Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Apparently everyone but the Sedin twins are available out of Vancouver.

Ryan Kesler YES PLEASE. We all know Torts loves Callahan. Get 'er done.
I'm sure he loves Kesler more by now.

And the Canucks are looking for more centers, not less.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I'd do TERRIBLE, things for Kesler. Things I'm prohibited to say since I'd get perma-banned. :sarcasm:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Kesler's Time On Ice under Tortorella is pretty insane. Look at his game log, many games logged near 25 mins or over. That's a lot for a forward.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm going to go against popular opinion and say I DON'T want Kesler. If we're trading Cally, it shouldn't be for guys who are the same age/older; it should be for young guys on their way up.

Although I do like the idea of moving him for a center.

BarbaraAlphanse

This morning:

Might as well trade Cally for Stewart, better get something rather than nothing.

Tonight:

Cally for Kesler ONE CAN DREAM.

lol you guyz kill me.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
This morning:

Might as well trade Cally for Stewart, better get something rather than nothing.

Tonight:

Cally for Kesler ONE CAN DREAM.

lol you guyz kill me.

Funny, Im not usually surprised by several different people having several different opinions.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Whether the Rangers have fully committed to moving their heart-and-soul leader has yet to be determined -- a few people with knowledge of the situation believe the Rangers have given up on trying to re-sign him to a multiyear deal -- though it appears the contract discussions are at an impasse.

Callahan is reportedly seeking a seven-year deal worth $6 million annually, though the Rangers are believed to be uncomfortable with that term given Callahan's durability issues.

The Rochester, N.Y., native has missed time with three separate injuries already this season, which raises an interesting question: If the Rangers want to trade him, do they want to do so before the Olympic break roster freeze?

Doing so would hedge against the possibility of Callahan suffering an injury while playing for the U.S. team in Sochi, and could give the Rangers at least one extra pay period of cap relief, depending on what they are seeking in return.

The New York Post reported Friday that the Rangers would like to make a decision either way before the Olympic break, though two people with knowledge of the situation told ESPNNewYork.com that they were not aware of any such deadline.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...ive-other-teams-permission-talk-ryan-callahan

Katie Strang adding more fuel to the fire.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
**** is getting real. Didn't think it would happen, but it's the way things go. We just can't give him that kind of contract, and Callahan has to know this will likely be his final contract.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
**** is getting real. Didn't think it would happen, but it's the way things go. We just can't give him that kind of contract, and Callahan has to know this will likely be his final contract.

Would it be possible he takes a short year contract with higher $? He'd only be 31-32 after a 2-3 year... and could probably still get another contract? dunno, just pondering. I'm sure it isn't in his best interests, but if his interests are the team, I don't think Slats would mind locking him at such a high dollar amount for a shorter term

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Would it be possible he takes a short year contract with higher $? He'd only be 31-32 after a 2-3 year... and could probably still get another contract? dunno, just pondering. I'm sure it isn't in his best interests, but if his interests are the team, I don't think Slats would mind locking him at such a high dollar amount for a shorter term

Certainly doesn't seem that way. The guy wants to keep playing, and a 7 year deal seems like a requirement for him.

BarbaraAlphanse

Funny, Im not usually surprised by several different people having several different opinions.

Funny when I said we'd likely get a larger return by letting the agent talk to the team for an extension that wasn't recognized.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Funny when I said we'd likely get a larger return by letting the agent talk to the team for an extension that wasn't recognized.

Not sure what you mean? Of course you get a better return by letting the agent talk to the other teams. Were people telling you that it was impossible that the Rangers would do that? All it means is that they really, truly are considering moving him, which I think quite a few people doubted up until now.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Allowing him to talk to other teams doesn't sound like posturing. Callahan now gets a chance to see how much teams are willing to overpay him.

When his agent wont come off 7 years, its a dead issue.

At some point, it needs to get to "Go ahead, see if you can go get it" Im glad the Rangers are doing this now instead of July

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

You have an even shorter memory than this board and just assume you're talking to the same exact people all the time about everything in every single thread. Lots of things people say that are correct/have some good logic/reasoning behind it go unnoticed or unreplied to every day. You don't need to get a pat on the back for every little thing you say that might have some merit in every single thread.

At any rate, a 7-year deal for the Callahan of the last 2 years is something I would gladly walk away from. Other people on the team have become more vocal, bigger leaders on the ice, and are more noticeable in taking the reigns of a game. The potential problem now is Rangers management will most likely not trade him because he wears the golden C. Other potential problem would be the return.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If Callahan is going to have as horrible a game as he is tonight so far, the sooner some sort of outcome happens, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad