Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoon44

Sep 15, 2003
NJ
dagoon44.blogspot.com
I watched cally tonight very closely. he does everything a blue collar hardworking mucker needs to do in the NHL. The problem with i just wrote is that he does nothing that a 7 million dollar player does. He has not so good hands when it comes to getting off clean shots he tends to be blocked a lot .. he is 4-5.5 million guy but not a dime more..

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I watched cally tonight very closely. he does everything a blue collar hardworking mucker needs to do in the NHL. The problem with i just wrote is that he does nothing that a 7 million dollar player does. He has not so good hands when it comes to getting off clean shots he tends to be blocked a lot .. he is 4-5.5 million guy but not a dime more..

Pretty sure he isn't asking for 7 million, though. Heard 7 years for 6 mil per, which is no way is he worth.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Rangers general manager Glen Sather has offered Callahan, an impending unrestricted free agent, a five-year extension worth approximately $30 million, but sources report the winger, who played in Friday night’s match at the Garden against the Islanders, has held firm on his request/demand for a seven-year, $42 million deal that he first submitted last summer.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/31/rangers-want-callahans-future-decided-before-sochi/

Not sure if this was posted.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What is Callahans value in trade if extended? Same as Jordan Staal. 3rd liner, top 10 pick, grade A prospect.

Probably closer to Pominville. A lot of what Staal got in trade was based on perceived upside. Cally is what he is at this point.

Could see two good prospects and a pick. Somewhere in between Pomms and Mike Richards. Really just comes down to who wants him bad enough.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Slats offered him 6M for 5 years.

I really hope Cally takes it. Not many teams will offer 7 years.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Probably closer to Pominville. A lot of what Staal got in trade was based on perceived upside. Cally is what he is at this point.

Could see two good prospects and a pick. Somewhere in between Pomms and Mike Richards. Really just comes down to who wants him bad enough.

I'd take two good prospects and a 1st round pick for him if we knew he wouldn't resign here.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Thats a serious overpayment for a third liner with intangibles. I hope he doesn't and gets moved.

My god is that third line grinder tag still a thing?

There's a line between the third and the first. It's where a Callahan belongs, and where he's played for the past half a decade.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
My god is that third line grinder tag still a thing?

There's a line between the third and the first. It's where a Callahan belongs, and where he's played for the past half a decade.

He isn't a second liner on this team. He won't be a second liner on this team going forward either.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
6 Mil on Callahan would be a massive overpayment a year and a half ago.

New CBA, new cap, new market. It's what players like him will go for.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Could see two good prospects and a pick.
Somewhere in between Pomms and Mike Richards. Really just comes down to who wants him bad enough.

I would be thrilled with that return. This is going to be sacrilege to the Callahan fan club, but, IMO, Callahan holds more value as a trip chip right now than his actual play on the ice.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
6 Mil on Callahan would be a massive overpayment a year and a half ago.

New CBA, new cap, new market. It's what players like him will go for.

Sure, no question Cally can get that on the open market. He can get more than 6 million. It doesn't mean the Rangers should pay it.

Giving that type of contract to Cally would be a massive mistake to how AV wants this team to be.

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa

Dagoon, you and I disagree about a lot, but you've encapsulated the Cally situation perfectly.

Exactly this. Couldn't have said it better.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Cally has a reduced role. No PP time. Doesn't start the PK, and the second line even strength is pretty bad this year.

The Black and Blueshirts are no more. It's a speed and puck possession team. Cally embodied the former.

It's all not going in his favor.

I hope he thinks things over and takes the deal. Otherwise you gotta get something back for him.

Kings and Sharks have started to struggle offensively in the last few games. Might be a match their. If they can make Nieto or Etem the centerpiece of a deal, that's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad