Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
If another team is going to give Callahan seven years, might as well let them do it now and get better assets back in return than losing him for nothing in July or getting a return of a rental.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Cally is probably well aware the 7 year deal is waiting for him in Buffalo come July 1. I don't see the Sabres giving up assets to get him though, think they will hope he goes to a rental, and will be at his door step noon July 1.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
7 years for cally is just a disaster waiting to happen.

I'd bet they meet in the middle and go 6yrs/6.25mill. It's a $2 million cap hit above what we are already paying him, but I just think he's too valuable to the team in ways that don't show up on the score sheet.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Aside from having grown up near there, I see nothing in Buffalo for Callahan. This is his last contract. He's getting older and he's finding himself injured very often. Now's the time to get that cup. Signing with Buffalo is pretty much the equivalent of signing a paper that says you're okay never being on a championship team if you're him. I guess we'll see what kind of price tag he perceives there being on a chance to be a champion.

If I were him, and I'm fully aware that that's a ridiculous premise, I'd take Sather's 6x5 offer or see if I could get the same from the Blues/Kings/Bruins/Sharks - real contenders. 6x7 almost certainly guarantees that he ends his career as an albatross for a team that plans poorly. No cup. No warm goodbyes. Just there one day, Drury/Redden'd the next. "Thank god he's off the books." Granted I'm a relatively broke young person and not a professional NHL player, I'd like to think I'd leave a few million dollars on the table to be a champion, at least once I've made 30+ million guaranteed.

SupersonicMonkey*

Well your comment was more about just being a dick, like most of your stuff.

My comment is more about how dissing Chris Stewart's accomplishments are pretty silly. The Rangers could do a lot worse in a Callahan trade when it comes to the roster piece coming back.

They could do worse, but that isn't saying much.

You don't trade a player who gives everything he has on every shift for a guy who may or may not feel like arriving to the rink in the mood to play hockey

If the decision is to trade Callahan, Chris Stewart is precisely the kind of player you do not target. His physical tools are all well and good but the tool box is empty.

*Bob Richards*

Not crazy about going 6 and above for a guy who has never scored 30 goals.

SupersonicMonkey*

The target should be a young center either beginning to establish himself or is NHL ready. Leader. Two-way player.

With throw-ins including depth wingers and a defenseman with offensive upside.

If that deal isn't available, taking "whatever" will not justify further chipping away the team's identity. Slipping farther into a mish-mash of parts.

There needs to be a consistent core identity.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Looks like his Blues teammates take a nosedive when on the ice with Stewart according to the WOWY charts.That's okay, it's not like Callahan has been great at that department either this year. Stewart is still a considerably better ES player, but I think the Rangers can be primed to fleece another team based on his value of intangibles. I'd look to add Dmitrij Jaskin+.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I love Cally, but if he wants that kind of term, it needs to be at a price no higher than his current cap hit. His production rate peaked in the 2010-11 season (after which he signed his current contract), and it's declined every year since. His play (aside from his production) has been off ever since Dubinsky left (not suggesting a correlation, but he hasn't been the same player since around that time).

To be perfectly honest, as much as I don't want to see him leave, he hasn't earned a raise. His play today is significantly less that what it was when he signed that deal (as is the salary cap, for that matter). A couple years ago, it would have taken a whole thread to list all of the things Cally did that impacted a game. Tonight? Only two plays stand out--the pass on Richards' goal and the dopey icing one stride from the red line. A game or two ago, he was literally the ONLY forward without at least one shot on goal.

Because of what he's been to this franchise, I would rather see him stay. He's earned that based on what he's done to date--but only within reason. I'd be comfortable giving him his requested salary for two years or his current salary for about 5 years. He may feel that those are insults, but frankly, based on his play over the last three seasons (and that doesn't even take into account his lackluster postseason play), those offers are extremely generous.

If he flat refuses those offers, then they need to move on, get something of value for him, and give him some love the first time he visits the Garden with his new team.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I just don't understand Sather letting other teams talk to Cally. One of this first instances I heard of something similar to this. I get that sign + trade, but still.

If a team believes they can re-sign Cally, they'll be willing to give up more to get him.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Not crazy about going 6 and above for a guy who has never scored 30 goals.

I feel the same way. I think somewhere around 5 years and 5.75 per (28.75 in total) should be management's upper limit. Even that I think is overpayment for what Callahan will likely do for the next 5 years, but it's worth the risk at that rate because of his leadership qualities. If it was from a pure production standpoint, I'm not sure I'd keep Callahan around for 5 years at ANY significant amount for that length of time.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
I posted something similar on the main board, but I really like how the Rangers are handling the Callahan situation. It would kind of kill free agency, but why not let your pending UFA's talk to other teams as a last resort before trading them. It would be one thing if you thought you were close to resigning them (ala Girardi), but this seems like a good move if you're planning to trade them anyway.

Based on the other offers they receive, you can decide whether or not to resign them, and if you decide to trade them, you potentially maximize their trade value. Worst case, you keep them and let them walk at the end of the year or trade them explicitly as a rental, but that's where you would be anyway, and this way you know your options.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Agents have negotiated deals or serve as a liaison prior to transactions between teams.

Rangers now get to know the perceived market value of Callahan both in terms of his contract, and trade value.

Callahan is going to go balls out at the Olympics. The Rangers are doing their due diligence by handling this prior to the break.

I will bet you the return for Callahan will please the fanbase as contenders don't get a chance to load up on a player like him before a run.

If you look back at the last few dead lines, very few in-prime Olympic level athletes were traded mid season.

Last team to do that were the Atlanta Thrashers with Kovalchuk and Hossa, except you had Waddell making hockey decisions. Those were 4 piece deals.

Callahan + bodies should and will return 4 pieces. The Rangers can trade him anywhere. No NTC/NMC to get in the way.

Clowe, Iginla both had say over where they went.

Cally has Kesler/Backes/Brown type value around the league. He is that type of player.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I posted something similar on the main board, but I really like how the Rangers are handling the Callahan situation. It would kind of kill free agency, but why not let your pending UFA's talk to other teams as a last resort before trading them. It would be one thing if you thought you were close to resigning them (ala Girardi), but this seems like a good move if you're planning to trade them anyway.

Based on the other offers they receive, you can decide whether or not to resign them, and if you decide to trade them, you potentially maximize their trade value. Worst case, you keep them and let them walk at the end of the year or trade them explicitly as a rental, but that's where you would be anyway, and this way you know your options.

Very true. It's really in every party's best interest, but especially for the Rangers. Because the negotiations come with no power for anyone to actually sign, the negotiating team gets a chance to lock up the player ahead of time, Callahan gets to see what he's really worth and weigh that against how much he wants to remain in New York, and the Rangers get a market evaluation that costs them nothing,

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Im very happy with the movement that occurred in the last two days. First Girardi numbers come out and you see there's a deal to be made. 5.5milx6yr. And then at end of the day, today, you hear Sather offered 6million over 5 for Callahan. There's also a deal to made there. 6.35milX5yrs or 5.5milX6yrs.

Both guys are staying. Possibly on very very similar deals. I love it

As the news started picking up today, I literally started feeling like uneasy. It's one thing to talk in the hypothetical of what needs to be done if you couldn't come up with a deal, it was another thing today was it started seeming like a forgone conclusion.

I do believe so long as the difference between the rangers best offer and the highest bidder is 10 million or less, Callahan will take the rangers best offer. At first it was seeming like the difference could be closer to 15 million and that I don't see Callahan being able to pass up.

And as i said the other day, some of you guys should be ashamed. Do us a favor, stop rooting for the team and solely focus on your fantasy teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad