From a 1 to 10 how happy or not are you about our 1st round of the draft?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

From a 1 to 10 how happy or not are you about our 1st round of the draft?

• Total voters

Johnnyduck

Aug 24, 2010
Newport Beach
8 out of 10 for me, the more I watch Sennecke, the more I like/get it. I just keep envisioning him doing what he does with 35 more pounds and maybe another vertical inch when all things are said and done. Also when that does happen, him on a line with Leo and Cut... Scary. Good luck NHL trying to contain that.

So I don't mind the pick, its understandable why he was their guy. What I have a slight problem with, is that I just feel we MAYBE could've moved back 3-5 picks and still landed him. And that would've been better for everyone. the kid wouldn't feel more pressure, Verbeek and Madden could avoid the hot seat if he doesn't pan out, the org likely gets another asset and the fans would have greater understanding/patience. But thats not went down so, anywhoooo

Stian Solberg was my Brothers "guy" (He's Kings fan) and boy did I almost need a change of shorts when we announced our pick, if you were at the sphere and heard a burst of laughter echoing through the concourse after Sudsy made the pick, that was me...
But absolutely LOVE the pick, how could you not, we got incredibly lucky.

All in all we added two fantastic prospects that add to our rich blend of Skill and Bite.

I also F*$&ing hate that Seravalli was right, hate that clown.

Last edited:

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
7 for me.

Sennecke is a good player and is a top 10 player but third overall..... Not too sure. I'm pretty much indifferent, don't think it's a horrible pick but don't think it's fantastic either at this point. I can see the upside there, but banking on a two month of top 5 level production and a growth spurt is risky.

Really happy with the Solberg pick and think we got excellent value at 23. He's going to be a very nice addition to our core.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I went with 8. Although I didn't have us taking Sennecke, I totally see why they felt he was the biggest upside play and can be a huge part of what is being built.

Solberg pick is an easy one to love. Anytime you can step up in the later first and get a Dman who seems so sure to at least be a solid foot soldier, it's a no brainer. I love his game and it should compliment the D we already have.

I've already been up three hours (was passing out right at the end of round one). Can we get day two started already?

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
7 on Sennecke. I know we all play armchair GM, but I really do think Sennecke could have been available until at least pick 6 and we could have got additional assets with him. That said, I don't think he's going to be a bust - hope he proves he deserves that 3OA.

9 on Solberg. The "most violent man in the draft" could bring some serious nastiness to the blue line...but most importantly, this guy can do it without compromising defensively. From what I've heard / read, his errors are more from the perspective of trying to get a bit too cute at times with the puck rather than defensive miscues or overcommitting. Even if he doesn't show too much offence at this level, he can still defend with the best in the draft. And I'll always trust Madden with a defenceman pick - that's just how it goes.

Last edited:

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018

Didn't feel strongly about anyone at 3rd other than avoiding Buium, so it's easy for me to like the fact that we went "off the board." Although, was that really a thing this year? The major sticking point had always been Cellebrini was going 1st and everyone threw their hands up about the next 10-12 players.

Regardless, Beckett is a cool name (so is Stian). And what about that reaction?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What upsets me, we could have played .500 hockey last season, start to look more competitive and not be the bottom of the barrel and still could have landed this pick.

Other than that, it’s hard to vote for how I feel about the pick. Will let you know in a couple of years. Lol.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm at a 9 or 10 with the 1st round. Went in horrified thinking that Buium would be the pick and was grateful he wasn't.

Watching Sennecke and Demidov highlights I see a lot of similarities between the two players except that Sennecke is 2.5 inches taller and just scratching the surface of his potential. I'm good with that pick.

Sohlberg is just a homerun pick at 23 and takes a lot of the sting away from passing on Silayev. Perfect pick for the organization. Only thing that would have made it better was if he was right-handed.

I feel more comfortable about solberg being a good pick then I do silayev at 3.

The issue with silayev to me is that I don’t think he ends up chara/hedman type and prob closer to like Tyler myers…. Which is a terrible pick at 3. Solberg is big and physical…. And at pick 23 he seems to have nhl floor with none of the expectations you woulda had for saliyev.

You can find big physical shut down dmen in late 1st and throughout the 2nd…. You can’t really find top end skill/talent at that range tho

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
8 for me.

This is one of those rare drafts where I feel like the Ducks walked away with two future impact players in the first round. I love the move to grab Solberg. Sennecke is one of those picks where we just have to trust Madden on I think, but he's one of the best in the NHL so I'm sure it will turn out just fine.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I voted 7 overall. The only reason it's that high is because of pick 23. I like Solberg a lot. I feel he is already close to being what you expect him to be. A real meat and potatoes D man with a streak of nasty that this team sorely needs. A guy who will fill a huge need without needing to be a top pair guy. That's huge value.

Not very enthused with Sennecke. Seems like his ceiling is a ways off and way more risky than I would expect for a 3OA. This team's track record drafting Fs early is not encouraging. Hoping for the best, fearing we end up with less than the best.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I voted 8. Love the Solberg pick. Sennecke has lots of potential. But it sure feels like they passed on a 100 point winger for an 80 point winger.

But what do I know? A hell of a lot less than the scouts that's for sure.

Reactions: Yemeth

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Neutral fan who is intrigued by all things draft.

Wondering what Ducks' fans would have thought about the offer Chicago made to CBJ.

It seems the consensus is that Sennecke is a few years away, so maybe a 2025 pick has similar value. Opinions?

Ont

Jun 27, 2011
London, UK
So once again, where are the examples of this happening? Because I have a lot of examples of NCAA players causing issues.

What Russian didn’t come over?
What Russian was forced to stay in Russia (other then the ones that were in active military duty the same way an American would be forced to finish his military contract)?

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The US has professional armies and a future prospect would have to enlist to be bound by a military contract.

Finland has a mandatory military service (or civil service) for men above 18. The Finnish NHL players can complete their service within 6 months in a system that gives them additional freedoms to exercise for their sport.

The Russian military service is a corrupt system in which the rich and the members of elite can completely avoid it. It can also be used as a tool by the politicians to make an example of future NHL player, and trap them in Russia at least for a while.

Most recently Ivan Fedotov - who had a made contract with Flyers - was arrested in Russia and sent to do his military service in remote location in Siberia. A year which unlikely helped his development.

Let’s also not forget how Malkin’s Russian team tried trap him in Russia and how Malkin had to covertly escape to the US via Finland to play in the NHL.

So no, Russian system is not comparable to other countries. It is a very unpredictable system which is subject to the whims of dictator who launched an invasion that will see more Russians being forced to enlist as their losses in Ukraine keep increasing. Not to mention the fact that Russia is on path to become another North Korea where transactions of any kind with Russian companies and teams are becoming more difficult. Or the the fact that players like Ovechkin have been part “Team Putin” to promote a genocidal dictator who normalised political murders in Russia.

The bottom line is that there are real risks that come with drafting Russian players.

Last edited:

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Neutral fan who is intrigued by all things draft.

Wondering what Ducks' fans would have thought about the offer Chicago made to CBJ.

It seems the consensus is that Sennecke is a few years away, so maybe a 2025 pick has similar value. Opinions?
Chicago's 2025 1st could easily be worse than pick 3 so not only would we drop in position we would lose a year of development in the player we draft

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Chicago's 2025 1st could easily be worse than pick 3 so not only would we drop in position we would lose a year of development in the player we draft
But since it will be a lottery pick it would depend on how you rate the top of the draft, especially 1OA compared to Sennecke. You would not have that opportunity otherwise and that is a franchise changer, Sennecke probably not.

I think next year looks pretty stacked up top, with Misa, Frondell, Hagens, Spence.

Oct 18, 2011
Anaheim continue to emphasize size with their picks. I'm not gonna complain about Sennecke here, he's still a good prospect even if you don't like where we picked him. Organizational depth is pretty good, now we need it to translate into wins

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
8 out of 10 for me, the more I watch Sennecke, the more I like/get it. I just keep envisioning him doing what he does with 35 more pounds and maybe another vertical inch when all things are said and done. Also when that does happen, him on a line with Leo and Cut... Scary. Good luck NHL trying to contain that.

So I don't mind the pick, its understandable why he was their guy. What I have a slight problem with, is that I just feel we MAYBE could've moved back 3-5 picks and still landed him. And that would've been better for everyone. the kid wouldn't feel more pressure, Verbeek and Madden could avoid the hot seat if he doesn't pan out, the org likely gets another asset and the fans would have greater understanding/patience. But thats not went down so, anywhoooo

Stian Solberg was my Brothers "guy" (He's Kings fan) and boy did I almost need a change of shorts when we announced our pick, if you were at the sphere and heard a burst of laughter echoing through the concourse after Sudsy made the pick, that was me...
But absolutely LOVE the pick, how could you not, we got incredibly lucky.

All in all we added two fantastic prospects that add to our rich blend of Skill and Bite.

I also F*$&ing hate that Seravalli was right, hate that clown.
Seravalli was just parroting what others had already said.

Anyway. It's a 7 for me.

I'm trying to reserve judgment about Sennecke but this feels like an upside gamble. I like the kid and of course I'm hoping he's incredibly successful. It's not like I don't have qualms about the other forwards behind him (I still don't think Demidov is quite the slam dunk everyone seems to think. He clammed up against VHL and KHL competition. It's very possible the Habs didn't quite get a Michkov here) but this is a lot of just speculative hope that the kid can continue to have a rocketing development trajectory.

Loved the Solberg trade and pick. He's got a lot of the traits I was hoping to get from Silayev minus the size/skating combo. More hitting for sure which should be fun to watch.

The second round and on picks seem to have decent upside for later picks.

Solid draft but not the best.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
But since it will be a lottery pick it would depend on how you rate the top of the draft, especially 1OA compared to Sennecke. You would not have that opportunity otherwise and that is a franchise changer, Sennecke probably not.

I think next year looks pretty stacked up top, with Misa, Frondell, Hagens, Spence.
The worst team in the league only has a 25% chance to win the lottery. You don't make a move like that with odds like that.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I gave it an 8. I think moving up and taking Solberg at 23 is a 10.

If Demidov is Kucherov 2.0, then we missed on the 3rd OA pick plain and simple.

I don't think any of the D-men available warranted a top 3 pick. Buium was interesting, but another LHD at 3 doesn't fill a need and adds to the logjam. The problem is being able to move a prospect before he becomes a viable NHL player. There would never be a return that is commensurate to the 3OA that was spent. And if Zellweger is moved, do you get a Sennecke back in return?

I "really really" didn't want another natural center that the Ducks have to convert, especially a LH shot. The Zegras to wing experiment has been a disaster for all parties involved.

If Sennecke turns out to be a top line RH power forward, then this is a great pick, pending Demidov's success. I still think the only other choice was Demidov.

John

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad