Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
So after reading through 10 pages of this thread, I don't see how Callahan isn't traded at this point.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Rangers are a mediocre-slightly above average team with Callahan and Girardi.

Its not like they just won the Cup. The key is to build a sustained contender like Boston, not a Cinderella team like the 2012 Devils or the 2010 Flyers.

Keeping Callahan and Girardi for the cap hit and term pretty much eliminates any chance the Rangers develop into an annual contender.

They didnt have a 1st or 2nd rounder last year in a very strong draft. Hartford is really thin. They need to replace Callahan with a younger, cheaper version.

I mean, come on. Callahan has 9 friggin goals in 40 games of a walk year. Chicago doesnt win the Cup last year if they didnt unload Byfuglien, Brower, Niemi, Vetsteeg, Campbell and Ladd after the 2010 Cup.

Look at those names. On par or better than Callahan. Not an easy pill to swallow for Hawks fans or Bowman, but they had to, and three years later they won another Cup.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Callahan isnt durable. Injuries just dont go away. Guys who are injury prone dont just magically become durable as they hit their 30s. Chances are, if you were injury prone as a 20-something, you'll be even more injury prone in your 30s.

Its called getting old. It sucks. But its a fact of life, not some theory. His TOI has been cut by almost four minutes this year. Does he look explosive? Does he look rested?

No. He looks like the same player hes always been except hes scoring less because he doesnt play on the PP anymore.

Hes 7th this season among forwards in PP TOI, just under 2 mins a game and slightly ahead of Pouliot. The Rangers have the 9th best PP in the NHL.

In 2012 he was 2nd on the team in PP TOI among forwards, about 3:45 a game. The PP that season was not good at all.

Hes euther declining or being used differently or both. Either one makes the reported contract demands crazier than they sound.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
unfortunately, it makes sense to trade callahan at this point, while he's healthy and relatively young. i'd prefer the rangers kept him, but it seems he's demanding too much.

the caveat is that maybe sather playing hardball forces callahan to realize he wants to stay in ny and his price comes back downtoearth before it's too late.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
unfortunately, it makes sense to trade callahan at this point, while he's healthy and relatively young. i'd prefer the rangers kept him, but it seems he's demanding too much.

the caveat is that maybe sather playing hardball forces callahan to realize he wants to stay in ny and his price comes back downtoearth before it's too late.

His agent will make sure his price most certainly goes up. Can you imagine if Callahan has a strong Olympiad? He might even get 7 million.

But the chances of Callahan increasing his value in Sochi are just as high as are the chances that he suffers and injury and loses value.

I say, why risk it? Love the player, love his commitment and loyalty, but its a business.

Sather, however, needs to hit a Game 7 winning grand slam with the return if he decides to trade the most popular forward the franchise had since Adam Graves. And Chris friggin Stewart is pretty far from a grand slam.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks wrote last night the Rangers have offered 5 years and $30M to Callahan. I read the same article again this morning and its if Callahan was ammendable to $30M for 5,the Rangers would give it to him. Brooks brought up Pavelski who got 5 years and $30M. Callahan wants 7 years worth a minimum $42M. Brooks keeps updating the info and they don't include when the story was last updated. Brooks wrote Callahan may have played his last game last night and it makes no sense to play him in case of an injury. When you give teams permission to speak to your player in the middle of the season,that would seem to indicate the Rangers look at Callahan as having one foot out the door and they are willing to help him leave.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Was going to say this... $5 x 5, maybe even $5.5 x 5 years... It's a small raise over what he makes now, and he's not worth any more than this in my opinion... Forget the intangibles (which I am appreciative for), a 6-7M player is someone in the realm of the Sedin brothers, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp... basically, high scoring offensive players

for proof, here's a list of all current forwards making anywhere between 6M and 7M this year:

Now tell me, can/does Callahan directly compare to ANY of these players in terms of offensive production? In a vacuum perhaps, but a good deal of that list are players that are regular 30 goal scorers

That list really isn't a good comparison for a number of reasons. There's a lot more that goes into determining a players cap number than just his play. A lot of those players signed several years ago or more when the salary cap was lower, for one thing. Vanek? He signed like 6 years ago. You can't compare that contract to a contract signed today.

slugox

Jul 4, 2009
Usually teams don't allow other teams a window to speak to their pending free agents. San Jose did with Clowe. I don't remember it happening in the NHL before that.

Agreed. At least in baseball, it generally signifies the final step before a trade is finalized and announced.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I agree with Beacon - allowing a team to talk to Callahan tells me that the Rangers and said team are close on a deal, and, that the return is contingent upon Callahan being signed long term. A signed Callahan gets you the equivalent of what Pominville returned; Callahan on a rental gets less.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
If the rumor is true that there is a 5 year 30 million dollar deal on the table and Cally wont sign it, then trade him and good riddance. If Cally doesn't sign that contract he is one greedy hockey player

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
If the rumor is true that there is a 5 year 30 million dollar deal on the table and Cally wont sign it, then trade him and good riddance. If Cally doesn't sign that contract he is one greedy hockey player

Agreed.

How quickly he forgot when this franchise still was debating who should wear the C: him or Staal or Dubi.

Yeah, your welcome, Rhyno. Now, piss off.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

It's in all likelihood the last contract he will ever sign. It's in his best interest to get the most money he can

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY

I'm hoping that the other team is offering him $5.5M, and he shuts up and signs his renewal for $6M and coasts to glory! :laugh:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The character degradation begins.

Yup. Callahan is the heart and soul of this team! He's a warrior! Love Callahan! Oh, he wants more money that we think he's worth? He's a greedy, grinding, 3rd line bum!

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
At this point, I'm more worried that Cally will see **** is getting real and will accept the offer on the table, costing this team an opportunity to do what is necessary to move forward and become a REAL cup contender.

A) He's now 3rd on the RW depth chart behind Nash and MZA.
B) The team has real needs elsewhere (primarily center and PMD).
C) A signed Callahan should be worth a boatload.
D) Fast/Kristo/Miller are ready to step in and play most of his minutes (with slight increases to Nash and MZA to make up the rest).

Callahan at almost anything other than a bargain basement contract is worth less to this team than what he can return in a trade. Hurry up and get one done, Slats.

StepansLabyrinth

Rational Police
Jul 2, 2009
Chicago's PK is atrocious. Its cost them a lot of close games, which is why they have played so many OT Games. Their dick PK is allowing teams to hang around in games.

Callahan for Andrew Shaw and Brandon Pirri.

Chicago could definitely use Callahan but I doubt they want to give him the contract he'll command. Kane and Toews are free agents in 2015 and they already have Seabrook, Keith, Hjalmarsson, Hossa, Sharp, Crawford, and Bickell signed long term for 4+ each. That club needs to save as much money as possible or they're going to risk losing their two best players. I really like Pirri, Shaw, Kruger, Saad, and Morin but those players are nearly untradeable for CHI because of their contracts.

The only way it would make sense to me, from a Blackhawk perspective, is if you had the Rangers take the Bickell contract back. Hossa and Sharp are too important to their team, making the Bickell contract the one expensive deal they could afford to part with. He was great in the playoffs last year but he'd be the one that needs to go to bring in Cally.

Now, from a Rangers perspective, that Bickell contract is pretty ugly. In order to take on Bickell for Callahan, the Rangers could probably command their pick of Pirri, Shaw, Kruger, or Morin. Saad is probably too good to get back.

Kruger is the guy I'd want. He doesn't get much ice time (less than 12 minutes a game) but he has more primary assists per 60 minutes than Toews. Obviously he's not nearly the player Toews is but I think he's a more than capable 2C moving forward.

Last edited:

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Yup. Callahan is the heart and soul of this team! He's a warrior! Love Callahan! Oh, he wants more money that we think he's worth? He's a greedy, grinding, 3rd line bum!

If he's not greedy, than why not agree to the $30 million that's being offered?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If he's not greedy, than why not agree to the $30 million that's being offered?

If you could make 42 mil or 30 mil, which would you choose? If you had an agent, whom you hired to negotiate a contract for you and is advising you not to sign for 30 mil, what would you do? If you had a union that will pressure you to sign for the most money you can, what would you do?

For all we know, Cally is willing to bend off of 7/42 and Sather isn't willing to meet him halfway. It's incredibly petty and arrogant to think you know anything about the situation and to judge Callahan's character based on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad