Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
to 17futurecap.

that was the article and info floating all day.

Later in the evening, that article was updated to include that Sather offered callahan 5yrs 30million. Thats the game changer. At least I believe it to be

Yea, it kind of seems to keep getting updated as the night went on, now it includes postgame quotes etc...

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I think it has more to do with Cally being injured and AV likes skill and he sees guys like Zuc and Pouliot who have chemistry and more skill than Cally and tries to get the best out of them in offensive situation. No way those guys have that chance on a Torts team.

The second line as unfortunate as it is, is the weakest link right now. If Cally doesn't compromise, Hagelin is the only one back for Training Camp in September.

I can totally see why you'd say that line is the weakest line, but man thats bc Richards can't keep up with Hags and Cally. With a faster, stronger more competitive center, that line would own puck possession and zone time. I think

Richards has put up some numbers, he has. But he's still the weak link in our forwards corps. He's the first line center, who's the second line center, who's not very good 5 on 5. But I don't want to crap on Richards, he's done more then I expected him to this year. Sather had a chance to buy him out and he didn't. Someone want to ask who they could have signed, well Fillipula has looked pretty snazzy no

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I think Cally is as good as gone at this point. It will hurt, he was one of my favorite and one of the reasons (along with Dubi) why I got hooked on Rangers hockey again.

6m for 5 years is a pretty deal IMO, he should take it.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
You can't do that. You have to be specific or it doesn't count.

:laugh:
This is how it works.
Angel: Hey God, you have a message from BB, but he doesn't know your name.
God: What? Ignore the sucker! You know what, even better punish him, make him mod for the Ranger HF board, that will teach him to know my name.
Deity? What's that, toilet paper company?

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
I'm honestly kinda surprised that Cally isn't budging at 6m for 5 yrs. Yes, I know he can get more out of other teams, but come on, homegrown Rangers captain, take a hometown discount.

Personally I'm iffy on even giving him 6m, ideally I'd do no more than 5m, but if that's what was reportedly offered, he has to take it. He is quite frankly NOT a 7m player and if he gets that, then tha'ts just a MASSIVE overpayment.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I'm honestly kinda surprised that Cally isn't budging at 6m for 5 yrs. Yes, I know he can get more out of other teams, but come on, homegrown Rangers captain, take a hometown discount.

Personally I'm iffy on even giving him 6m, ideally I'd do no more than 5m, but if that's what was reportedly offered, he has to take it. He is quite frankly NOT a 7m player and if he gets that, then tha'ts just a MASSIVE overpayment.

The issue appears to be term, not money

He reportedly wants 7 years @ $5M and Sather offered him 5 years at $6M

Looks like six years could be a compromise but that contract would suuuuccckkkk

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The more I chew on it, the more I agree with the idea that it is all a negotiating ploy to get Callahan's numbers down. I mean I have no doubt if push came to shove they would move him...but I think it's far more likely they settle.

This is the captain of a playoff team. Marketable player, one of the top jersey sellers across the league, beloved by te fanbase. Look at the comments on the Rangers Facebook, SNY blog, Strang's article.

Just a hunch but this seems more and more likely the more I digest everything. Guess we will find out.

Last edited:

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
A 5 year term is what I would like to see. To me, a 7 year term is not.

I'm not even sure that we have seen what Callahan can do. My own feeling is that he can surprise us. That is what is known as goodwill on my part, but it does not cost me anything.
Goodwill on Callahan's part would be coming up with the old hometown discount. That goodwill costs money.

Still, regardless of $$, I am tired of 7 year contracts to round out a player's career. It is fine for a player to want it, and it is fine for a team to say 'no thanks'.

There are too many long term contracts. 7 years is ridiculous. I don't care what you compare it to.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Callahan is a replaceable player. Forget nostalgia. Minnesota traded Clutterbuck, who was their Callahan.

Everything hinges on the Richards buyout. Richards is playing better this year than he did in 2012.

Id rather keep Richards than Callahan. But thats just me. I put a premium on center depth more than on the flanks. If Callahan and Girardi are extended, Richards knows hes a dead man walking heading into a playoff run.

Callahan is married with kids. His wife has a massive say in where he goes next. Lots of factors go into making a career commitment.

One Cup in 73 years. Trust me when I say Ryan Callahan will not make or break a Stanley Cup in 2014.

Trade him.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa

Oh damn, didn't realize that, my bad.

In that case..meeh, i dunno. i just dunno. I love him as a player, but 7 years for his style of play...I dunno.

I'd like to see some of the returns that are being discussed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

I'm pretty sure he wants 7 years at 6 mil, not 5.

rangers gave him his 6 mil, but wont give him the 7 years.

frankly im shocked they went up to 6 mil...hes not a 6 mil player.

I dont agree with pretty much anything dagoon says, or has ever said, but in this we are agreement. hes a 4-4.5 mil player.

overpay him to 5 because hes our captain
5x5 MAX

too much? GTFO.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Darren Dreger: NYR grant permission to at least 1 team who has already talked with Callahan's agent.

Not sure if this got posted anywhere, but I think this is significant enough to have its own thread. Teams don't let random other teams just talk to their players, particularly their captain. The only way that a GM would allow others to talk to his captain is if he has a deal on the table, subject to the player signing.

It's possible that no trade will take place because the other team can't agree with Cally on a long-term contract or because Dreger is wrong, but if Greder isn't making stuff up, I think it's a safe bet that Slats has a deal on the table to which he agreed.

I just can't understand how it would be responsible for a GM to tell another team, "go talk to my player, and then we'll see if we can work a trade." There's no way anyone would allow that.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
I'm so confused haha, does anyone have the "official" numbers/years they gave him?

if 6m but >7 years instead of 7 years, then he's dumb, and quite frankly Sather's dumb for going that high. HE IS NOT WORTH 6m.

If the term is the problem then they'll iron it out. But 6m/7 yrs is just lunacy.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Its obvious Callahan is massively overvalued by everyone around the league, evident in his Olympic selection. The GMs of four or five franchises thought hes one of the 12 best American forwards in the NHL.

Yeah, no.

Take advantage of his worth being high. He'll never be this valuable again, especially when hes 33 years old scoring 13 goals with four years left on a deal costing the Rangers 6 million on the cap. Have fun trying to move him then.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com

I dont agree with pretty much anything dagoon says, or has ever said, but in this we are agreement. hes a 4-4.5 mil player.

5x5 MAX

too much? GTFO.

Agreed

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I can totally see why you'd say that line is the weakest line, but man thats bc Richards can't keep up with Hags and Cally. With a faster, stronger more competitive center, that line would own puck possession and zone time. I think

Richards has put up some numbers, he has. But he's still the weak link in our forwards corps. He's the first line center, who's the second line center, who's not very good 5 on 5. But I don't want to crap on Richards, he's done more then I expected him to this year. Sather had a chance to buy him out and he didn't. Someone want to ask who they could have signed, well Fillipula has looked pretty snazzy no
Brad is running on empty.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Not sure if this got posted anywhere, but I think this is significant enough to have its own thread. Teams don't let random other teams just talk to their players, particularly their captain. The only way that a GM would allow others to talk to his captain is if he has a deal on the table, subject to the player signing.

It's possible that no trade will take place because the other team can't agree with Cally on a long-term contract or because Dreger is wrong, but if Greder isn't making stuff up, I think it's a safe bet that Slats has a deal on the table to which he agreed.

I just can't understand how it would be responsible for a GM to tell another team, "go talk to my player, and then we'll see if we can work a trade." There's no way anyone would allow that.

I agree, but it goes both ways. He may have a deal in place but it's contingent on the other team signing Cally.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

5x5 MAX

too much? GTFO.

For 5 million Id consider giving him 7 but I agree Im pretty sure the article said 6M 5Y and Cally wants 6M 7Y

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Callahan is a replaceable player. Forget nostalgia. Minnesota traded Clutterbuck, who was their Callahan.

Everything hinges on the Richards buyout. Richards is playing better this year than he did in 2012.

Id rather keep Richards than Callahan. But thats just me. I put a premium on center depth more than on the flanks. If Callahan and Girardi are extended, Richards knows hes a dead man walking heading into a playoff run.

Callahan is married with kids. His wife has a massive say in where he goes next. Lots of factors go into making a career commitment.

One Cup in 73 years. Trust me when I say Ryan Callahan will not make or break a Stanley Cup in 2014.

Trade him.

Come on man, Callahan is not clutter buck. and how you could say you'd prefer to keep Richards to callahan, it makes me want to call it a night. And I respect you, I know your handle and your certainly a long time fan. But I feel like so many are forgetting all the things Callahan has done over the years, in every single game. There is a reason while so many teams are interested or sincerely surprised the Rangers would let him go. He plays big in important situations. Just bc he hasn't scored much in the playoffs, the guy is just a winning championship player. Simple and plan, he contributions go way beyond the scoresheet, and Im not talking about locker room or leadership intangibles, Im talking about tangible plays that need to be made throughout the game to win the game.

I have seensome slow down on the part of callahan since the beginning of the lockout shortened season, but to be honest, it was organization wide. I think they looked at the lockout as a sure thing before it happened, and they all vacationed, either physically or mentally. The whole team was going soft, bc they thought have had a breakout year in 2011-2012 and bringing in nash and having kreider, that they were gonna be able to win, not giving that same effort. Everyone was guilty of it.

And I see how people say he doesn't go as hard or balls to the wall as in the past, I can see it when its happening. But I also believe, come stretch run and then the playoffs he is going to play the same way he has, his entire career.

Addtionally, I just thought of this. Last year there was no training camp. and this year callahan was recovering/rehabbing from surgery and couldn't train the way he normally would pre-camp and even though he partook (sp) in training camp, he couldn't have any contact, played no pre-season games. Then broke a bone, rushed back again. It's very selective that people are saying how much Callahan has fallen off, etc when there has been legitimate factors which would lead to rust, being slower then normal, not being as effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad