Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's a little funny and hypocritical that when Dubinsky held off from playing with us because he didn't like the money he was being offered, he was called almost everything under the sun but that Cally wants to leave this team for a few dollars more, he's anything but what Dubi was.

Dubinsky got unnecessary flak too before he was chased out of town unfairly too.

Same with Stepan and his holding out party. He's a no good soft 2nd line center again.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah that Brooks article is weird. There are so many versions of it. And there are no references to when the updates were updated, or where the info comes from. You get the jist, he has the Rangers PR people on one line, and Barlett's PR people on the other line. But there was more info to come out yesterday on this, then there was combined all season long.

Last edited:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
A little less on the first number, a little more on the second number, with a paid condo in San Fran. for 5 years.

Your company offered you a more than 50% raise with free housing and you said no?

Maybe you should get an agent to instruct you on these things.

Not everyone has such a fear of moving... You know. Especially those who live on the road most of the year anyway

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Cally? Yes or quite close anyway.

If he was still playing the money he would get would not be significant at that point.

Speculation. Maybe he is still playing. Maybe the cap is huge. Maybe he is still productive and he gets another 3yr 10 million contract. You don't know these things.

Your wrong about a lot of what you post. That's ok. Everyone is entitled to their view of things. But what you say, you say in a way that is a matter of fact. And matter of factly, your wrong about a lot of what you say.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Usually teams don't allow other teams a window to speak to their pending free agents. San Jose did with Clowe. I don't remember it happening in the NHL before that.

Brent Burns signed an extension with San Jose immediately upon being traded there, I suspect that deal was brokered before the trade went through.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Speculation. Maybe he is still playing. Maybe the cap is huge. Maybe he is still productive and he gets another 3yr 10 million contract. You don't know these things.

Your wrong about a lot of what you post. That's ok. Everyone is entitled to their view of things. But what you say, you say in a way that is a matter of fact. And matter of factly, your wrong about a lot of what you say.

I would say it's far more likely he never sees another significant contract.

And cally sure as hell can not depend on playing another 10 years. Take the money when you can.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Your company offered you a more than 50% raise with free housing and you said no?

Maybe you should get an agent to instruct you on these things.

Not everyone has such a fear of moving... You know. Especially those who live on the road most of the year anyway

Not everyone is a slave to their money

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's a little funny and hypocritical that when Dubinsky held off from playing with us because he didn't like the money he was being offered, he was called almost everything under the sun but that Cally wants to leave this team for a few dollars more, he's anything but what Dubi was.

Go back and look at my post history. I defended Dubi. I still defend him when people suggest that the "hold out" was the reason he was traded.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not really, no.

Instead of having to work for x number of years here, I could have worked y number of years there, have a nice early retirement and go live elsewhere.

That's not what I said. Cally has an opportunity to set himself and subsequent generations for life. You said you'd have to retire a couple of years later. Not nearly the same thing.

Also, your company is very, very, very, extremely, incredibly lucky to have you.

EDIT: and if I was your coworker and your willingness to take 50% less drove down average salaries for the rest of us, I would not be very happy with you.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
not even gonna lie, the actual possibility of Cally being traded has me legitimately upset.

it's just so wrong. the guy is THE Ranger

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Go back and look at my post history. I defended Dubi. I still defend him when people suggest that the "hold out" was the reason he was traded.

No, it wasn't the sole reason.

Him not producing at the level he was expected to do is what did him in.

Now, about Cally..

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Because after those 5 years that's being offered, he's done with the league?

He could be done tomorrow. He could be done a year from now. How many times has it been said on this board that people don't think he will hold up physically for 7 years. You think some team is going to offer him 6 mil per year when he's 34?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
No, it wasn't the sole reason.

Him not producing at the level he was expected to do is what did him in.

Now, about Cally..

No, it wasn't a reason at all. Did you forget that Sather gave Dubi another contract after that one, to the tune of 4 years and 16+ mil? But yeah, I'm sure your right and Sather held a grudge.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
That's not what I said. Cally has an opportunity to set himself and subsequent generations for life. You said you'd have to retire a couple of years later. Not nearly the same thing.

Also, your company is very, very, very, extremely, incredibly lucky to have you.

Can't tell if serious or facetious, but it wasn't one position available as there was a branch opening out West with multiple positions being available.

Also, who knew $30 million was chump change and his playing days will be over when that contract is up.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
He could be done tomorrow. He could be done a year from now. How many times has it been said on this board that people don't think he will hold up physically for 7 years. You think some team is going to offer him 6 mil per year when he's 34?

Because he won't get another contract for a year or two?

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Can Cally depend on being healthy and still a good enough player to get another contract at age 34?

So him and his agents try to succotash a team in getting paid?

That just makes me want him away from this team that much more.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Not sure that it makes a whole lot of sense to go on debating this with you, ImIdaho. Obviously you have a different take.

But shouldn't the fact that everyone else currently engaged in the debate disagrees prove the point that most people - most likely including Callahan - don't share your perspective?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
So him and his agents try to succotash a team in getting paid?

That just makes me want him away from this team that much more.

If teams are willing to pay it, why is he wrong to want to take it?

"I have no use for 12 million dollars" -never going to be said by anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad