Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
My money is on the Canucks, Torts love Cally and Cally loves Torts. I can see them overpay to get him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Oh and blow money on a FA.. no thank you

Blow money on an FA? Richards is 34, rapidly declining and makes 6.6 million a year until he is 40. Can you at least try to use something to back up your argument other than something so facile?

haha, fair enough. :laugh::laugh:

There is zero chance we keep him. The cap recapture would kill us if he doesn't play out the remainder of his contract.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
There is no way Richards is a Ranger next season.

Unless he starts playing baseball and joins Texas.

Cake or Death

A "pretty consistent 25 goal scorer over his career" who has scored 25 goals in the NHL all of two times?

This season he's on pace for 25 playing 13 mins a game. He's played 5 seasons before this one. One was his 53 game rookie season. Lose that. Then two 28 goal seasons. A bad year at 15 gls. He would've easily hit 25 last season, he had 18 gls 36 pts in 48 games. Basically 4 out of 5, not counting his rookie season.

He def isn't the all-around player Cally is, but he has better career GPG, better PPG, and likely to be a lot more durable at 230 pounds. He's also a much better ES scorer than Cally (cally has played 72 more games and has 7 less career ES goals). Considering Cally is a rental risk, seeking a contract about 2 mil more than Stewart's, would you rather grab a 26 year old who's Kreider's size, and has a career .31 GPG and .61 PPG, or risk losing Cally for nothing?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Sather has already given him a better offer than most would because of who he is. The ball is in his court now.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Sather has already gien him a better offer than most would because of who he is. The ball is in his court now.

Question is, does he get hit back to reality after talking with other teams or does some team give him closer to what he is looking for? Does he take his chances as a UFA? Does he change his mind and re up with us? There are a few different directions this ball could bounce.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
So Cally is a goner?
Seems so unless he bows to the foggie
Mixed feelings but 7 years would have been a very big mistake
Lets see what we get back. Kessler+ would be my guess

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Sather has already given him a better offer than most would because of who he is. The ball is in his court now.

The beauty of being an unrestricted free agent is that you don't have to accept an offer that is "better than most" - you can hold out for the very best offer. If the average team would only give him $5.5 a year, 7 teams give him $6, three teams give him $6.5 and one team gives him $7, guess what, he doesn't accept $5.5 because that's what most offer. He takes the $7 and ignores all offers below $6.5 as not serious.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Not trying to buzz kill this but I really have some doubts that we get a return people will be happy with.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So Cally is a goner?
Seems so unless he bows to the foggie
Mixed feelings but 7 years would have been a very big mistake
Lets see what we get back. Kessler+ would be my guess

Even if he's signed I would think Callahan won't get you Kessler alone.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The good thing about Callahan is that I think he's worth more to other teams than he is to us. We'll be selling him at a low value to us but he'll have a high value to other teams. So we can add a roster player while not giving up THAT much. With the PP working without him (albeit not the last 4 games) he's not nearly as important as he was.

Cake or Death

Not trying to buzz kill this but I really have some doubts that we get a return people will be happy with.

That isn't a buzz kill: it's a reality. He has an expiring contract and high demands, so it's not a guy you want to risk keeping, nor is he a guy who is easy to trade for a legit return. He's our captain; a guy who has relentlessly sacrificed himself to do what it takes to win, and a player whose play has ignited this this team many a time. Over-paying him on a too long contract could hinder the team: seeing him go will be like losing a family member you actually like. No real easy angle here.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
The good thing about Callahan is that I think he's worth more to other teams than he is to us. We'll be selling him at a low value to us but he'll have a high value to other teams. So we can add a roster player while not giving up THAT much. With the PP working without him (albeit not the last 4 games) he's not nearly as important as he was.

I think your rationale here fits perfect for a Stewart + deal. A big body for the playoffs with some skill,who is not counted on to "carry the mail" will be perfect for the top 9 because we can't distinguish a top whatever with our current forward core. Depth, Depth,Depth.....

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
And with the way Staal has been playing of late, it wouldn't be too productive to trade him (even if his value is sky high). Having Staal as your #3 is enormous.

Anchors a 2nd pairing. There isn't a drop off in defensive ability from pair one to two. Hell Kevin Klein really solidies the 3rd pair right now, even with J.Moore still learning on the job.

Alphacat

Sep 1, 2011
New York
I think your rationale here fits perfect for a Stewart + deal. A big body for the playoffs with some skill,who is not counted on to "carry the mail" will be perfect for the top 9 because we can't distinguish a top whatever with our current forward core. Depth, Depth,Depth.....
I don't think many would be opposed to adding Stewart in a package, however, Cally for Stewart alone is simply not enough. But yeah, the "+" is what would make or break the deal. Stewart would be a solid depth add.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'm hoping Cally sleeps on it and accepts the 5 for 6 year deal he has on the table.

If his heart is here, prove it. I'll miss the guy and understand if he goes elsewhere, but boy... the sooner he's done with this the better.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I don't think many would be opposed to adding Stewart in a package, however, Cally for Stewart alone is simply not enough. But yeah, the "+" is what would make or break the deal. Stewart would be a solid depth add.

I think if that is the deal, it would be Stewart and a pick. And what that pick is, would be where Sather makes his money. Don't want to speculate,but let see how the whole situation plays out...

I just think another big body for the playoffs can't hurt. Especially one that can put the puck in the net...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad