Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
And from Callys perspective. With multiple teams offering him far more money, the rangers are offering him drastic underpayment.

Except Cally's the one only thinking that. Everyone else would be in agreement that Cally got massively overpaid for what he brings.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
screw the business, I've had a longstanding dream of watching Cally hand the cup to Hank.

If you ask me, trading Cally is a message to the club that they don't matter to management. get ready for another decade of mercenary play.

Totally disagree,

Since when has letting the inmates run the prison become the business model for the penal system? If I'm in the organization, it tells me management won't be taken hostage, and will look to do what's in the best interest of the team. Both in the short term and long...

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Except Cally's the one only thinking that. Everyone else would be in agreement that Cally got massively overpaid for what he brings.

How is he the only one thinking that when there are other teams willing to pay him that money?

If everyone was offering him 30 mil then sure, you would have a point. But they aren't.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Thing called overpayment.

But it isn't overpayment. People denying that Callahan is a $6m player simply don't have a handle on the market.

That doesn't address whether or not he's worth $6m to this team, which is a far more debatable question.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
His agent seems to think so and with Sather allowing other teams to start talks, I would assume he also thinks Callahan could get close to what he wants.

If he doesn't get what he wants now, teams could still be willing to offer that in July when they won't have to give up assets. I think it is fairly certain that he is gone.

What if Sather is letting him talk to other teams, bc he doesn't think another team will offer the 7th year. Now I believe they are teams that would go 7. I don't think they are attractive destinations or good teams though. And I would think that matters to Callahan

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
How is he the only one thinking that when there are other teams willing to pay him that money?

If everyone was offering him 30 mil then sure, you would have a point. But they aren't.

Him along with 3-4 other team management. Take a gander at what this fanbase is saying. Take a gander at what other team fanbases are saying. While you're at it, take a look at the other $6 million players in this league.

Overpayment. 'Nuff said.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Him along with 3-4 other team management. Take a gander at what this fanbase is saying. Take a gander at what other team fanbases are saying. While you're at it, take a look at the other $6 million players in this league.

Overpayment. 'Nuff said.

This is one of the most illogical posts I've ever seen.

So callahan shouldn't base his value off of what actual GMs are offering him, and instead should base his value off what fans are saying on a hockey forum?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Did you at any point think that Callahan's main priority was not providing for his family? I think you should reevaluate your opinion if you think that there are players in the league today who do not look to get as much as they can. Sure some players could take a discount to avoid moving their family or to stay with team mates and battle for a cup if they think the team is close, but does not happen often and even more rarely when the difference is 12 mill.

Playing hockey is his livelihood and he is signing his final contract. How do you blame him for wanting to maximize what he can get out of his career?

I don't think the Rangers should sign him at 7/42, but I hope he gets it.

I don't know about that. At the end of the day you have to look at the player. Some players would take a shorter term deal to stay in NY if that is what they TRULY wanted. No one on here can say for a fact that every player would leave his ideal situation for an extra 2 years/12 million. Is this Callahans ideal situation? A lot of people would. I certainly wouldn't.

There comes a point in time where 1 of 2 things happens with money. You are happy with what you are making or you want more. I see a lot of people on here say "I would do this for x amount or I would take y". I mean no offense but I know some posters on here are young and haven't had a chance to enter the working world yet. There comes a point where for SOME people it is NOT always about the money any more. When you are talking about 30 million over 5 years compared to 42 million over 7 and even having your agent talk to other teams, it is about the money. Which is absolutely fine. To generalize that all players would do the same thing is an absolute fallacy. You don't know that. When I was working full time in college making $8.75 an hour I had the same beliefs. Now? Absolutely not. I had an opportunity to go to NY not to long ago to work at John Hancock and make an absurd amount compared to what I am making now. Am I a fool for turning that down? No. My girlfriend/fiancé here. My family is here. Some players are no different. Providing for your family isn't really an appropriate phrase when you are making 6 million per year. At that point it comes down to money management. You could provide for how many generations with the right money management. Or you could blow it all in a few years (why some players who have made 2-3x what Callahan will make over the course of his career are broke).

For some, it still is about money.

People often mistake players taking less money for loyalty when in reality it is largely about convenience and preference. Right now Callahan prefers getting the most money he can. Is he married with kids? If not then he may be willing to go where ever the paper trail ends.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If he really appreciates the franchise, yes.

The Rangers will do nothing for him if he blows a knee out in the last year of the contract.

The players union - any union - hates the idea of a hometown discount. Callahan turning down a guaranteed 2/12 million has an impact on the rest of the market.

So his family, his agent, other GMs and the unions are telling him to take the bigger contract, but he needs to ignore them and listen to fans, who will have no say when he needs to renegotiate a new contract in 5 years.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
What if Sather is letting him talk to other teams, bc he doesn't think another team will offer the 7th year. Now I believe they are teams that would go 7. I don't think they are attractive destinations or good teams though. And I would think that matters to Callahan

Callahan and his agent have previously stated that they want to try free agency. If he does not get the offer he wants from the team he wants, he'll wait until July and let the bidding war start.

He takes the risk of getting injured in or after the olympics, but I think the only way he remains a Ranger if Sather caves and goes to 7/40. Hopefully that will not happen.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
This is one of the most illogical posts I've ever seen.

So callahan shouldn't base his value off of what actual GMs are offering him, and instead should base his value off what fans are saying on a hockey forum?

Well, hot shot, how much do you think Cally is worth?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You should actually do that. Make sure you take into account RFA/UFA status, length of contract, and age at signing.

Yea. He should be getting at least a bit more than what Clarkson got. If not substantially more.

Clarkson got 7 year 37 mil.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I don't know about that. At the end of the day you have to look at the player. Some players would take a shorter term deal to stay in NY if that is what they TRULY wanted. No one on here can say for a fact that every player would leave his ideal situation for an extra 2 years/12 million. Is this Callahans ideal situation? Who knows and this most certainly isn't about loyalty.

People often mistake players taking less money for loyalty when in reality it is largely about convenience and preference. Right now Callahan prefers getting the most money he can. Is he married with kids? If not then he may be willing to go where ever the paper trail ends.

That was one of the points I was trying too make.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I think Sather is doing this so early because while his #1 plan and goal are to sign Cally, he will trade him at the deadline if he has to(implying that he is not going to be move imminently). That is very sad and I hope it never happens. Cally is one guy who should play his entire career as a Ranger.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
It sucks that we've been overpaying guys for years and then decide to make a stand against a guy like Callahan. Nobody wants to see him go and there are many thoughts as to the dollar amount that he's worth or when we have to walk away. I do like the idea of getting him and Girardi to sign as opposed to losing them for nothing. It's best for the club to try and get a max package back while the value is high. Nothing wrong with that but that package better work out or people will be citing "the Callahan trade" for years if we don't live up to expectations, kinda like the "Brad Park trade". I'm gonna miss him, he reminds me of everything that the Rangers weren't when we had that 7 year playoff drought with a roster full of passionless hired guns. The thing we were missing all those years, that win, lose, or draw we,re going to compete and play hard every shift.

I don't fault Callahan or management for whatever happens, it's just a business decision that unfortunately involves a person most of us admire.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
The Rangers will do nothing for him if he blows a knee out in the last year of the contract.

The players union - any union - hates the idea of a hometown discount. Callahan turning down a guaranteed 2/12 million has an impact on the rest of the market.

So his family, his agent, other GMs and the unions are telling him to take the bigger contract, but he needs to ignore them and listen to fans, who will have no say when he needs to renegotiate a new contract in 5 years.

Look man, you have no idea what his family is saying. And just bc the head of the union wants him to take a bigger contract. What he should head to EDM bc they say so????

Nobody here should be telling callahan to stay. OR that he should or he's a mercenary. I hate unions, I hate big business, I hate the culture of it all.

Lets see what the guy decides for himself. Maybe his family wants to stay in NY. Maybe his wife with a newborn wants the grandparents nearby to help out. For you to say his family are telling him to take the bigger contract. How would you ever know that. Maybe your family's that way. But I know a lot of families that would simply say do what makes you happy.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Not to clarkson, it isn't.

If someone is willing to pay clarkson that money, multiple teams will be willing to pay cally 7 at 42.

Yeah, just like that contract to Holik wasn't funny to Holik, but at the end of they day, it was a joke contract.

Nightshift

Mar 22, 2013
Callahan is living in fantasy land if he expects 7/42. If some desperate club wants to fork that over like Toronto did with Clarkson to fill a pressing need, go right ahead. It's been nice knowing you Ryan. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad