to be on his line the entire year after the first 30 or so games.

20 goal/50 point season during the worst season of his career while playing on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit is still pretty good. As for the playoffs there is no defending his performance, he was really bad at both ends of the rink. The thing is that it takes 82 games to get to the playoffs and Eberle is a good regular season player that helped us get into the playoffs.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
20 goal/50 point season during the worst season of his career while playing on the 2nd line and 2nd PP unit is still pretty good. As for the playoffs there is no defending his performance, he was really bad at both ends of the rink. The thing is that it takes 82 games to get to the playoffs and Eberle is a good regular season player that helped us get into the playoffs.
He played like 30 games with mcdavid and on the top unit. They didn’t permanently break up Lucic McD Ebs until into January.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Tiny sample size? He was here for 2 years with Chia at the helm... In his first playoffs he fell flat. He was not going to be getting the same ice time and opportunity he had before McDavid because he was no longer one of the top dogs on the team. He wasn't producing nearly enough for the cap hit he had, and quite frankly with him not producing he was not doing much else. He was a disaster when it came to any defensive aspect of the game.

Yeah the playoffs are a tiny sample size. As for the rest, much of the same could be said about Lucic who isn't great defensively, puts up similar numbers and whose contract is even worse.

Point here is there was no pressing reason to move Eberle this year instead of next offseason.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He played like 30 games with mcdavid and on the top unit. They didn’t permanently break up Lucic McD Ebs until into January.

Eberle's numbered improved away from Mcdavid while Draisaitl's numbers improved with Mcdavid. We have zero natural RW's right now that can even come close to Eberle's worst season.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

As I said earlier he finished off the year with 4 goals in 2 games against one of the worst teams in the league who had nothing to play for. Without those goals he finishes the year with 16 goals, for a goal scorer that is not a very good stat line. He also played with McDavid for the first 30 or so games, and lost his first PP time because of his play. I wish it worked out with him, but I can't say I'm overly upset to see him go.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Yeah the playoffs are a tiny sample size. As for the rest, much of the same could be said about Lucic who isn't great defensively, puts up similar numbers and whose contract is even worse.

Lucic was never brought in to be a goal scorer... That was supposed to be Eberle. They play very different games. Lucic is also much better defensively, because you can only go up from having 0 defensive awareness.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Saying a guy's time is (just) up probably sounds like a cop-out. But, yeah, his time was up. I don't him miss him whatsoever. It's negligible whether he would be helping us right now. I guess some feel he would be. I 100% don't feel that way. He made my eyes bleed.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Lucic was never brought in to be a goal scorer... That was supposed to be Eberle. They play very different games. Lucic is also much better defensively, because you can only go up from having 0 defensive awareness.

So if Lucic isn't here to score (and his career averages aren't far off Eberle's) what are we paying him $6M a year for? Because you can get that other stuff a lot cheaper than that.

As fro Lucic being better defensively, he routinely makes plays that would have got Eberle crucified. His "backcheck" on Kessel in OT this year will be seared in my memory for a long time.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
As I said earlier he finished off the year with 4 goals in 2 games against one of the worst teams in the league who had nothing to play for. Without those goals he finishes the year with 16 goals, for a goal scorer that is not a very good stat line.

Those goals still count. How many points have the Sedins or Iginla put up against garbage oilers teams over the years?

He also played with McDavid for the first 30 or so games, and lost his first PP time because of his play. I wish it worked out with him, but I can't say I'm overly upset to see him go.

That's fine, but the question is: how are you replacing that offense? because the answer seems to be wishin' and hopin'.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
So if Lucic isn't here to score (and his career averages aren't far off Eberle's) what are we paying him $6M a year for? Because you can get that other stuff a lot cheaper than that.

As fro Lucic being better defensively, he routinely makes plays that would have got Eberle crucified. His "backcheck" on Kessel in OT this year will be seared in my memory for a long time.

You already know the answer to this... Kessel is also pretty damn fast I don't think anyone would have caught him at that point except maybe McDavid or Nurse.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
In terms of available D, I basically just assumed Chia would be looking to deal with Vegas.

I mean, Methot went for what, a 2020 2nd? Isn't that better than signing Russell for 4(!) years.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

The smart move would have been to keep him and hope he can contribute and create a bit more value, then send him away next summer when you actually need the cap room. Oh and don't burn off the cap savings by overpaying Russell.
Or he didn't want to risk the possibility of him struggling even more this season sabotaging whatever value he or his partner in crime Nugent-Hopkins had left.

There was also the possibility Connor McDavid's agent takes us to the cleaners like he had every opportunity to do. How does that effect our leverage in any deal where it's EVEN MORE blatantly obvious that we need his cap hit off of the books? There's also the Draisaitl scenario that you're so fond of. It was a risk to hold onto Eberle because it was becoming clear to everyone he was a dead man walking.

You may not like Strome but he's a young player who fills a necessary role and covers a significant amount of Eberle's production at a fraction of the price.

You may not like Russell, but as it's been reiterated over and over again, he was a cheap and calculated alternative to what was available on the market this summer. We didn't have the assets to get Hjalmarsson, nor were we willing to give up the futures for Hamonic. Demers? Expensive unknown garbage. What were the alternatives?

Reactions: McNuge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad