Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Pesce's done it before and done it well. He did it with Faulk. Why are people continuing to fail to grasp this?

So I did not realize this. He did do it, his results were meh (he was better with any left-shooting D over the same time period), and it went so well that the Canes did not try it again after Faulk left.

It would not be something I would be signing a player for 8% of the cap to do, to play a position they have ~35 games worth of experience at when they have ~600 games of experience at a position that they play better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
In a world where we even signed Stamkos, do we just play him on wing? Move Jack to wing semi permanently? We aren’t literally putting Nico or one of them at 3C

Reactions: My3Sons

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah other moves you could at least put forth a justifiable reason. We let Boqvist walk so he could go sign a f***ing minimum. It 100% had to be Fitz just going “tOo sMaLl”. He should’ve been retained and it also should’ve been Suter over Nosek.

They let Boqvist walk because he didn't have a role. He wasn't going to be in the opening night lineup if the team was healthy, he doesn't kill penalties, and he didn't play on the power play. The Devils replaced him with Tierney who was used as a PKer for most of the season.

Now that said, could they have used Boqvist when injuries hit, absolutely, but I don't know that you want young players sitting out as spare forwards.

Boqvist could end up signing in Europe this season even as he had the same year in Boston as he had here. GMs and coaches just don't have much use for this kind of player and it sucks to be on waivers/not know where you will play and for how long.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Stamkos would play a total of like 35 games with us if we signed him. Feels like a LTIR shell game in the making....

LET'S DO IT

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Us going after a prime LTIR candidate right after they said they're going to start taking LTIR abuse more seriously just makes so much. Just like with the absurd contracts we’ll be the only ones to get dinged for something everyone was doing

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Us going after a prime LTIR candidate right after they said they're going to start taking LTIR abuse more seriously just makes so much. Just like with the absurd contracts we’ll be the only ones to get dinged for something everyone was doing
Maybe Fitz will be suspended a year for IR manipulation after being fired like the last Mets GM lol

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Stamkos would play a total of like 35 games with us if we signed him. Feels like a LTIR shell game in the making....

LET'S DO IT

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
honestly was gonna make this exact post. get injured before the deadline, make some moves and come back for the playoffs. let’s go baby

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
biggest needs are still quality center depth and versatility and i still hope we take a run at stephenson.
integral part of two different stanley cup teams and somewhat underrated.
play him as c or w with jack and this contract will look good a year from now. quality c will probably get paid around 8m and also will be easy to move 3 years from now, if we decide to spent the money somewhere esle.
also we wont fall apart if one of our c gets injured and honestely who is gonna bet that jack and nico will play close to 80 games and then go on a deep playoff run.

bratt-hischier-mercer
hughes-stephenson-meier

bratt-hischer-meier
stephenson-hughes-mercer

bratt-hischer-mercer
XbangerX-hughes-meier
palat-stephenson-haula

good options and we get much deeper

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
biggest needs are still quality center depth and versatility and i still hope we take a run at stephenson.
play him as c or w with jack and this contract will look good a year from now. quality c will probably get paid around 8m and also will be easy to move 3 years from now, if we decide to spent the money somewhere esle.
also we wont fall apart if one of our c gets injured and honestely who is gonna bet that jack and nico will play close to 80 games and then go on a deep playoff run.

bratt-hischier-mercer
hughes-stephenson-meier

bratt-hischer-meier
stephenson-hughes-mercer

bratt-hischer-mercer
XbangerX-hughes-meier
palat-stephenson-haula

I don’t think Stephenson’s all that good anymore but I definitely agree with the overall point. A middle 6 W/C and a 4C are musts. I think we need 3 forwards but at a minimum it’s those 2 holes that we should be filling

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

bratt-hischier-mercer
hughes-stephenson-meier

bratt-hischer-meier
stephenson-hughes-mercer

bratt-hischer-mercer
XbangerX-hughes-meier
palat-stephenson-haula

Are you saying pay Stephenson $8 million/year?! I hope that is not what you're saying.

the Centers are going to be Hughes. Hischier, and Haula. Stephenson is not really what we need.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I’d steer clear of Stephenson.

Pretty sure like he was propped up a bit by his linemates, notably Stone.

Good player, but probably is going to cash in on a bad contract thinking he’s a high end 2C.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Good player, but probably is going to cash in on a bad contract thinking he’s a high end 2C.

I saw his card the other day and I was honestly shocked by how bad it was.

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
Are you saying pay Stephenson $8 million/year?! I hope that is not what you're saying.

the Centers are going to be Hughes. Hischier, and Haula. Stephenson is not really what we need.
no, i didnt, i said quality c will get paid around 8m next year. expect stephenson something around 6m. marek said on his podcast that there is people from the league thinking stephenson is still underrated bce him playing in the shadow of eichel, marchessault, theodore etc.
apparently vegas offered him 5m/5 and he declined (source friedman). you really have to take into account the VKG saison and there injuries. cotter play with him a lot the first half of the season while theodore still was healthy, the guy was fantasy relevant for some time and i really like that trade

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018

i would argue stone dragging him down when it comes to defence bc he is getting sloooow.
this team needs guys that can play defence (top lines). we could use a bit depth scoring i agree and i think zucker could be a short term solution for this.
back to stephenson, just bc he scored a little less doesnt mean he was bad like some make it sound, its just not true when you watched the games. they had injuries and his linemates where far from competent once they lost the puck/didnt score. the guy is underrated

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
i would argue stone dragging him down when it comes to defence bc he is getting sloooow.
this team needs guys that can play defence (top lines). we could use a bit depth scoring i agree and i think zucker could be a short term solution for this.
back to stephenson, just bc he scored a little less doesnt mean he was bad like some make it sound, its just not true when you watched the games. they had injuries and his linemates where far from competent once they lost the puck/didnt score. the guy is underrated

lol WHAT

Mark Stone is and has been the best defensive winger in the league.

Reactions: Alex NJD

woody footbreaker

Mar 12, 2018
lol WHAT

Mark Stone is and has been the best defensive winger in the league.
lol was what for you to get back ... "has been" is exactly the point here.
anyway, i made my points.
the point is probably, if pesce signs for 6m and we soon gonna find out.
hope, they have a backup plan, if he signs somewhere else.
my point is, if the backup plan is a cheaper solution like hakenpää for example, we could have something around 12m to spent on forwards even after mercer signing

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad