Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If he's not greedy, than why not agree to the $30 million that's being offered?

its called negotiating. I think he signs. Pavelski is a great comparison. I believe Cally when he says his heart is here.

btw are we forgetting Girardi is not done? we assume that will get done it seems.

I do think both sign soon. By Fridays roster freeze

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
If you could make 42 mil or 30 mil, which would you choose? If you had an agent, whom you hired to negotiate a contract for you and is advising you not to sign for 30 mil, what would you do? If you had a union that will pressure you to sign for the most money you can, what would you do?

For all we know, Cally is willing to bend off of 7/42 and Sather isn't willing to meet him halfway. It's incredibly petty and arrogant to think you know anything about the situation and to judge Callahan's character based on it.

Me? I take the $30 million. I remain a captain on this team and I also become one of if not the face for the franchise for the remainder of my contract.

Sure, I'll get paid more elsewhere but I probably end up with less responsibilities there, too.

I especially don't gloss over the fact with whom the franchise was contemplating on putting that C on.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Me? I take the $30 million. I remain a captain on this team and I also become one of if not the face for the franchise for the remainder of my contract.

Sure, I'll get paid more elsewhere but I probably end up with less responsibilities there, too.

I especially don't gloss over the fact with whom the franchise was contemplating on putting that C on.

Sure you do, because you've been in that situation before and know you would respond to it. Really easy to say you'd take significantly less money when you aren't actually faced with that decision.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
The character degradation begins.

I never understood it.

"I hate the guy now because he's getting traded, **** him!"

Even when he's traded, I'll still be wearing my Callahan jersey around campus. I don't see why a guy getting traded means you have to hate him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I have absolutely no problem with Callahan going for as much cash as he can - he absolutely should.

I value everything he's brought to the team as a player and a person.

...and I think the Rangers move closer to becoming a perennial Stanley Cup contender like Chicago by trading him rather than keeping him, on virtually any deal.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

This whole post is laughable.

I'm sure you know what it's like to be an NHL'er in negotiations for a new contract, with a family :laugh:.

I have absolutely no problem with Callahan wanting a ridiculous contract, I do have a problem being the team that gives him that contract.

And, no, you wouldn't take the 30 million over the 42 million.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Does a "retirement fund" of $25m vs. $30M really make a difference. He's set for life financially either way.

42 vs 30 is 3/7ths more. That's an awful lot of money to not care about.

Like I said. It's his last contract. If other teams are offering him 12 million more dollars he would be an absolute fool to not take it

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Does a "retirement fund" of $25m vs. $30M really make a difference. He's set for life financially either way.

For people who don't have anywhere near that kind of money, probably not, but we aren't in his situation. And it's more like 30 mil vs 42 mil, because someone will give him 7 years. His career could be over tomorrow. I don't blame him for wanting to get the most he can. Most people would do the same thing in his situation, including everyone here on their high horse.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't blame Callahan not buying into the hometown discount BS.

As a player, why should I give a discount to a team that has a poor resemblance of roster building over the years? Especially a team that drastically overpays for free agents, yet can't pay one of their own, home-grown players?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks wrote last night that none of the teams given permission to speak with Bartlett indicated they were going to 7 and that sentence is gone from the updated story.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Sure you do, because you've been in that situation before and know you would respond to it. Really easy to say you'd take significantly less money when you aren't actually faced with that decision.

Not for that much money, but I was offered better pay in my employment if I moved elsewhere, and the main criteria for me not going elsewhere was because it involved me moving elsewhere.

Also, unlike Cally, my employer wasn't bringing up negatives like Sather surely must have with Cally. His point totals and injury history had to have been brought up.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
The difference between the 42 and 30 mil deal isn't far off from his entire nhl earnings this far. (19 mil).

Id say that money is extremely significant to him

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
No one in their right mind would turn down millions of dollars. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Callahan is doing. If he can get the money, good for him. 99.9% of us would do the same thing.

I'm glad the Rangers are letting other teams talk to him, if they get him to agree to a contract that means we get more in the trade, right?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Not for that much money, but I was offered better pay in my employment if I moved elsewhere, and the main criteria for me not going elsewhere was because it involved me moving elsewhere.

Also, unlike Cally, my employer wasn't bringing up negatives like Sather surely must have with Cally. His point totals and injury history had to have been brought up.

So because you didn't want to move means cally should lose out on 12 million dollars. K

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Good for you. I'm sure the difference in pay wasn't anywhere close to what Callahan is looking at. And these players are used to moving around. It's part of the job. He's a Rochester boy who moved to Canada as a teenager to follow his dream of playing in the NHL. He's got the rest of his life after he retires to live wherever he wants. This is his one and only chance to cash in.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
So because you didn't want to move means cally should lose out on 12 million dollars. K

It's a little funny and hypocritical that when Dubinsky held off from playing with us because he didn't like the money he was being offered, he was called almost everything under the sun but that Cally wants to leave this team for a few dollars more, he's anything but what Dubi was.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Usually teams don't allow other teams a window to speak to their pending free agents. San Jose did with Clowe. I don't remember it happening in the NHL before that.

It seems to happen more often in football. I like it. It's empowering to the player, and its beneficial to both sides. Go see what you can get, and come back and let us know.

acouple things can happen

1) he decides the options aren't to his liking, either money or term, or teams willing to meet the money/term. Decides for what is being offered he prefers to make the best deal with current team.

2) he finds a match with another team, and that team tries to hammer a deal with the rangers and the player has his deal, his location, and his old team gets much more value then as a rental.

3) he finds a match with another team, but the rangers can't agree on compensation. Agent tries to find another location which is a match, and they try to repeat option (2).

4) he find a match with another team, but the rangers can't agree on compensation with any possible suitor. Callahan decides I won't resign with any team until July 1st. The Rangers then know what Callahan's plan is and decide whether they trade him as rental or keep him for playoffs and let him walk.

I think this is a very proactive move. Also I think this is a negotiating tactic. To create stir, to create the dynamics, both logistically and emotionally for Callahan to have to deal with, am I really going to leave? This puts both sides on notice, and forces them to face these decisions now, and everything that comes with it. The feelings, the reality of it, the fall out. It's like getting a glimpse into the future, but being able to decide before it happens swiftly, what do we really want.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Brooks wrote last night that none of the teams given permission to speak with Bartlett indicated they were going to 7 and that sentence is gone from the updated story.

Good to know there might be GMs stupider than our own....

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
It's a little funny and hypocritical that when Dubinsky held off from playing with us because he didn't like the money he was being offered, he was called almost everything under the sun but that Cally wants to leave this team for a few dollars more, he's anything but what Dubi was.

Hold outs are a different beast. Because it often affects the players production that season as well.

But did I have a problem with Dubi wanting more money? Absolutely not

And it amuses me that you refer to 12 million (nearly what cally has made in his entire career thus far) as "a few dollars"

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009

Dubinsky was restricted and had no leverage. 12 million is more than a few dollars.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Good for you. I'm sure the difference in pay wasn't anywhere close to what Callahan is looking at. And these players are used to moving around. It's part of the job. He's a Rochester boy who moved to Canada as a teenager to follow his dream of playing in the NHL. He's got the rest of his life after he retires to live wherever he wants. This is his one and only chance to cash in.

Seriously. The equivalent would be if you were making $100K and your boss offered you $140K if you moved.

Oh - and that extra $40K would also be enough that an entire extra generation of your family would be set for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad