Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Because he won't get another contract for a year or two?

Did you even read what I posted? His career could be over tomorrow. How old was Drury when he retired? And even if he's still playing at age 34, he isn't going to get 6 mil per year.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I would say it's far more likely he never sees another significant contract.

what would you say if he played another 4 years after that, maybe making 3 million the first year, and 2million per the other 3 years. Could be one year deals, could be a 2yr 4million deal Maybe not with the Rangers. Maybe with another team. that all adds up to doesn't it.

Additonally man, I always think of it this way, if your an athlete in NYC and also a figure. The amount of business opportunities that can be presented to you over the years, could make an extra 10 million on a contract, actually look like peanuts. There is so much big business, huge money ventures going on in the city. Like Messier and the Bronx arena. Businessmen like athletes, like rubbing shoulders, attending events or parties etc. I think being an iconic ny athlete, the money after you retire is there to be made. Win a cup and you never have to worry about a dang thing in this city again.

And the Rangers treat their heritage players like royalty. I think the level at which the Rangers operate. Travel, first class everything, the galas, etc etc etc.. It's so far above what other teams do, that their is a definite drop off to another organization.

I said yesterday if the money gap is closer to 15 million then yes I see it being very hard to miss out on, as somebody else had also thought out, that's almost as much as he has made in his career up until now. Thats like trying to comprehend having played and worked his first 8 years for free. Thats also getting close to losing out on 1/3 of what your potential payday could be.

When it gets closer to 10 million and under. Then its half of what his already made in his career, and its closer 1/4 of what his potential payday could be. Personally I feel like its easier to digest.

The truth is this, he doesn't need all that money. But its not even about that. Its about the rationalizations your thinking goes through when comes to the money. You put it in perspective to this or that, and it takes on a life of its own. Thats what money does to people, institutions. I know I may be speaking to the wrong portion of the population about this but. Money isn't everything. Your thought process is.

Last edited:

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Tell me that again after you turned down 12 million dollars

Believe me there are a lot of reasons I would turn down 12 million without batting an eye.

for a fraction of that I could set my entire family and our future generations and be completely sustainable. This is not a conversation for here. But people don't realize how much money and their lifestyles can actually trap them into a existence of servitude to money.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Not sure that it makes a whole lot of sense to go on debating this with you, ImIdaho. Obviously you have a different take.

But shouldn't the fact that everyone else currently engaged in the debate disagrees prove the point that most people - most likely including Callahan - don't share your perspective?

Because it shows where his loyalty and priorities lay. I'm sorry (Not really) that I don't view $30 million as peanuts, that I don't really divulge myself in this hypothetical "what if" where he may be done playing the sport by the 6th year.

I still remember those "Club Med" days, and when I hear one of our players demanding a certain amount that he's not really worth, I want him gone before he drags the whole franchise whilst admitting the crest on the front plays second fiddle.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Did you even read what I posted? His career could be over tomorrow. How old was Drury when he retired? And even if he's still playing at age 34, he isn't going to get 6 mil per year.

Then why bring up hypotheticals? Here's one: he could be 100% healthy after his new contract is up.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Because it shows where his loyalty and priorities lay. I'm sorry (Not really) that I don't view $30 million as peanuts, that I don't really divulge myself in this hypothetical "what if" where he may be done playing the sport by the 6th year.

I still remember those "Club Med" days, and when I hear one of our players demanding a certain amount that he's not really worth, I want him gone before he drags the whole franchise whilst admitting the crest on the front plays second fiddle.

You turned on Callahan the moment you found out he wanted more money than Sather was willing to give him. What the hell do you know about loyalty?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
It's just a total fools gamble to be saying "take less money now, you can earn it back when you are in your mid 30s"

How often do any players last that long? Never mind one who already has durability issues.

And even then. Why wouldn't he take the 42 million now then try to play more years after that deal??

Fact is, this is his best chance to make serious money. He can't count on the future. Take what you can now.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's just a total fools gamble to be saying "take less money now, you can earn it back when you are in your mid 30s"

How often do any players last that long? Never mind one who already has durability issues.

And even then. Why wouldn't he take the 42 million now then try to play more years after that deal??

Fact is, this is his best chance to make serious money. He can't count on the future. Take what you can now.

If callahan can net a 32 million dollar contract here. lets take 6yrs, at 5.5million. He has made I believe 19 million up until now. Thats 51 million dollars from playing hockey. If it meant I got to stay with my friends, in the city I live in, as the captain of the team, of a competitive team, in a rabid hockey market. I think Im estatic when I look at it that way and say, and you know what Im gonna play till I'm 37. I gonna make a little more money when this contract is up.

Yes that would be my thought process.

Last edited:

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
It's rather amusing that the arguments for cally taking less money have been boiled down to "he should love NYC"

That's really all you guys have as an argument.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Exactly. So don't talk about a player not having loyalty to the team when you have no loyalty to the player.

Can't really be loyal to someone who has too lofty expectations of himself. More points, less injuries, and I'm harkening on Sather for being a dumbass.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
screw the business, I've had a longstanding dream of watching Cally hand the cup to Hank.

If you ask me, trading Cally is a message to the club that they don't matter to management. get ready for another decade of mercenary play.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Him being captain fly over your head?

Oh you're right. More responsibility for less money is always something I look for in jobs.

I'm sure Mike Richards hopes and dreams were crushed when he was no longer captain. Oh no wait. He says he loves where he is now even more. How shocking

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim

Did you at any point think that Callahan's main priority was not providing for his family? I think you should reevaluate your opinion if you think that there are players in the league today who do not look to get as much as they can. Sure some players could take a discount to avoid moving their family or to stay with team mates and battle for a cup if they think the team is close, but does not happen often and even more rarely when the difference is 12 mill.

Playing hockey is his livelihood and he is signing his final contract. How do you blame him for wanting to maximize what he can get out of his career?

I don't think the Rangers should sign him at 7/42, but I hope he gets it.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It's rather amusing that the arguments for cally taking less money have been boiled down to "he should love NYC"

That's really all you guys have as an argument.

Callahan isn't a 6+ million dollar player. A guy like Joe Thornton is. Kane makes 6.3 as does Toews. Is Callahan a Toews? No, he isn't.

Love Callahan. Have his jersey and watched since the AHL. He's not a guy I'd give a cent over 5M/per and that's pushing it. He's entitled to want six and he'll probably get it, but it's not what the Rangers SHOULD pay him.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
screw the business, I've had a longstanding dream of watching Cally hand the cup to Hank.

If you ask me, trading Cally is a message to the club that they don't matter to management. get ready for another decade of mercenary play.

Ha! What!?! Cally's *reported* contract demands are outrageous for a player of his calibre. Who knows what he's really looking for. A 6 or 7 year contract for Callahan just isn't wise.

He can't stay healthy. He's put up 50 points or more just once in his career. He's not fitting in with AV's system, as noted by his absence on the PP, where he made his bread and butter in the Tortorella regime.

If Cally was looking for a 5 year, $5m per contract - I'd lock him up no problem; but 6 or 7 years looking for $6m++!?!?! Come on, Cally. Enjoy moving back to Buffalo, kiddo. I think he'll do well there to round out his career.

If it comes down to one or the other, and that's what it's kind of looking like, Girardi is the more important player to re-sign not only for the team on the ice, but for the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad