Rumor: Trade Rumours & Proposals | Would NYR Move Kreider? | Reinhart Unclaimed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
084.png
Not as an outlandish a claim as it may appear at face value, he was truly terrible last season, but based on pedigree and a long history of success I and many others assumed he would bounce back. He hasn't bounced back yet, I'm not sure how this season compares to last season as I haven't watched many Calgary games, but I know most Calgary fans have him as the 5th best d-man on the team not too dis-similar to our relationship with Russell who makes a pretty similar amount of money.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I think this team really should be looking at the potential of signing either of the Tkachev's out of the KHL after the season. Would be nice to hit a free jackpot on the Euroasia free market for once and I think either of these guys could end up solid NHLers. Would have to think the Oilers would be an enticing choice to either with the barren wings (not sure if the older Tkachev can play wing or just centre) and the guarantee of getting a chance with one of McDavid, Draisaitl, or RNH.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He sucks but trading for him would mean we wouldn't sign Russell and I'd take Hamonic over him. At least Hamonic had a decent year in 2015, that's more than Reinhart ever did for us.
So we would be paying Hamonic cause of 1 decent year which was in the past? Russell is better than him anyways.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Barzal's certainly had a great start to his NHL career so far, but I don't recall a lot of gnashing of teeth from this board in the 2 years following his draft...he was very good for sure, but certainly didn't set the WHL on fire and was tracking to be another oft-injured, soft skilled forward that the Oilers needed like they needed a hole in the head.

Like has been said, the Oilers mistake wasn't in giving up the opportunity to draft Barzal (who they apparently weren't going to draft anyway), it's in their mistaken belief that Griffin Reinhart was NHL-ready at any time, never mind in 2015 when Chiarelli boldly predicted he could be cracking their top 4. Without a doubt it's been Chiarelli's biggest mistake in his 2.5 years as Oilers GM.

I was pretty disappointed when they didn't take him and always liked him, i just don't dwell and bitch and moan about things i can't change. Taking Barzal was a no brainer IMO.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was pretty disappointed when they didn't take him and always liked him, i just don't dwell and ***** and moan about things i can't change. Taking Barzal was a no brainer IMO.
If we're really going to discuss this, I'd much rather have Boeser or Connor (not to say I wouldn't take Barzal on my team). This team needs goalscorers much more than they need a guy like Barzal. They have enough over-passers already on this team and really need guys with great shots who are willing to shoot.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Judging by the look on Chia's face at the draft I'm convinced we had a deal in place for Dougie Hamilton but got f***et at the last minute. That point he got desperate and with very little time to prepare went with Greens love Reinhart. I was ok at the time with the trade but now I want to puke as our team would have been way different if we got Dougie. Maybe Hall doesn't get traded. Not that we don't need Larson but maybe there was another lesser trade. Or we kept the picks.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Judging by the look on Chia's face at the draft I'm convinced we had a deal in place for Dougie Hamilton but got ****et at the last minute. That point he got desperate and with very little time to prepare went with Greens love Reinhart. I was ok at the time with the trade but now I want to puke as our team would have been way different if we got Dougie. Maybe Hall doesn't get traded. Not that we don't need Larson but maybe there was another lesser trade. Or we kept the picks.
We know he did. Oilers had put in the better offer Bruins said no

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think this team really should be looking at the potential of signing either of the Tkachev's out of the KHL after the season. Would be nice to hit a free jackpot on the Euroasia free market for once and I think either of these guys could end up solid NHLers. Would have to think the Oilers would be an enticing choice to either with the barren wings (not sure if the older Tkachev can play wing or just centre) and the guarantee of getting a chance with one of McDavid, Draisaitl, or RNH.

I agree. Just looking at his statline over the last couple of years, he's roughly good for 0.8ppg+ [at least in KHL] and that's impressive considering his stature. Given that the league is about speed, his size shouldn't be that big of an issue if he can think the game well enough.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Think Chia just needs to keep to smaller hockey deals or trades which improve the future.

I dont see the point of a big trade to gain something short term. Thats why I dont see trades for players like Pacioretty/Simmonds as feasible. In order to get players like that, they are going to need to trade JP, Yamamoto, Bear, Jones, Benson 1sts etc. With the Oilers record this year, we dont need a player for half a year plus one more year. This could change in a few months depending on how the season goes, but even if we are close to a playoff spot near the trade deadline, I am not sure its wise to go for it. This season has shown that the team has a lot of holes, and more times than not, the big rental player doesnt push a team to a stanley cup anyway.

As far as RNH goes, until Drai starts playing 2C, I dont see how this team can trade him. I guess they could if they were getting back a 1RW. I dont see it happening though. I dont think the Oilers have a lot of trade chips unless they are willing to trade RNH, JP, Yamamoto, etc but I dont think they should.

This teams farm system is terrible. Previous management left Chia with nothing. His drafting has improved but we have nothing to plug into our lineup because of previous management. I think the Oilers just need to focus on improving their depth and stick to smaller deals to fill out holes around their center core.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Oh man, if we traded our 1st and 2nd this year, and 2nd next year for Hamonic and sat where we currently sit (quite likely given that Hamonic isn't really good) this place would be losing their minds about how we pissed away a lottery pick and our entire future.

I’ve been mad since the draft that we didn’t get Hamonic, boy was I wrong.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
He sucks but trading for him would mean we wouldn't sign Russell and I'd take Hamonic over him. At least Hamonic had a decent year in 2015, that's more than Reinhart ever did for us.
Lol... retain Russell (who has been much better than Hamonic this year) and keep multiple high draft picks... Or trade more than what Calgary did to get Hamonic... Yeah, no thank you.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
We know he did. Oilers had put in the better offer Bruins said no

I don't know why everyone assumes the Edmonton package was better. Like I get that there may have been a grudge there, sure. But I take the higher pick in the first round every time over a higher second round pick. If I'm Boston, I would take the Calgary deal too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't know why everyone assumes the Edmonton package was better. Like I get that there may have been a grudge there, sure. But I take the higher pick in the first round every time over a higher second round pick. If I'm Boston, I would take the Calgary deal too.
Our deal also included another 2nd round pick. They also used that 15th overall pick to go OFF the board for a guy that no one had ranked in the top 30.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Our deal also included another 2nd round pick. They also used that 15th overall pick to go OFF the board for a guy that no one had ranked in the top 30.

From what I've looked up the Oilers deal had a lower first pick, a higher second pick, and a lower third pick than Calgary's. Regardless of what they did with the pick, I still want to be as high up in the first round as possible, especially if there's a guy there that I really want. So I don't really blame Boston for taking the deal they did.

The fact that they asked for Nurse was kind of ridiculous, but still.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
From what I've looked up the Oilers deal had a lower first pick, a higher second pick, and a lower third pick than Calgary's. Regardless of what they did with the pick, I still want to be as high up in the first round as possible, especially if there's a guy there that I really want. So I don't really blame Boston for taking the deal they did.

The fact that they asked for Nurse was kind of ridiculous, but still.
I mean the difference between the 15th and 16th pick does matter when you are going that far off the board. Especially with a better 2nd and a 3rd added

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mean the difference between the 15th and 16th pick does matter when you are going that far off the board. Especially with a better 2nd and a 3rd added

It wasn't a better third. The second pick was 12 spots higher, third pick five spots lower. So in total the Bruins would have gained six spots taking the Edmonton deal, with a lower first pick.

I'm not saying your argument is wrong, I'm just saying it wasn't as ridiculous a decision as people make it out to be. The ridiculous part was that it would take Nurse to convince them to take the Edmonton deal.

Who knows, maybe Boston let it slip to Calgary who they wanted with that pick, and then Calgary threatened to take that player if they went with the Edmonton deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad