Rumor: Trade Rumors Thread XV: Rangers allowing a team to talk to Callahan

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Exactly. So don't talk about a player not having loyalty to the team when you have no loyalty to the player.

the player didn't pay the fan 19 million and offer 30 million more to be a fan for 6 more years. apples and oranges.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Certainly not, but again, the logo on front is irrelevant to the man we're talking about.

He plays his heart off for that logo as long has he is contracted to the club. That does not mean he should pledge loyalty to the club and take 30 mill if he thinks he can get 42.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
He plays his heart off for that logo as long has he is contracted to the club. That does not mean he should pledge loyalty to the club and take 30 mill if he thinks he can get 42.

Not to mention that the club he works his butt off for is telling him he is worth far less than other teams would pay him...

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
It's rather amusing that the arguments for cally taking less money have been boiled down to "he should love NYC"

That's really all you guys have as an argument.

Come on man. Your the first on my ignore list. Your generalizations are lame.

Im telling you how I see it. Ive stated in numerous posts over the last week the guys earned there rights to make their own decision no matter what is it. They didn't even need to earn. Everyone has that inalienable right.

Some posters do use the word "should". I never say what someone else should do. Thats the beauty of this experience, no one can tell someone else what they "should" do.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
You cant fault a player for wanting two more years of stability as a millionaire. You dont know what his long-term goals are, or his family's say in it.

Fans call guys greedy because they leave a team over a two year difference. Common sense says its smarter to have 12 combined million as a 35 and 36 year old than go into free agency again as an aging, beat-up 35 year old and likely ending up with 3 million a year on a one or two year deal.

Plus, you dont know his family situation. He's married with kids. Who knows? Maybe his wife hates NY. Maybe he hates the city. Maybe his parents want him to go someplace else. You just never know.

Fans get too possessive of players. Theyre adults with adult concerns. Its the agents job to break down all the numbers of cost of living, taxes, time away from family etc.

When Callahan sees option A (Rangers) and Option B (Free Agency), the numbers are so black and white only a fool would turn it down.

Loyalty and fans get thrown out the window when your making an extra 4 million a year.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Again, sorry (Not really) that people believe $30 million == peanuts/minimum wage.

And I am sorry that you don't comprehend the fact that those extra 12 mill could make sure that not only is the player himself set for life, but his kids and grandkids too. Providing for your family does not have to equate just covering the day to day expenses.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
screw the business, I've had a longstanding dream of watching Cally hand the cup to Hank.

If you ask me, trading Cally is a message to the club that they don't matter to management. get ready for another decade of mercenary play.

I do agree with this, whole-heartedly. I don't see how guys like Stepan or McDonagh or Staal would see it any differently.

Last edited:

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
And I am sorry that you don't comprehend the fact that those extra 12 mill could make sure that not only is the player himself set for life, but his kids and grandkids too. Providing for your family does not have to equate just covering the day to day expenses.

And what if Sather budges and still offers him 6 years, 35 million? Will you still say "hey, that's $7 million" Cally has to think about?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
$30 million for him I think is more than adequate. Wouldn't you agree?

Like I said. If there are teams willing to pay him significantly more, why aren't the rangers also willing to do so? Do they have no loyalty to their captain?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Sather is doing the right thing here. The offer is fair for what the player brings. There's no good reason to fart around--play wait and see. Cally could get injured again.

Allowing other teams to negotiate with Callahan turns him into a non-rental if he were to agree and increases his trade value.

I wouldn't be happy to see Callahan go somewhere but the situation is what it is. I understand Callahan's outlook on this as well. The owners cap the players earnings--don't cap their own ability to make a profit--why should Callahan then cost control himself?--when he can make a lot more somewhere else. Girardi is pretty much willing to do that but not everyone is the same.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
And what if Sather budges and still offers him 6 years, 35 million? Will you still say "hey, that's $7 million" Cally has to think about?
If Sather goes to 35 I'll be upset with Sather, because I think he already offered Cally too much if the reports are true.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I think it's all a bunch of irrelevant semantics.

The important question is: is there a team Callahan is willing to go to that will offer 7 years? I'm not sure at all. Which is why I think it is possible he stays.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Thing called overpayment.

And from Callys perspective. With multiple teams offering him far more money, the rangers are offering him drastic underpayment, and are showing no loyalty to him.

You can pin this either way. All that matters is that the rangers aren't willing to give him what other teams are. Is it wrong for cally to take more money? Not any more wrong than it is for the rangers to not be willing to match what other teams offer.

If you think other teams are offering far more than they should, then you trade him, because they value him more than you do.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
We're all incredibly biased. We're all die-hard NYR fans, most of us since birth. Obviously, we'd be more likely to take a discount than a player that has no intrinsic love for the team.

Callahan played his ass off for this team while he was under contract. All that matters. Hell, even as a diehard NYR fan, I'd take the extra 12M in a heartbeat. As long as I wasn't going to Edmonton, Calgary, or Winnipeg, I'd be happy.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I think it's all a bunch of irrelevant semantics.

The important question is: is there a team Callahan is willing to go to that will offer 7 years? I'm not sure at all. Which is why I think it is possible he stays.

His agent seems to think so and with Sather allowing other teams to start talks, I would assume he also thinks Callahan could get close to what he wants.

If he doesn't get what he wants now, teams could still be willing to offer that in July when they won't have to give up assets. I think it is fairly certain that he is gone.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Ha! What!?! Cally's *reported* contract demands are outrageous for a player of his calibre. Who knows what he's really looking for. A 6 or 7 year contract for Callahan just isn't wise.

He can't stay healthy. He's put up 50 points or more just once in his career. He's not fitting in with AV's system, as noted by his absence on the PP, where he made his bread and butter in the Tortorella regime.

If Cally was looking for a 5 year, $5m per contract - I'd lock him up no problem; but 6 or 7 years looking for $6m++!?!?! Come on, Cally. Enjoy moving back to Buffalo, kiddo. I think he'll do well there to round out his career.

If it comes down to one or the other, and that's what it's kind of looking like, Girardi is the more important player to re-sign not only for the team on the ice, but for the business.

Are you surprised at all with players like clarkson and leino got that Callahan's agent would be asking for what he is asking. The players agent high balls, the team low balls. and they dance to the middle. Or they find a new dance partner.

Based upon what some guys in the league are making, Callahan is definitely deserving of having more respect then those players. And in the game of capitalism, respect is defined by compensation. So for callahan to think he deserves that money in relation to what other guys make, is totally understandable. You don't know if behind closed doors, he's also saying, 'crap, yeah I'm happy with 33 million, cah ching'. But in the same way he gives these bland answers after games. He's not gonna undermine his agent by giving that up to the media or the front office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad